Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs
Have respect for each other
1  2  Next

Yael

Post Mon, Jan 14 2013, 11:08 pm
Lately we have had a couple of threads in which some posters got the idea that it was ok to make fun of different halachik practices that they do not keep or agree with.

I want to make it clear that it is never ok to mock any halacha, hashkafa, minhag, custom, or whatever.

The beauty of Imamother is that it brings together all types of frum jews so we can all learn from and about each other. I would hate it if any posters felt that Imamother could not be a safe space for them, because every time they gave an honest answer giving a source for a halacha or minhag, some one else would make fun of it, or put down their source.

I truly wish for every frum woman to feel welcome here and respected in her path of judaism.

This new trend of mocking others' practices will not be allowed to continue.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 12:03 am
Thank you.

I don't know if it's the long winter months in half of the world, but I've noticed that a lot of people are being a lot more snarky than usual.

Step away from the computer and go eat some chocolate! Very Happy

September June

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 12:16 am
Thank you Yael.

Nicole

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 3:08 am
hear, hear!
Wait, is it "hear" or "here"? I never thought of that...

chani8

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 4:48 am
Nicole wrote:
hear, hear!

Hear, here!!

chani8

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 4:49 am
Can we get an example of this mocking so that I will make sure it doesn't come from me. I don't think I mock, ever, but I can be challenging.

vicki

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 6:22 am
chani8 wrote:
Nicole wrote:
hear, hear!

Hear, here!!

I'm pretty sure it's "hair, hair!".

theprocastinator

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 7:40 am
Thank you.

I thought I was the only one who is disturbed by all this mocking and bashing.

tissues

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 9:01 am
chani8 wrote:
Can we get an example of this mocking so that I will make sure it doesn't come from me. I don't think I mock, ever, but I can be challenging.

If you are questioning because you want to understand is ok.

Examples which are not ok are giving a rebuttal which is not a question, saying that keeping certain halachos are similar to the lowest dregs of society, making any statement about the individual person who is explaining a general practice, or asking a question which is not really questioning.

These are what I've seen and felt were inappropriate. Feel free to disagree. Smile

chanab

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 10:09 am
Thank-you Yael. I know I have been very uncomfortable about this lately. People have been making fun of minhagim and halachos that they don't keep which are brought down in the holiest of sforim.....

CatLady

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 10:15 am
vicki wrote:
chani8 wrote:
Nicole wrote:
hear, hear!

Hear, here!!

I'm pretty sure it's "hair, hair!".

I don't cover, but if I did, it'd be hair, hair LOL LOL

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 10:41 am
Then again we need to distinguish between out and out scoffing which is A very serious issur and many frumalehs that are take themselves so seriously they are headed for a nervous breakdown c"v.
So it becomes a case of the boy who cried wolf.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 10:53 am
I guess I've been missing all the fun. I was wondering if this was going to be addressing respecting others' husbands, even if the OP might make it a challenge.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 11:04 am
Like, PF!

BTW, as a mod, I'm including speaking ill of rabbonim in this. I will be more heavy handed that I have in the past now that Yael has made this announcement.

tissues

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 11:09 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
Then again we need to distinguish between out and out scoffing which is A very serious issur and many frumalehs that are take themselves so seriously they are headed for a nervous breakdown c"v.

And what's YOUR problem with that? If a frumaleh takes herself seriously, why do you feel you need to mock it? Don't we all want to be taken seriously? I'm sorry, but this post itself is quite offensive.

theprocastinator

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 11:20 am
naturalmom5 wrote:

I am far from being a "frummy", I don't keep any of the Gerre customs, in fact I have never heard of most of them mentioned on Imamother, and I grew up in a Gerre home. I don't even send my kids to a Chassidishe school.

Yet, I found the comments on the Gerre thread extremely offensive and have let a mod know that.

chilled

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 12:54 pm
theprocastinator wrote:
naturalmom5 wrote:

I am far from being a "frummy", I don't keep any of the Gerre customs, in fact I have never heard of most of them mentioned on Imamother, and I grew up in a Gerre home. I don't even send my kids to a Chassidishe school.

Yet, I found the comments on the Gerre thread extremely offensive and have let a mod know that.

Then you can choose to respectfully stay out of those threads that don't pertain to you and that you have little interest in showing support for. Comments in the Gerrer thread consisted mainly of a lot of pain shared, a great many wonderful supportive posters who were grateful and shown a genuine interest.... and a dab of enlightened Ger women who got uncomfortable at the spotlight being shown on the dark side of Ger. What was offensive to you that prompted you to tell a mod?

bamamama

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 1:35 pm
tissues wrote:
chani8 wrote:

If you are questioning because you want to understand is ok.

Examples which are not ok are giving a rebuttal which is not a question, saying that keeping certain halachos are similar to the lowest dregs of society, making any statement about the individual person who is explaining a general practice, or asking a question which is not really questioning.

These are what I've seen and felt were inappropriate. Feel free to disagree. Smile

And this is a slippery slope. What you may perceive as an impertinent question may be someone who really is interested to see if there's an answer. Kids go OTD because too many people think questioning is impertinent. Especially when it comes to hard questions which poke holes in belief systems. A system MUST be able to stand up to even the toughest questions if we wish for it to remain valid.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 1:55 pm
There are ways to tone a question.

"I don't understand, how can it be that a rav would say that if..." is fine.
"That shows rabbonim are stupid. How could he say something like that? Women know better." is not.

The latter is happening way too frequently on this site.

ElTam

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 2:45 pm
chani8, I'm sure if it were you (or me or whoever), Yael would also be contacting us directly with a warning.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics