Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Entertainment for Frum Kids

Motek

Post Tue, Sep 21 2004, 12:58 pm
Somebody gave me an earful about how upset she and her husband are at the entertainment provided by Tzivos Hashem for events in Crown Heights. She mentioned a juggling show that was performed on Lag B'Omer and said her son hasn't stopped referring to it. He asks whether he can be a clown when he grows up. Also a trampoline show which had a father and son team, the son was about 7, the age of some of the little kids watching it.

There are a number of issues she pointed out:

1) is juggling (or bike stunts, or horse stunts or ..) appropriate entertainment for Lag B'Omer?

2) the non jewish, loud music they sometimes use

3) are seven year old performers (or non jews, or are they Jews who look like non jews) the role models we want for our kids?

4) sometimes a performer speaks, as part of his show, and is clueless as to what our kids can and can't hear (even though whoever hires them probably tells them something, or at least you hope they do). They make references to TV figures, make risque or not-aidel remarks. (I once attended a Purim program in which the juggler's "body language" at one point was inappropriate)

She has no objections to a bachur juggling, so the problem is not solely in the juggling part of it, but the appropriateness to the occasion.

She's all in favor of bachurim performing in plays. As to the objection of - they should be learning - apparently the Rebbe approved of bachurim working on Lag B'Omer floats. Purim and Chanuka plays seem fine too, when not done during seder.

Her husband once left in the middle of an Uncle Moishy concert with his kids bec. he felt that the side shows (not U.Moishy) were inappropriate for some of the above-stated reasons.

She has complained to Tzivos Hashem but met with no success. She spoke with numerous mechanchim who all agreed with her.

Another aspect - she pointed out that at rallies, when kids say the 12 Pesukim, how many kids besides the one using the microphone say it too? Or are they busy looking around? How can they be more fully engaged?

Did the Rebbe approve of a juggler performing in 770 at a rally? (I've seen it)

What do you think?

proudmom

Post Tue, Sep 21 2004, 1:12 pm
Who did she speak to in Tzivos Hashem? I know the founder of Tzivos Hashem. I am very good friends with his daughter. If you need me to do anything let me know.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics