Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Monsey

eyima

Post Thu, Jan 31 2013, 5:33 am
I was looking around the threads about Monsey. I noticed that some older threads (around 2007-8), the women's comments sound as if Monsey was very modern...no place for a very yeshivish family. Looking at the threads from the last couple of years, it sounds as if Monsey has changed a tone. It sounds like there are really a lot of yeshivish pockets around the area.

Has Monsey really changed that much in so few years? Would a very yeshivish family (who would be happy in a non-materialistic place) have a place there?

eyima

Post Fri, Feb 01 2013, 3:16 am
bump

emunahdoj

Post Fri, Feb 01 2013, 4:30 am
A very yeshivish family would have a place there. Monsey has grown a lot over the years and there are different sections. There are sections that are modern and there are very yeshivish sections. When I was there for a few months my motto was "you better like your neighbors/neighborhood" because it is so spread out...so just make sure that you choose the yeshivish neighborhood.

eyima

Post Fri, Feb 01 2013, 4:35 am
thanks for replying. Can you tell me what neighborhoods that would be (and maybe give me street names/boarders)? Thanks!

emunahdoj

Post Fri, Feb 01 2013, 4:56 am
You're welcome. I was only there for a couple of months so I do not remember streets so well and there may be areas that I am not thinking of. You do NOT want to be on Ranger Road or Mariner street area. That is a more modern area....it's called Wesley Hills. Basically people call the whole area Monsey but there are different sections with different names.

There is an area that merges with Monsey called Spring Valley...you can literally be in Monsey and walk across the street and be in Spring Valley. Spring Valley is big but I remember that that merging place has very yeshivish areas but I do not remember the street.

You want to be near Rockland Kosher Supermarket...that is the yeshivish and chassidish area. It's the supermarket that has only cholov yisroel. The other supermarket, Wesley Kosher is more modern and is in Wesley Hills.

eyima

Post Fri, Feb 01 2013, 5:29 am
thanks again for the info.....anyone else want to chime in with more details on areas? Also info on the yeshivish schools would be helpful

amother

Post Fri, Feb 01 2013, 7:27 am
More yeshivish is cameo area....bates area....bedford.....roock hill rroad. Hoow yeshivish are u?

mooma

Post Fri, Feb 01 2013, 8:51 am
Cameo Ridge area is very Yeshivish. Bates and Chestnut Ridge Areas are a blend of Chasidish and Yeshivish. Airmont has some too depending on the street.
Airmont and Chestnut ridge are cheaper and further out. Cameo is closer (walking distance) to shopping!
You can also also try to find a Shul your DH likes and check out surrounding areas.

mooma

Post Fri, Feb 01 2013, 8:55 am
Cameo Ridge area is very Yeshivish. Bates and Chestnut Ridge Areas are a blend of Chasidish and Yeshivish. Airmont has some too depending on the street.
Airmont and Chestnut ridge are cheaper and further out. Cameo is closer (walking distance) to shopping!
You can also also try to find a Shul your DH likes and check out surrounding areas.

Post Fri, Feb 01 2013, 8:59 am
emunahdoj wrote:
You're welcome. I was only there for a couple of months so I do not remember streets so well and there may be areas that I am not thinking of. You do NOT want to be on Ranger Road or Mariner street area. That is a more modern area....it's called Wesley Hills. Basically people call the whole area Monsey but there are different sections with different names.

There is an area that merges with Monsey called Spring Valley...you can literally be in Monsey and walk across the street and be in Spring Valley. Spring Valley is big but I remember that that merging place has very yeshivish areas but I do not remember the street.

You want to be near Rockland Kosher Supermarket...that is the yeshivish and chassidish area. It's the supermarket that has only cholov yisroel. The other supermarket, Wesley Kosher is more modern and is in Wesley Hills.

Every supermarket carries CY including Shoprite. You can get CY at Dunkin Donuts, gas stations and Seven Eleven.

abby1776

Post Fri, Feb 01 2013, 10:44 am
There are Yeshivish Areas of Wesley Hills. The area I used to live in when I first moved there in 2000 was very mixed and now its all Yeshivish. The modern people felt pushed out and they all either made Aliyah or moved to Teanek.

abby1776

Post Fri, Feb 01 2013, 10:47 am
I should add that your problem wont be finding a Yeshivish area, your problem would be finding a non-materilistic one.

I found Monsey to be very materialstic, and the area I lived in Wesely Hills was very wealthy.

Although it was physically beautiful and I miss my friends and neighbors (who are all lovely people), sometimes I think it is not so bad I had to move, so my children dont think that everyone lives in a 5000 + sqft house, with live in help, and every toy/clothes imaginable.

amother

Post Fri, Feb 01 2013, 11:38 am
if I may add... I live in monsey for 15 yrs now... and all the negative comment about monsey is not 100% true...the last comment for example...ppl have bigger houses cuz there is alot of space nobody I know has a full time live in...my friends all struggle its how you make your life wherever you are! pick the right neighborhood for your family the rest is up to you!!!

aniri

Post Fri, Feb 01 2013, 12:21 pm
Also forshe area is yishivash

gold21

Post Fri, Feb 01 2013, 12:49 pm
monsey has had a yeshivish crowd since, like, forever.

monsey also has a very strong chassidish element.

there is also a more modern crowd.

so its a nice mix.

(but chassidim are probably the biggest group.)

I dont know why you would think that monsey didnt have plenty of yeshivish people 5 years ago? cuz it totally did.

whats your age range? that will help narrow down options for you.

mosma

Post Fri, Feb 01 2013, 2:18 pm
I've lived in monsey my entire life. it's mainly yeshivish, with a large chasidish area, and a few more modern areas as well.
depending how yeshivish you are, either new hempstead or near briarcliff/sands point is very yeshivish. olympia/wallenberg also yeshivish, less affordable. forshay, mostly yeshivish but some ppl are a little flatbushy. concord, yeshivish. wesley hills, mostly more modern, pomona mostly more modern, old nyack turnpike area, more yeshivish, airmont, mix bec it's new.

hope this helps. you can pm me for more specific info.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating