Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Health para
1  2  Next

mommee

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 9:43 pm
Has anyone ever gotten one for their child? I was told that a letter stating the reason/necessity for it is needed. Does anyone have any experience/advice or pointers that could help me?
Thanks.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 9:44 pm
Is it for health? Or crisis management?

mommee

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 9:47 pm
health

bnm

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 9:55 pm
my friend got one, her daughter has bad allergies. she was told the child needs a delay in any area to be approved for services and then its a lot more simple to get the para.

mommee

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 10:02 pm
Thanks bnm. I was also told that it's easier to get one with other delays. That sounds so twisted though!
I was looking for ideas about what 'they' want to hear in this letter of necessity. I have no idea where to start with that.

mommy of boys

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 10:02 pm
you actually need two areas of delay to be approved but if the health reason is valid enough then the agency helping you/evaluating you will help you out with it. if you need more info I have a friend who went through the process for her son and I can ask her for you.

mykidsmother

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 10:06 pm
It needs to be a big health concern for boe to approve it. For ex. Seizures, severe allergies, severe low tone, cp,

mommee

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 10:09 pm
Thanks mommy of boys. I think that his health reason-multiple severe allergies-should be enough by itself. I'd really appreciate it if you could get any input from your friend that went through this. I'd really like to be able to get a health para.

mommy of boys

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 10:17 pm
you need a letter from the pediatrician and from the school that they wont accept him without a para, then she called eval care who set it up.

mommee

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 10:23 pm
mommy of boys,
The pediatrician told me to type up the letter and send it to their office and then they'll sign it. I have no idea what to write though.
Ironically, the school is not so nervous about his allergies...

mykidsmother

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 10:28 pm
mommee wrote:
mommy of boys,
The pediatrician told me to type up the letter and send it to their office and then they'll sign it. I have no idea what to write though.
Ironically, the school is not so nervous about his allergies...

Does ur child also have developmental delays?
You have to write in the letter y he can't be in school without a para. Does he need to use epipen? When he gets a reaction.

mommee

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 10:30 pm
Yes, we do have epi-pens for his reactions.

mykidsmother

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 10:38 pm
Then you shouldn't have any problems. I can give you a small idea and then work on it.

To whom this may concern

I am writing in behalf of my patient (name), (age) year old student at (school). I would like to alert you for the need to obtain a paraprofessional for (name) for the following reason(s).

Put in here what his issues r. Where it will affect him etc.

All these things r due to (name)'s (medical diagnoses).

I would appreciate your consideration in this matter. Please contact me if I can be of further assistance.

Sincerely

(please try to change it around a bit since this was used already.)

mykidsmother

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 10:46 pm
Does the cheder have epipens in case of emergency? What do u mean by them not having an issue?

mommee

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 10:53 pm
Wow, thanks mykidsmother! That is really helpful.
I will use it as a starting point and come up with my own thing. Thanks so much for giving me a general idea.
FYI, when I called the allergist's office to get a letter sent they said they will send over the standard one that their office issues, so I'm sure the BOE gets similar scripts Smile

mommee

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 10:56 pm
I doubt they have epi-pens, I would supply them. They seemed to feel that it's allergies and they could be careful and it would be fine.

mykidsmother

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 10:59 pm
You r right and they definitely get generally the same type of letters. But I'm guessing that the letter that they send is not so detailed and does not always work only if you have some more letters and recommendation from other sources.

Will the cheder also sign u a letter? Icahn give you an idea for that too. I've been there and I know what your going through. If u need any help ask away.

mykidsmother

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 11:02 pm
mommee wrote:
I doubt they have epi-pens, I would supply them. They seemed to feel that it's allergies and they could be careful and it would be fine.

I guess it depends what type of allergies. But how can they take upon themselves to be so careful when they can't watch what every child brings in to cheder.

mommee

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 11:06 pm
Would you mind if I pm'ed you with more details? It seems that you're experience could be helpful and I would appreciate your input.

mykidsmother

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 11:29 pm
Np.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics