Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Pediatric allergist for infant with reflux
1  2  Next

amother

Post Wed, Jan 30 2013, 5:30 pm
Someone recommended I see a pediatric allergist fir my breastfed baby who has reflux. What's the connection to reflux? What do they test for and how do they rest an infant? What if my son has an intolerance nit an allergy- how do they trust fir that? Anyone have any experience with one? Any drs they can recommend? TIA!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 30 2013, 6:37 pm
Is your baby showing signs of allergies or intolerances? Stomach upset, rashes, hives?
What's making this person recommend an allergist?

(And to answer one of your questions, intolerances do not come up on allergy testing. It's something you have to pick up on your own unfortunately. And it's hard to do so but mothers can pick up on it)

bnm

Post Wed, Jan 30 2013, 6:43 pm
there is a certain type of intolerance/allergy that can mimic reflux. there is also a connection between alergies and reflux according to what I have read.

http://www.neocate.com/blog/eo.....diet/

pesek zman

Post Wed, Jan 30 2013, 7:28 pm
I would start with a pediatric gastroenterologist. You ask for doctor recommendations but didn't say where you live.......

amother

Post Wed, Jan 30 2013, 9:10 pm
Oops OP here. I live in Brooklyn. He's tried 2 diff medications for reflux but they're not working well. So someone suggested it may be something I'm eating even tho I'm off dairy and soy (I do eat goat cheese tho. But it's not cow molk does that matter?)

nyer1

Post Wed, Jan 30 2013, 9:21 pm
I've been through this so here is my 2 cents

1. Depending on me age of your baby, it may be too early to see an allergist. Start with a pediatric gastroenterologist ... We saw dr. Joseph levy from nyu who is amazing

2. Yes, goat cheese is still dairy.

3. Your regular pediatrician can check the baby's stool for sensitivities to foods.

4. Ask about thickened feelings if the baby is spitting up a lot

Good luck and pm me if u have any qs

Aetrsnrady

Post Wed, Jan 30 2013, 10:38 pm
Are you willing to go to Long Island?
Dr David Rosenthal (516) 622-5070

amother

Post Wed, Jan 30 2013, 11:01 pm
My baby has severe reflux to the extent he was hospitalized for FTT. The doctors who treated him explained to me that reflux medications do not stop spitting up. They help reduce the build up of acid so the esophogus does not get erroded. The only medication that stops spitting up has a side effect of seizures.
You don't give a lot of info about your baby's symptoms but if u haven't gone to a GI, that's first. Allergy testing on babies isn't very acurate.

esmom

Post Wed, Jan 30 2013, 11:37 pm
my son had a bad case of acid reflux which caused him to get the diagnosis of failure to thrive (FTT). He was constantly spitting up and not keeping food down. He was very unhappy. My dr recommended I see a pediatric gastrenologist who gave him acid reflux medication. She started him on zantax which didnt help and them changed it to prilosec. Prilosec did wonders for him. She also switched him to a special formula called Elecare which was the only formula he was able to tolerate. The formula change combined with the prilosec did wonders for him. A few months later he was gaining nicely and we slowly decreased the amount of prilosec he was taking. Then he was completly off it and we also decreased him elecare formula and started him on regular formula. Now his acid reflux issue is a thing of the past and he is a chubby little happy boy. I saw Dr. Verma in CHOP and was thrilled. (was worth the trip because she was highly recommended)

bnm

Post Thu, Jan 31 2013, 11:48 am
go to a gastro
goats milk is very similar to cow milk so if one is allergic to cows milk they are usually allergic to goat too.
it takes 2 weeks for milk protein to clear from your body/milk so if you want to try going milk/diary free then you need to do it for the full 2 weeks before seeing a difference

my 4 year old was FTT due to reflux and almost ended up with a feeding tube. the sooner you take care of the reflux and keep it under control the better it is for your child.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 05 2013, 1:17 pm
OP here

My sons ped doesn't think it's reflux anymore because he's on a pill and a half of prwvac

amother

Post Tue, Feb 05 2013, 1:21 pm
OP here

My sons ped doesn't think it's reflux anymore because he's on a pill and a half of Prevacid which is more than he supposed to have y this age. But the Lact consultant who saw him said its for sure reflux. He's breastfed but I'm going to have to stop soon since he can't stay on long enough to get full (but takes the bottle well). So now my question has changed to any recommendations for a ped Gi? Someone recommended the dr in maimonedes but didn't give me a name.

bnm

Post Tue, Feb 05 2013, 1:53 pm
amother wrote:
OP here

My sons ped doesn't think it's reflux anymore because he's on a pill and a half of Prevacid which is more than he supposed to have y this age. But the Lact consultant who saw him said its for sure reflux. He's breastfed but I'm going to have to stop soon since he can't stay on long enough to get full (but takes the bottle well). So now my question has changed to any recommendations for a ped Gi? Someone recommended the dr in maimonedes but didn't give me a name.

we use Dr. Wetzler in Maimonides but I have heard good things about Dr. Levy in NYU. he is supposed to be one of the top once in NYC

sarafw30

Post Tue, Feb 05 2013, 9:21 pm
My son had such a severe case that his doc. almost recommended surgery. He gained 5 oz in 8 weeks. But first he tried zantac together with 15 milligrams of prevacid 2x day and that's when we saw the difference. It took 2 weeks but we saw dramatic change and by 9 months he's completely outgrown it. Maybe u ask your doc to try both together or up the dose?

sarafw30

Post Tue, Feb 05 2013, 9:26 pm
also want to mention that I used Dr. Brown company bottles and I think it helped alot. It's supposed to prevent air from coming in while drinking thereby decreasing gas and reflux. Also burping often, like every 2 min. when he sucks vigorously can help alot. And keeping him in an upright position, like infant seat or swing can be very helpful since gravity keeps acid from backing up. Also, I started solids at 4 months and saw immediate change. the heaviness helped him keep the food down. Any more questions feel free to PM me.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 9:34 am
I tried to make appt with Dr. Levy he is booked till May. I like GI doctors at Cohen's children hospital at Lij.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 8:57 pm
Op here. I tried dr wexler (sp?) at maimo and she's booked til april. My baby takes bottle better than nursing but I rwally wanted to nurse uim. I starter giving him bottles yesterday because he refused to nurse. Now I'm not sure if he's having a hard time nursing because of reflux or because he doesn't want to nurse anymore, which pains me. Anyone here have babies with reflux who had this experience (that their baby drank from a bottle better)? Why would that be the case?

cutekids

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 9:01 pm
Have you tried a lactation consultant? Maybe your baby isn't latching correctly so the milk isn't going down correctly and that's what's causing reflux, esp if taking bottle and not spitting up as much.

sarafw30

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 9:08 pm
Definitely, OP. My baby took a bottle much more readily since it takes much less effort to suck on bottle than nurse, and thus causes them less pain. I fought with my baby till 6 months and then eventually gave up nursing and we were a happier family once again... Sometimes it's not worth the fight. I felt that six months of nursing was a great sacrifice for me and is a good headstart for baby,though I would prefer at least 1 yr had it been possible. Don't feel bad to supplement... I know lots of babies that are fine without having been breastfed at all. Your job is to have a healthy happy baby however it takes... I know, u probably feel horrible being rejected but it's neither his or your fault. That's how Hashem wants..

bnm

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 10:14 pm
yes. call her secretary Carmen and say you need an appointment asap or ask your ped if he can get you in earlier or recommend someone else. also try the bay parkway office, they seem to have sooner apointments. bottle feeding IS easier for reflux babies but Dr. Wetzler told me if I want to attempt to nurse #3 (both my kids are her patients, second one saw her at 3 weeks) I should call her from the hospital already.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics