Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Pediatric dental general anesthesia

MRSKNOWITALL

Post Tue, Feb 05 2013, 11:03 am
[b]My daughter is 4 with loads of cavities, baby root cananls & decay on her teeth, she is very stubburn and a dentist chair is not an option for her. I was advised by several dentist to go to the OR for a general anesthesia so they can do all the work at once. Since I live in Boro Park I was sent to Maimonides Dental Clinic on 13th ave and 45th street & they use the Maimonides OR with Dr. Rena Kravitz. Did anyone have any experiance with them?[/b]

amother

Post Tue, Feb 05 2013, 11:51 am
We have used them, and did all the work in the OR under anesthesia. I still wonder if it was necessary to pull as many teeth as were pulled. Otoh, she did cap some, and fill some too. It definitely is a great idea for kids who need a lot of work, and are terrified of dentists/ uncooperative.

sarafw30

Post Tue, Feb 05 2013, 12:33 pm
MY DD also had tons of cavities and baby root canals and I wasn't comfortable with the idea of putting her under, so I opted for nitrous oxide (laughing gas). She was fully concious but a bit drugged up. One thing though my insurance didn't cover it - it's a $50 charge each time but he does an entire side in one visit. I feel it paid off. She has a little recollection and no fear whatsoever even though she moaned thru the injection she doesn't remember it as negative. She says she felt like she's flying high and it was fun... lol, she's actually looking forward to dentist visits... Very Happy. Her dentist also offers video distraction, like uncle moishy, twins from France, charachter shows. Together it makes a pleasant pleasurable experience actually. I live in Willi and u might consider him. PM me for more details if interested.

I have a friend that did general and she said it was very smooth sailing. her daughters teeth were actually extracted as well (front) and besides the bleeding she was in no pain just a bit sleepy that day and good to go to scool the next. I would recommend if u wouldn't do the nitrous oxide.

Hope wtvr u choose to do will be smooth sailing! Good luck!!

would like to add that the reason I wasn't excited about general was because I wanted to be there and make sure they don't pull unnecessary teeth. In the OR I believe, u cannot enter and they do what feels is right.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Feb 05 2013, 12:42 pm
Funny, I just blogged about it the other day!!!
I also went to maimonides dental but they didnt want to put my kid under bc he only had 2 small cavities. I wish I could; he is impossible at the dentist. If I were you I would do it. Good luck.

sarafw30

Post Tue, Feb 05 2013, 12:59 pm
mamabear, wouldn't u consider the nitrous oxide? it takes the edge off, it even relaxes ADHD kids........

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Feb 05 2013, 8:14 pm
The dentist didnt want to give it to him as the kid has to cooperate with the nitrous oxide; they have to be relaxed and breathe it in. my son wouldnt even let the mask onto his face and he woudl fight it.

geshmak

Post Tue, Feb 05 2013, 9:45 pm
sarafw30 wrote:
MY DD also had tons of cavities and baby root canals and I wasn't comfortable with the idea of putting her under, so I opted for nitrous oxide (laughing gas). She was fully concious but a bit drugged up. One thing though my insurance didn't cover it - it's a $50 charge each time but he does an entire side in one visit. I feel it paid off. She has a little recollection and no fear whatsoever even though she moaned thru the injection she doesn't remember it as negative. She says she felt like she's flying high and it was fun... lol, she's actually looking forward to dentist visits... Very Happy. Her dentist also offers video distraction, like uncle moishy, twins from France, charachter shows. Together it makes a pleasant pleasurable experience actually. I live in Willi and u might consider him. PM me for more details if interested.

I have a friend that did general and she said it was very smooth sailing. her daughters teeth were actually extracted as well (front) and besides the bleeding she was in no pain just a bit sleepy that day and good to go to scool the next. I would recommend if u wouldn't do the nitrous oxide.

Hope wtvr u choose to do will be smooth sailing! Good luck!!

would like to add that the reason I wasn't excited about general was because I wanted to be there and make sure they don't pull unnecessary teeth. In the OR I believe, u cannot enter and they do what feels is right.

If you are in Brooklyn, can you please share the name of the dentist with whom you had such a pleasant experience- so some of us may benefit? Thank you.

sarafw30

Post Tue, Feb 05 2013, 9:55 pm
Dr. Jonathon Waltner from Williamsburg. 390 Berry off Broadway. can look up the phone number if u want........

Last edited by sarafw30 on Wed, Feb 06 2013, 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Feb 05 2013, 10:44 pm
Dr Waltner didnt want to do nitrous with my older son. I was actually willing to pay the fee but he still felt it wasnt necessary. I see he changed.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 05 2013, 11:41 pm
Please only consider putting a child under when absolutely necessary and do not be flippant about it.

I know this is exceedingly rare, but my neighbor's 2 year old son (the former mayor of Yerushalaym's Mayor Uri Lupoliansky's grandson) did not wake up from dental anesthesia. I found the jpost article here from 2005. I lived in their building at the time and it was (and still is) extremely tragic.

http://www.freerepublic.com/fo.....posts

smiledr

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 10:17 am
Of course general anesthesia has its risks but only patients that have management issues and/or need a lot of work and nitrous isn't sufficient are ref for ga. Also there is an anesthesiologist who will explain all the risks and of course do e t in their power to prevent anything from going wrong but don't say dental work isn't enuf of a reason for ga. Untreated dental work not only causes pain but also can lead to infection that in extreme cases can become systemic and can be very dangerous. I ref patients to columbia and montifiore for ga.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics