Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
Hanukkah and Thanksgiving: A once in eternity overlap

shanie5

Post Sun, Feb 03 2013, 12:02 am
Just got this in an email, thought it was interesting..............................

Hanukkah and Thanksgiving: A once in eternity overlap
Next year features an anomaly for American Jews - The first day of Hanukkah coincides with Thanksgiving, on 11/28/2013. It turns out that it has never happened before...and it will never happen again.
Thanksgiving is set as the fourth Thursday in November, meaning the latest it can be is 11/28. 11/28 is also the earliest Hanukkah can be. The Jewish calendar repeats on a 19 year cycle, and Thanksgiving repeats on a 7 year cycle. You would therefore expect them to coincide roughly every 19x7 = 133 years. Looking back, this is approximately correct - the last time it would have happened is 1861. However, Thanksgiving was only formally established by President Lincoln in 1863. So, it has never happened before. Why won't it ever happen again?
The reason is because the Jewish calendar is very slowly getting out of sync with the solar calendar, at a rate of 4 days per 1000 years (not bad for a many centuries old calendar!) This means that while presently Hanukkah can be as early as 11/28, over the years the calendar will drift forward, such that the earliest Hanukkah can be is 11/29. The last time Hanukkah falls on 11/28 is 2146 (which happens to be a Monday). Therefore, 2013 is the only time Hanukkah will ever overlap with Thanksgiving.
Of course, if the Jewish calendar is never modified in any way, then it will slowly move forward through the Gregorian calendar, until it loops all the way back to where it is now. So, Hanukkah will again fall on Thursday, 11/28...in the year 79,811.

Aetrsnrady

Post Sun, Feb 03 2013, 12:21 am
Neat. Thanks for sharing

Tamiri

Post Sun, Feb 03 2013, 12:27 am
Cool, I even put it in my FB! Thanks for sharing.

miami85

Post Sun, Feb 03 2013, 1:11 am
It would be cooler if it were 11/29--that's my anniversary!

imamiri

Post Sun, Feb 03 2013, 1:23 am
Cool!

m in Israel

Post Sun, Feb 03 2013, 2:34 am
Very neat. But in 2002 Chanuka fell on Thanksgiving weekend -- although not Thanksgiving itself (1st night of Chanukah was Friday night). That is not super common but it does happen occasionally.

Also, are there any calendar experts here? I thought the 4 day problem was corrected by adding an additional leap year every 200 years -- or something like that? I don't remember exactly, and maybe I'm mixing it up with something else. Anyone know?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics