Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Cleaning lady sings Christian songs

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Wed, Jan 31 2007, 1:55 pm
Did I handle this right?....

I like this cleaning woman. She's thorough and honest. I like that she's a religious person, too. I don't even mind the singing itself. But yesterday she was singing songs about Yoshke the whole time.

It bothered me. I didn't want to hear it in my home and didn't want my little ones to hear it.

I politely told her that I would prefer if she wouldn't sing religious songs in my home and that her other Jewish customers would probably feel the same way. (I think she only works for frum ladies) I apologized if she was offended.

She was very nice about it and agreed not to sing religious songs anymore.

Now I wonder if I was over-reacting? Really my kids have no idea what she was saying, with her heavy Jamaican accent she might as well have been speaking Greek.

Would you have handled it differently?

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Jan 31 2007, 2:03 pm
It sounds like you handled that very well.
It's your own home and you shouldn't have to listen to those types of songs.

su7kids

Post Wed, Jan 31 2007, 2:30 pm
I think you did right. Maybe you can play music tapes for your kids while she's in the house and maybe she'll learn those, who knows? But at least the atmosphere in the house will be right.

Basya

Post Wed, Jan 31 2007, 2:44 pm
If you play music when she is there-she probably won't sing over the music playing.

shlomitsmum

Post Wed, Jan 31 2007, 2:46 pm
You did the right thing!

You were clear assertive and respectful! she needs to know what is acceptable behaviour in your house. yeshka songs ....yuck!

You don't want your children learning that stuff H"V shalom. Kids learn songs very easily .

Once a cleaning lady brought her I -pod and was singing Beyonce songs really loud plus dancing too! DH got home from work saw this and spoke to her just like you did.
all this while I was cleaning the basement for pesach....I never knew what was going on. LOL

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Wed, Jan 31 2007, 4:16 pm
Thanks for your affirmations, everyone.

Since she's never sung christian songs in all the times she's been here before, I was wondering if she was doing it to get a reaction or to see if she could get away with it.

I feel like I'm being suspicious of her trying to make a christian influence on us.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette