Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Pre fabricated houses, anyone looked into it?

amother

Post Thu, Jan 24 2013, 8:31 pm
I have heard of this concept, instead of building a house, people buy a pre fabricated house. it comes in parts shipped to your lot, and hey build it within a few month. its much cheaper and faster that building. anyone did it?
prices? what are the pros and cons?

STovah

Post Thu, Jan 24 2013, 9:19 pm
I have a friend (non-Jewish, though don't know how that would make a diff) who "built" a pre-fab house in Pearl River, NY (Rockland County). She was very happy with the results and the costs.

amother

Post Sat, Jan 26 2013, 9:36 pm
do you know the name of the company she used?

amother

Post Sun, Jan 27 2013, 2:12 am
My husband is a contracter and when I showed him the prefab houses that I wanted to buy for a summer home he said you have to compare apples to apples and he can build it for much cheaper. So yes it does look cheap on paper but when you start looking at what you are getting everything is the cheapest and according to my husband would not last long.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 27 2013, 4:28 pm
Mishpacha magazine wrote an article about this a few yrs ago. It is cheaper but you have to have a good imagination because every little detail has to be decided in advance.
And like everything else in life, there are different qualities of prefab houses.

Last edited by amother on Fri, Dec 12 2014, 1:18 am; edited 1 time in total

cb

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 9:42 pm
just saw this post.
any more updates, opinions on prefabricated houses?

amother

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 9:48 pm
amother wrote:
My husband is a contracter and when I showed him the prefab houses that I wanted to buy for a summer home he said you have to compare apples to apples and he can build it for much cheaper. So yes it does look cheap on paper but when you start looking at what you are getting everything is the cheapest and according to my husband would not last long.

maybe because your dh is a contractor and he wouldn't be paying himself a salary to build it.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 10:48 pm
I'd like to design and print out one of these: http://3dprint.com/12034/3d-pr.....l-ny/

amother

Post Fri, Dec 12 2014, 12:10 am
I once quickly looked into adding a prefab second floor to my house.
In the end the pros were how fast it would be on, but I wouldn't really be saving too much.

ElTam

Post Fri, Dec 12 2014, 12:14 am
I know two people who did this. One was in Florida and is still living in the house over 10 years later and is happy. Friends of mine just did this, where they tore down their existing home and replaced it with a component house. (I think when you say prefab, people think trailer home, which these aren't.) My friends are very happy and found the process relatively painless. The construction of their entire home, two stories, three bedroom two bath, took two week longer than it to took for a contractor to remodel my bathroom.

cb

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 9:36 pm
ElTam wrote:
I know two people who did this. One was in Florida and is still living in the house over 10 years later and is happy. Friends of mine just did this, where they tore down their existing home and replaced it with a component house. (I think when you say prefab, people think trailer home, which these aren't.) My friends are very happy and found the process relatively painless. The construction of their entire home, two stories, three bedroom two bath, took two week longer than it to took for a contractor to remodel my bathroom.

can she share around how much she paid for it?

ElTam

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 11:24 pm
That's not a question I would ask. I know the home they demolished cost over $1 million including the land. Both families that did this are well-to-do.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics