Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Baked Garlic Chicken Recipe
1  2  Next

theprocastinator

Post Thu, Jan 31 2013, 10:15 am
I'm having guest this Shabbos and am looking for a good recipe for baked chicken bottoms with garlic.
TIA

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jan 31 2013, 11:06 am
Take an entire garlic, separate the cloves, but don't peel. Scatter around chicken. Sprinkle pepper and paprika on chicken, and drizzle with balsalmic vinegar. Bake, basting every so often. Serve it with the garlic that can be then used to mash into the chicken as you eat.

lkwdlady

Post Thu, Jan 31 2013, 11:17 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Take an entire garlic, separate the cloves, but don't peel. Scatter around chicken. Sprinkle pepper and paprika on chicken, and drizzle with balsalmic vinegar. Bake, basting every so often. Serve it with the garlic that can be then used to mash into the chicken as you eat.

do you mean not to peel the garlic? If so, what happens to the peel?
Do you bake covered? What oven temperature? Thanks!!

theprocastinator

Post Thu, Jan 31 2013, 11:40 am
Thank you, HY.
Do you bake it uncovered, and for how long?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jan 31 2013, 11:58 am
It's based on the recipe for 40 clove garlic chicken in the kosher palette if you have it. I don't use 40 cloves though.

When you use the garlic with the chicken, the peel easily separates.

The recipe has it baked uncovered, but I prefer to cover it. Just bake like you usually bake chicken -- some ppl like it crispier, some like it softer. It also depends if you skin it or not how it turns out. An hour and a half or so is probably good, but again, just bake it like you do any chicken! I don't think it really matters much how you season it to have to vary the cooking time/temps.

OheivYisrael

Post Thu, Jan 31 2013, 12:05 pm
I do a variation of this. We peel the cloves of garlic, place them under the skin of the chicken pieces (1-2 cloves per piece), and then put on a bunch of spices (usually salt, pepper, PAPRIKA, onion powder). Bake covered, about 350 for about an hour.
We like to slice potatoes and put it under the chicken. DS1 will only eat it if it has the potatoes too. :-)

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Jan 31 2013, 12:36 pm
I make garlic chicken using garlic rub. Peel 1 large-ish whole head of garlic, puree using either a blender or a mortar/pestle together with 4-5 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp salt, 1 tbsp paprika. You should have enough rub for at least 4-5 whole chicens. Put in a small plastic container and keep in freezer. You'll need only a teasp or so to rub 1-2 chicken pieces (skinned or with skin on). Best to marinade in a ziplock bag for a few hours to overnight. Bake as you do normal baked/roast chicken. (I do 180C fan assisted for about 45-60min depending on # of pieces). It would smell rather strong but the flavour mellows down during the baking.

mha3484

Post Thu, Jan 31 2013, 1:11 pm
I like to roast the whole head until soft and oozy. I put the cloves with lemon juice, thyme, and sometimes cumin in a bowl or small food proceessor and mash until its a paste. Spread on chicken and bake until its fully cooked. I got the idea from here:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/rec......html

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Jan 31 2013, 2:00 pm
Also delicious: marinate chicken overnight with olive oil and fresh crushed garlic- I use two cloves per bottom. When ready to bake, coat pieces with corn flake crumbs (seasoned as you like- I use paprika, black pepper, salt, onion powder and parsley). Bake uncovered at 375 about 1.5 hours.

peter

Post Thu, Jan 31 2013, 2:44 pm
bais yaakov cookbook has a recipe for baked garlic chicken

naomi2

Post Thu, Jan 31 2013, 7:30 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
It's based on the recipe for 40 clove garlic chicken in the kosher palette if you have it. I don't use 40 cloves though.

When you use the garlic with the chicken, the peel easily separates.

The recipe has it baked uncovered, but I prefer to cover it. Just bake like you usually bake chicken -- some ppl like it crispier, some like it softer. It also depends if you skin it or not how it turns out. An hour and a half or so is probably good, but again, just bake it like you do any chicken! I don't think it really matters much how you season it to have to vary the cooking time/temps.

I tried the 40 garlic chicken last night and got severely nauseous afterward for the rest of the night. and I LOVE to eat and I LOVE garlic. I don't know if it made me nauseous but I read on the blog that it made someone else sick too. just want to let you know it's a possibility

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Jan 31 2013, 7:58 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
I make garlic chicken using garlic rub. Peel 1 large-ish whole head of garlic, puree using either a blender or a mortar/pestle together with 4-5 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp salt, 1 tbsp paprika. You should have enough rub for at least 4-5 whole chicens. Put in a small plastic container and keep in freezer. You'll need only a teasp or so to rub 1-2 chicken pieces (skinned or with skin on). Best to marinade in a ziplock bag for a few hours to overnight. Bake as you do normal baked/roast chicken. (I do 180C fan assisted for about 45-60min depending on # of pieces). It would smell rather strong but the flavour mellows down during the baking.

This sounds yummy! (And easy, which is always a plus!)

Just to clarify, do you puree a raw head of garlic or a cooked one? Is it necessary to puree it or can you just use a garlic press?

Thanks!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jan 31 2013, 8:30 pm
Do you know what made you nauseous from it? I don't put in nearly as much garlic, so maybe that helps?

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Feb 04 2013, 4:28 pm
Rutabaga wrote:
Just to clarify, do you puree a raw head of garlic or a cooked one? Is it necessary to puree it or can you just use a garlic press?

Thanks!

Yes, you puree raw garlic. I prefer to puree it (or better yet, buy pureed garlic that comes in a small plastic tub) because it makes more like paste-like consistency which is easier to spread. Go easy as it's quite strong (though mellows once cooked) flavour.

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Feb 04 2013, 4:30 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
Rutabaga wrote:

Thanks!

Yes, you puree raw garlic. I prefer to puree it (or better yet, buy pureed garlic that comes in a small plastic tub) because it makes more like paste-like consistency which is easier to spread. Go easy as it's quite strong (though mellows once cooked) flavour.

Thanks!

shiaeisen

Post Mon, Dec 18 2017, 11:16 am
For anyone reading this, my rov told me raw garlic must be peeled and both tips of each clove cut off, as insects can be a problem.

Post Mon, Dec 18 2017, 11:47 am
Rochelle1 wrote:
For anyone reading this, my rov told me raw garlic must be peeled and both tips of each clove cut off, as insects can be a problem.

Please don't pull up 19 old threads with garlic recipes, and tell everyone what they are doing wrong with garlic.

shiaeisen

Post Tue, Dec 19 2017, 1:40 pm
Squishy, thank you SO much for your very kind, polite and “helpful” suggestion. I’m sorry it doesn’t find favor with you, but a frum Jew is required to speak up to try to prevent another Jew from stumbling, and whether you like it or not, I will do what I feel is right. Have a great rest of Chanukah and please reconsider how you speak to others so that YOUR behavior remains as beyond reproach as the behavior you expect and demand from others,

jewwoman

Post Tue, Dec 19 2017, 1:53 pm
Its a four year old thread. I think by this time anyone who wanted the recipe has made it and eaten it so they have already sinned surely?!!

Iymnok

Post Tue, Dec 19 2017, 2:12 pm
Your Rav said to check it like that. That's nice. Maybe in my area garlic is of higher quality and does not require checking or my Rav holds that it never does unless it looks like it may.
Don't pasken online. Unless you area qualified Rav working for an "Ask the Rabbi" place.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey