Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Anyone familiar with the IT job market in Israel?

Chani

Post Wed, Jan 31 2007, 4:21 pm
My husband and I have for a long time talked about making aliyah...starting to get more serious about it (yes, I just shelled out a fortune to get passports for all of the children today)...the one thing that makes us nervous is making a parnassah...My husband is a asp.net programmer with a masters in computer science (as well as a law degree for those who know us from other threads) and a lot of great experience in a forture 500 company which has a very good reputation in the states for IT. He does not, however, have very good skills in Ivrit. It would be extremely helpful if somebody could put him in touch with some programmers/contacts in Israel who could give him the lay of the land...especially of interest would be somebody who managed to figure out how to get a telecommuting job with an American salary! (if such things exist!) and, of course, an oleh who could give some guidance about timing the job search...and how to do it when you're in America busy earning a living so you have enough money to pay for the move!

shalhevet

Post Thu, Feb 01 2007, 2:31 am
Sorry I can't be of help, but have you tried asking Nefesh b'Nefesh or the AACI?

rise above

Post Thu, Feb 01 2007, 2:35 am
I actually work as a programmer for a American IT company in Israel..
you can pm me and I will find out if they are hiring...

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Feb 02 2007, 12:51 am
I have to agree with Shalhevet. the best way to find out abotu the job mrket is for sure, without a doubt AACI and Nefesh BNefesh. they know these things, that is their job.

Chani

Post Fri, Feb 02 2007, 2:24 am
We have been talking to nefeshbnefesh already...but they don't have the answers to some of my husband's questions. He really needs to talk to another programmer or two.

Elle

Post Fri, Feb 02 2007, 2:58 am
You can pm me for futher details I may be able to help you.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Feb 02 2007, 5:01 am
Chani wrote:
We have been talking to nefeshbnefesh already...but they don't have the answers to some of my husband's questions. He really needs to talk to another programmer or two.

post something on the janglo yahoo groups. its for anglos and they will answer many question.

withhumor

Post Fri, Feb 02 2007, 9:58 am
I’m in the IT business in NY and people email me all the time if I want to outsource to Israel. I don’t. I prefer to pay double and work with someone on the same schedule as me. It’s very difficult even if the programmer commits to being ‘awake’ on my time…. I’d feel bad calling them during the night if something is wrong.

What I know is that there are plenty of positions but the pay is very low. However the cost of living in Israel is lower too, so in comparison, it should work out okay.

I’m happy to hear that he knows .Net, it is the future, as I see it now. Good Luck.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics