Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Sinus surgery

minnie mouse

Post Sat, Jan 19 2013, 8:06 pm
My teenage dd has been suffering with sinus issues for yeard. She's taken countless doses of antibiotics, allergy shots with no relief. Ent has told us it's time for surgery. Anyone here have experience with such a surgery? How long is recovery? Any serious risks? Are there chances of recurring clogged sinuses? Any input is appreciated. Ent we are using is Dr. Weiss from Miamonodes

Bea21

Post Sat, Jan 19 2013, 9:27 pm
No personal experience, just knowledge from nursing school, that the surgery is often more trouble than what it helps, meaning that it usually doesn't help that much.

If you trust your ENT, please disregard what I said Very Happy

LALA2

Post Sat, Jan 19 2013, 10:00 pm
I don't know much about surgery...but I can sympathize because I'm in the same situation...does anyone have any answers that work?! I've heard surgery is not a great option as well, no matter how great the ENT is.

amother

Post Sat, Jan 19 2013, 10:26 pm
I had sinus surgery. The recovery is horrible. A week to 10 days of awfulness. Its less so the pain & bleeding. Its (similar to nose jobs) that you can't use your nose to breathe for all that time.

That said, I am so happy I did it. I can breathe through both sides of my nose! And - I can actually smell things!

If you decide to do it - ask the dr not to shave the inside of nose hair -makes it grow back more, for some people noticable.

Fox

Post Sun, Jan 20 2013, 1:52 pm
Before resorting to surgery, I recommend trying acupuncture. I suffered for approximately 45 years from chronic sinusitis. The headaches that resulted were frequently so bad that I couldn't move -- they were actually more like migraines.

I took every remedy that hit the market: antihistamines, allergy meds; headache meds . . . you name it and someone prescribed it for me, assuring me that surely this would solve my problem.

Eventually I tried acupuncture on the recommendation of my mother, who had recently discovered its efficacy in treating her pain from shingles. Within two sessions, my sinus headaches and chronic inflammation simply disappeared. Not everyone experiences such quick results, but it's definitely worth a try before undergoing surgery!

amother

Post Sun, Jan 20 2013, 1:56 pm
Fox, that is great. (SAmother who had the surgery) Do they do accupuncture on children? How young?

Fox

Post Sun, Jan 20 2013, 2:00 pm
Two of my kids also have chronic sinus problems, and my acupuncturist treated my then eight-year-old. It was very successful, and he tells me when he feels like he needs a treatment -- usually a few times a year.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 20 2013, 7:43 pm
Thanks Fox, any idea how to find a good one in NYC. Some of my children also suffer from csi but I wasn't rushing for surgery, they're still young.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics