Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Strollers
Babies in bassinet strollers - do you feel thatthey're safe?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Mon, Feb 18 2013, 8:41 pm
I'm heavily considering getting the Uppababy Vista when iyH I have my first in a few months. I was speaking to a friend about it and she said she was always afraid to use her bassinet because the baby isn't buckled in and can bump around / shake when you go over some uneven pavement, etc..

Did anyone have any issues with babies in bassinets like this? I've never heard anyone complain or c"vs any recalls or anything like that, so when she brought this up I was a little surprised.

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Feb 18 2013, 8:44 pm
I don't recall feeling unsafe, but the baby definitely will bounce and roll a little if the surface isn't perfectly smooth- even going up and down curbs. I suspect that's the reason my ds hated using the bassinet outside. So we just used it indoors, and mostly used the snap n go outside in the early months.

kb

Post Mon, Feb 18 2013, 9:21 pm
I have the uppababy - with my first we used the bassinet and it was fine (I was careful bumping down steps and curbs). This time around I'm using the toddler seat with the snug seat and I like it like that better (not that I had a choice because the rumble seat doesn't work with the bassinet anyway!)

rowo

Post Tue, Feb 19 2013, 5:03 am
I've always put my newborns in bassinets, the youngest in the uppa. I walk quite a bit - on paved sidewalks- and I've never found it to be a problem. I love it and get a little sad when they get too big.
Afaik it's not the best for newborns to be in the curled up position of a car seat - ie in a snap n go - for long periods if time

imasinger

Post Tue, Feb 19 2013, 7:13 am
I don't understand the question. For generations, babies were safely pushed in prams.

gp2.0

Post Tue, Feb 19 2013, 7:44 am
I loved the bassinet because I swaddled my baby. Hard to properly fit a swaddled baby into straps of stroller or car seat. With the bassinet I felt safe with her swaddled and the high sides.

chocolate chips

Post Tue, Feb 19 2013, 7:48 am
I used a bassinet since I believe that putting an infant into a car seat or a regular stroller seat for too long is not good for their backs.
I was often scared when going up or down stairs that the baby was moving around but it has high sides, a hood and a cover so I knew that he wouldn't fall out.
I have a friend who rolls up blankets at the bottom sides of the bassinet so the baby can only move upwards not hit the sides.

Aribenj

Post Thu, Feb 21 2013, 12:58 pm
rowo wrote:

Afaik it's not the best for newborns to be in the curled up position of a car seat - ie in a snap n go - for long periods if time

This!

Part of the natural development babies need to go through is straightening out their curled spine from a C to an S, and sitting in a stroller is not conducive to that, while lying on their stomachs or backs is. When this doesn't occur, you get all kinds of problems like low muscle tone which can lead to lots of other things...

amother

Post Thu, Feb 21 2013, 1:10 pm
Aribenj wrote:
rowo wrote:

This!

Part of the natural development babies need to go through is straightening out their curled spine from a C to an S, and sitting in a stroller is not conducive to that, while lying on their stomachs or backs is. When this doesn't occur, you get all kinds of problems like low muscle tone which can lead to lots of other things...

This is true for babies who are spending long periods of time in a stroller, car seat, swing or other pieces of equipment. Taking a half hour stroll or car ride daily isnt going to cause problems if the baby is positioned well at other times.

(Also, it won't "cause" low muscle tone, which is generally congenital. But it certainly won't help a child who is already low tone. And it can cause delays due to misuse or disuse of certain muscle groups).

seeker

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 12:42 am
imasinger wrote:
I don't understand the question. For generations, babies were safely pushed in prams.

In the generation that included me being a baby, they used harnesses in prams.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 1:40 am
My carriage flipped over with baby inside Baruch Hashem everything is ok but you are right to question it.

cityofgold

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 2:01 am
I never questioned it before, but my friend told me she just saw a baby fall out of a bassinet. The mother was getting out of a bus and the wheel twisted, and the baby FELL two or three feet to the ground.

Obviously this doesn't happen often, but it was enough to convince me. What if a person trips while going down even a few stairs? I live in Israel so I go up & down stairs a lot, maybe you don't and it's not relevant.

Miri7

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 2:37 am
I don't go up and down stairs with the stroller in bassinet mode with baby inside. I either lift the bassinet off the base and schlep it up/down separately from the base or I pick baby up and drag the stroller with the other hand. Not practical for some people who to up/down a lot and use the bassinet feature a lot, I realize. But after a similar near-accident, I have been super careful with the bassinet mode on any uneven surface.

Beyla

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 3:58 am
When the bus stopped, I saw a baby in a bassinet who kind of jumped with the moves. I was terrified he wasn't fixed at all.

Dev80

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 4:48 am
I've never used a bassinet so I can't vouch for it but it does make me nervous that the baby isn't buckled.

There are strollers that the seat becomes a bassinet like the mt buggy cosmopolitan so I wonder if those bassinets have a buckle option?

I prefer the safety of knowing baby is buckled, either in the car seat or stroller seat. This is one of those that there's no right or wrong, just what you will be more comfortable with. Maybe you have a friends you can try out and see how you feel about it?

The other thing is if you are in EY and are taking busses and leaving baby in the bassinet then bear in mind baby won't be buckled unless you want to also get a car seat adapter for those times.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 6:10 am
amother wrote:
My carriage flipped over with baby inside Baruch Hashem everything is ok but you are right to question it.

Same here. The baby could have been tossed out of the bassinet had the carriage fallen in a different angle. It never really occurred to me beforehand that the lack of straps might be a problem.

champion

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 6:25 am
I have a bassinet stroller that has straps for buckling baby in.
maybo look into something like that

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 9:55 am
champion wrote:
I have a bassinet stroller that has straps for buckling baby in.
maybo look into something like that

Which one?

greenfire

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 10:06 am
I think when the baby is an infant it won't jump out ... and laying on a flat surface seems more comfortable

people should always heed caution when going up & down the steps with a baby

goforit

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 10:35 am
amother wrote:
I'm heavily considering getting the Uppababy Vista when iyH I have my first in a few months. I was speaking to a friend about it and she said she was always afraid to use her bassinet because the baby isn't buckled in and can bump around / shake when you go over some uneven pavement, etc..

Did anyone have any issues with babies in bassinets like this? I've never heard anyone complain or c"vs any recalls
anything like that, so when she brought this up I was a little surprised.

Mountain buggy comspolion is very similar to the uppA BABY. Just the seat turns into the basseniet so it has straps.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics