Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
What do you serve 10, w/h last minute notice?
1  2  3  4  Next

Tefila

Post Fri, May 06 2005, 2:13 pm
Help!!!
I have just been informed 10 Israeli soilders out of 200 from the airforce something division, that are on vacation near here. Are coming to stay by us the whole of Shabbos. Well sleeping is not the issue B'H we have a private entrance and washroom in our basement plus beds and loads of matresses. But what do I serve them I've already cooked for Shabbos. (Well they are guys so hopefully anything will do).
This is going to happen for the next 4 Shabboses so if u can't help me if not for today atleast for next week.
Hope after this they will even want to come back ( but talk about last minute) ..... oh dear and I'm on the computer shock

proudmom

Post Fri, May 06 2005, 2:17 pm
just cook everything again 10x the amount.

gryp

Post Fri, May 06 2005, 2:21 pm
do you have lots of challah?

can you add extra potatoes to the cholent?

do you have enough vegetables to make a huge vegetable salad?

can you make a bunch of simple dips/dressings? mayonnaise and chrain, mayonnaise and ketchup, mayonnaise and mustard.... (not my style either but lots of guys actually LIKE mayonnaise)

are you planning on making an extra kugel or something? apple kugel is very easy.

gryp

Post Fri, May 06 2005, 2:27 pm
knaidlach in the soup! everyone loves them and theyre easy.

corn salad- cans of corn, diced tomatoes and pickles, a drop of mayonnaise, salt, pepper, garlic. it goes very far and simple.

what will you do about fish? maybe youre all stocked up in your freezer and have a bunch to spare?

proudmom

Post Fri, May 06 2005, 2:34 pm
make a stir fry with a lot of veggies, make pies like a sweet potatoe pie. very easy to make. make egg salad, pasta salad potatoe salad cole slaw

Tefila

Post Fri, May 06 2005, 2:42 pm
Ok so far this is what I've done plonked 5 fish loaves into boiled water seasoned and onions and carrots nonething fancy but hopefully they won't notice! Chicken b"h for cut up ones stored in my freezer, well took out loads may last us all week if they can't eat it all Rolling Eyes Can't take a chance though! poured duck sauce over it. Will let it defrost and then bake it in the oven.
Cakes I'm ok b/c I always bake in advance and icecream my son made tons of yesterday. Kugel I really don't want to make another one. So I'll just make Potatoe suprise basically boiled potatoes seasoned and baked it's called suprise coz you never know how it will turn out! Rolling Eyes
Salads I like the idea of the canned corn Thanks rg, and maybe I'll make macaroni for a salad and tell husband to buy veg and more beets for vinigarette and yes I know guys love mayo on everything incl challah. Well the atmosphere is what counts I guess, forget about a fancy shabbos Confused

gryp

Post Fri, May 06 2005, 2:49 pm
forget fancy foods, most guys want good food and a lot of it. they wont notice the part you worked so hard on, or if the ice cream is on top of the cake or under the cake...
the atmosphere is what counts, and im sure it will be a shabbos for all of you to remember! have fun Very Happy good shabbos.

Tefila

Post Fri, May 06 2005, 2:50 pm
Quote:
make egg salad, pasta salad potatoe salad cole slaw

Proud Thanks! Smile The pie though, I'll skip for this week, don't want to mess up my kitchen again, besides more importantly I don't have any sweet potatoes left and can't rely on my husband getting it for me early enuf, he has a meeting Confused

Tefila

Post Fri, May 06 2005, 2:56 pm
Oh I guess I have to make my soup bigger well I'm not making a new one I'll just add!!! Thanks soo much for helping me. tty and will let u know how it went!

roza

Post Fri, May 06 2005, 2:56 pm
3 bean salad is fast.

ForeverYoung

Post Fri, May 06 2005, 3:00 pm
mashed potatoes r fas & filling - Fri night only, though.

also, men r meat eaaters -
so bakes more chickem - salt & pepper do just fine

good luck!
let us know how it went

Pickle Lady

Post Fri, May 06 2005, 3:09 pm
meatloaf

Tefila

Post Fri, May 06 2005, 3:12 pm
Mad Mad Crying I just this sec got informed due to a security concern for this week ( since they have to prepare it b/4 hand 'no kidding'. the superviser or commander or witch Twisted Evil won't let them come he truly apologized in his Israeli accent. He said if it wasn't a security thing he would have no problem letting them come. (Well what happend that they could come in the first place my thoughts which I did not voice, besides these are friendly territorys, do u think it was an excuse)?
So what do I do w/h my fish that is boiling, chicken has not yet defrosted so I'm ok there. But I'm upset b/c mentally I got myself worked up even if physically not. Oh well their loss Twisted Evil

proudmom

Post Fri, May 06 2005, 3:15 pm
stop cooking the fish and put it in the freezer.

gryp

Post Fri, May 06 2005, 3:16 pm
such israeli chutzpah!
its just an excuse... I would have given it to him. either, a)they chickened out because youre religious b)they found something more fun to do
well see if they come next week or not.
security? very funny.

usually gefilte fish freezes ok even after its cooked...

proudmom

Post Fri, May 06 2005, 3:20 pm
Quote:
usually gefilte fish freezes ok even after its cooked...

the fish taste bad after its defrosted after being cooked

gryp

Post Fri, May 06 2005, 3:21 pm
not in my house... Very Happy

Sunshine

Post Fri, May 06 2005, 3:22 pm
Keep it simple. Trust me they prob didn't get good homemade food in a while and are looking forward to anything edible. Sounds like you worked out a plan of things to make. Corn, toss, coleslaw, egg, spiced chick peas, green beans and soy sauce, and pasta are all easy salads to make. Eggplant, green olive and mayo, avacado are easy dips. You can make rice and fried veg to go with chicken. Or you can cut up potaoes and season with salt peper garlic and paprika and add a little oil and onion and bake. If you are in a pinch and need more challah but no time to make and no where to buy there is a brand Rhodes that makes frozen dough in the shape of loaves and buns. So you just defrost and bake. I only use it in emergencies but BH it is available. Also I can get jars of fish in the WalMart near me. I don't know if these are available in Canada. Lukshin is easy if no time to make matzo balls.

proudmom

Post Fri, May 06 2005, 3:24 pm
Sunshine, Freilich mentioned earlier that they are not coming at the end

stem

Post Fri, May 06 2005, 3:34 pm
RG:
Quote:
such israeli chutzpah!

Maybe there are Israelis on this boardwho would be insulted by such name calling. How about Dan Lekaf Zchus?

PS. For future weeks, maybe make a huge pot of rice to serve with the chicken and gravy.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen