Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
What does the name Tzivia mean?
1  2  Next

Beingreal

Post Sun, Jan 27 2013, 12:33 pm
My husbands grandmother's name was Tzivia and I was wondering the meaning of it...

amother

Post Sun, Jan 27 2013, 1:24 pm
A female deer

Beingreal

Post Sun, Jan 27 2013, 1:25 pm
Thanks...my son's name is Tzvi so do you think it would be a problem?

Tamiri

Post Sun, Jan 27 2013, 1:27 pm
Beingreal wrote:
Yes. Maybe you would want to go with Ayala instead. I think an Ayal is a mountain goat, pretty close to a deer.....

b from nj

Post Sun, Jan 27 2013, 1:29 pm
Tamiri wrote:
Beingreal wrote:
Yes.

Not necessarily. I know of families that have sons & daughters named after the same ppl. Ask your LOR...

Tamiri

Post Sun, Jan 27 2013, 1:30 pm
I did not mean halachically. I meant that it would be sort of strange to have a Tzvi and Tzvia siblings.

b from nj

Post Sun, Jan 27 2013, 1:38 pm
Tamiri wrote:
I did not mean halachically. I meant that it would be sort of strange to have a Tzvi and Tzvia siblings.

I don't think it's strange especially when there is a specific person in mind that you are naming after so why change the name to Ayala if you like the name Tzivia anyhow? I can only see changing a name if you really don't like the way it sounds (for example a yiddish name that you'd prefer the hebrew version of it etc).

Shuly

Post Sun, Jan 27 2013, 5:43 pm
I was under the impression that Tzivia and Tzvia are different names.

agreer

Post Sun, Jan 27 2013, 6:05 pm
I know a family with a Yehuda and a Yehudis...another w/ a boruch and a bracha... and no, not named after the same person.... it's not so weird.

b from nj

Post Sun, Jan 27 2013, 6:20 pm
Shuly wrote:
I was under the impression that Tzivia and Tzvia are different names.

Same name just different pronunciation.

Miri1

Post Sun, Jan 27 2013, 10:16 pm
Tzivia is a name from the Tanach - she was a queen mother in Yehuda - mother of Yehoash who became king when he was seven. I think Tzivia (or Tzviya, its doublet - not in Tanach) is a beautiful name.

LiLIsraeli

Post Sun, Jan 27 2013, 10:18 pm
I know a family who has a Tzvi and a Tzivia - named after different people.

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Jan 28 2013, 12:02 am
The beautiful deer of the desert is the White Oryx. There are also beautiful Ibex. I don't know if there is a name possibility there.

Miri1

Post Mon, Jan 28 2013, 12:27 am
I think ibex would be Yael.

How about a different type of twist - like Tzofiah?

Or as a middle name?

amother

Post Mon, Jan 28 2013, 1:10 am
Today on onlysimchas I saw a yoni married to a yonah, which I think is MUCH weirder (and cool!) than having a tzvi and a tzivia. Eventually tzivia will IYH get married and change her last name so you'll have a Tzvi ____ and a Tzivi >>>> and no one will even know they're sibs...

Isramom8

Post Mon, Jan 28 2013, 1:14 am
I think Tzvia is just the Israeli way of pronouncing Tzivia.

Tzivia/Tzvia and Tzvi do sound similar, but it's okay to have kids with similar sounding names, like Baruch and Bracha. Personally I think I'd avoid it unless I had a special reason to name a similar-sounding name.

shalhevet

Post Mon, Jan 28 2013, 2:44 am
Isramom8 wrote:
I think Tzvia is just the Israeli way of pronouncing Tzivia.

No, they are two different names. Same letters, different vowels. Someone already said Tzivia was the mother of Yoash.

Isramom8

Post Mon, Jan 28 2013, 6:59 am
The only reason they have different vowels is that modern Israeli Jews called their daughters Tzvia instead of Tzivia, like their grandmothers. Tzvia is the modern version. Don't they mean the same thing, a female deer?

shalhevet

Post Mon, Jan 28 2013, 7:35 am
Isramom8 wrote:
The only reason they have different vowels is that modern Israeli Jews called their daughters Tzvia instead of Tzivia, like their grandmothers. Tzvia is the modern version. Don't they mean the same thing, a female deer?

So what if they have the same meaning. So do Orit and Ora, but they are not the same name. Tzivia is a name from Tanach and Tzvia is a female version of Tzvi. Probably Tzvia is used more, but it does not make it the same name.

b from nj

Post Mon, Jan 28 2013, 7:53 am
Isramom8 wrote:

I agree with Isramom that Tzvia & Tzivia are the same name & usually not the other Tzivia that Shalhevet & someone else mentioned here (mother of Yehoash)..
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names