Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
The new serial by Riva Pomerantz in Mishpacha
1  2  Next

Ronit

Post Tue, Aug 16 2011, 1:09 pm
What do you think of it?

I found it funny but really sad. OTOH I don't think it sounds realistic.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Aug 16 2011, 3:50 pm
Made my family look a bit more kindly on me and my skills ;-)

Ronit

Post Tue, Aug 16 2011, 7:02 pm
Dh is so used to my standards of cleanlines & order that he thought it was so off. As in totally unrealistic.

daisy

Post Tue, Aug 16 2011, 7:50 pm
At first I thought it sounded like a caricature and was a bit extreme. However, it also sounds a lot like adult AD/HD.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Aug 16 2011, 9:19 pm
It might seem unrealistic and not so common but there are such people out there.

Mother5

Post Tue, Aug 16 2011, 9:29 pm
unfortunately it's quite real! I feel exactly like Shulamis does, (ok, I must say there was never mold on my dishes) but otherwise.. yep, its me. I laughed out loud as I was reading it!

Unfortunately my husband feels like her husband..
We're still trying to work it out.. I'm curious how Riva is going to do it in 5 weeks!

Levtov

Post Tue, Aug 16 2011, 10:05 pm
To me it sounded so overly exagerated, and overdramatized, that I've not found it interesting! just my personal opinion....I may change my mind, though...

jeweled

Post Tue, Aug 16 2011, 10:22 pm
Love It! When I started reading it I felt like I was reading an imamother post! Smile

dmum

Post Wed, Aug 17 2011, 5:50 pm
I just didn't get it. If the husband felt it was an issue, and it bothered him, couldn't he spare one hour a day just picking up stuff off the floor, washing dishes, changing the garbage and doing basic maintenance? you don't get a sparkling house like that but also not mold on dishes. It's his house too...
Many guys do just that when their wives can't cope for whatever reason (illness, new baby, early pregancy, anything else) - why does he think if she doesn't do it it can't be done?
It was totally unrealistic to me.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Aug 17 2011, 7:46 pm
Just got Mishpacha and am trying not to allow myself more than a skim before Shabbos.
Is Azriela Jaffe's article on the same theme?

Ronit

Post Wed, Aug 17 2011, 7:46 pm
dmum wrote:
I just didn't get it. If the husband felt it was an issue, and it bothered him, couldn't he spare one hour a day just picking up stuff off the floor, washing dishes, changing the garbage and doing basic maintenance? you don't get a sparkling house like that but also not mold on dishes. It's his house too...
Many guys do just that when their wives can't cope for whatever reason (illness, new baby, early pregancy, anything else) - why does he think if she doesn't do it it can't be done?
It was totally unrealistic to me.
The husband & moms view is what made it unrealistic to me too. For the same reason you wrote.

I wasn't so shocked (I was pretty shocked, but I figured there could be people like this. ) about the girl, but thought something was off about the whole picture.

dmum

Post Thu, Aug 18 2011, 5:26 am
Right. You don't call in the cleaning help when your house is a tip, you call them in when you see you don't know how to run a house and need basic help on a weekly basis or whatever. If the house is reeking, you call in the heavy duty agency people to come in and disinfect it etc. It didn't make sense to me. Why did they all ignore it till it got to this kind of emergency level??

Amy3

Post Sat, Aug 20 2011, 3:58 pm
I like Riva's writing but I dont think this storyline is realistic.. I mean what happened before they got married? How did she hide this major part of herself the whole time they were dating and engaged that it caught him by such surprise during Sheva Brachos?
According to this weeks chapter this has been going on for 7 years! It said that Shulamis is 25 and she also has a daughter who wears a uniform.. so figure the daughter is 6 and they are married 7 years. That also means she got married when she was 18 and still no one mentioned this major point about her when the Shidduch came up? Her high school friends, teachers, relatives?

jeweled

Post Sat, Aug 20 2011, 10:09 pm
I just want to go and clean her house! especially all those crumpled tissues!!!

Levtov

Post Sun, Aug 21 2011, 1:36 am
I always LOVED Riva Pomerantz writings. However, I just don't think this entire series, so far is RIVA period. Stupid, stupid stupid.....(excuse my expression!)

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Aug 21 2011, 8:28 am
Well, this week it's getting somewhere. I can sort of identify, as a kid who was a great student but never had to do much around the house finding life very complicated. Sometimes I almost wish for the days when life was really simple, like 100 years ago, no paperwork, scheduling...then I pull myself together and am grateful for stuff like no pogroms, running water, modern medicine, etc.

rainbow dash

Post Sun, Aug 21 2011, 8:45 am
Go to tlc.com and watch the show Hoarding: Buried Alive you will see houses that are a pigsty and unliveable.

Grandmama

Post Sun, Aug 21 2011, 11:31 am
Unfortunately this is a scenario that happens, more often than you can imagine.
Houses don't clean themselves, and balabustas aren't born.
Everyone can learn to clean, but some people find it easier than others to keep their homes clean.
I have watched those hoarders clips, and while they seem unreal, they are very real.
I have also seen a lot in real life.
The mother needs a lot of help, and she may need that cleaning help forever.
I know of organizations and privately paid people that come and help people organize themselves.
While in the general world, people can live without cleaning their ovens or refrigerators for years, we do have a Pesach BH and we do keep kosher. Its not really possible to have a kosher home with it not being clean. Dishes do not have to be piled in the sink, there are paper goods.
There are lots of solutions to every situation. But usually with a wife like that the husband and kids do most of the cleaning and laundry if they wish to stay sane.
The hoarder is in denial, and definitely needs help. The situation is pathetic for the husband and children.

ILOVELIFE

Post Sun, Aug 28 2011, 6:16 pm
And I'm loving it though I do find some parts unrealistic and ridiculously immature but I love the style and the storyline

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Aug 28 2011, 7:18 pm
[quote="estherkohn"]Go to tlc.com and watch the show Hoarding: Buried Alive you will see houses that are a pigsty and unliveable.[/quote

Serious hoarding is another story.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room