Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
"funny" food for shabbos erev purim / purim seuda

pobody's nerfect

Post Mon, Feb 18 2013, 7:49 pm
over the years I've seen some pretty funny and/or cute ideas to serve the shabbos of purim or at the actua seuda.
we never make a purim seuda as we go to my DH's yeshiva, so I'd be serving this stuff on shabbos.

some ideas:

--appetizer of white cake cut to look like a slice of gefilta fish, with an orange candy to be the carrot

--hamentashen shaped bourekas

--lemon meringue pie with brown food coloring to look chocolatey

then a cute decor idea- just put all the silverware upside down Smile

I'd love more ideas! we're gonna have a bunch of bochurim and I think they'd appreciate it. I don't mind patchkas at all, especially considering my m.m. this year is simple

pobody's nerfect

Post Tue, Feb 19 2013, 8:03 pm
bump! trying to plan my shabbos menu!

ila

Post Tue, Feb 19 2013, 8:38 pm
Maybe pinapple upside down? Not really funy but is like venaafohu

wtvr

Post Wed, Feb 20 2013, 7:00 pm
Cute! Any more ideas?

zaq

Post Wed, Feb 20 2013, 7:41 pm
The only funny foods I know are Laffy Taffy and Chuckles.

poelmamosh

Post Wed, Feb 20 2013, 8:01 pm
I have a cookbook called "The Secret Life of Food" by Claire Crespo, with lots of cute (and some creepy) recipes. It might have what you're looking for.

ThankYouHashem

Post Wed, Feb 20 2013, 8:04 pm
how about mashed potatoes (from a piping bag with tip) in an ice cream cone for dessert.

cake that looks like challah (make a babka and braid it)

Thats all for now...
but im sure ill have more for you soon!

life is fun

Post Sun, Mar 09 2014, 4:38 pm
serving afters/smaller portion of it at the beginning or middle of the meal, that's venahafoch hu, my kids fund it amusing.
little fish crouton spread around on the table or jelly fish

imasinger

Post Sun, Mar 09 2014, 4:46 pm
I saw a cute picture of challah shaped like hamentaschen.

I really like this thread! Keep those ideas coming...

sky

Post Sun, Mar 09 2014, 4:52 pm
Dessert: Scoop of ice cream on a circle or flower shaped sugar cookie. Choco chips for eyes. Cherry sour for the nose\mouth and a mini tiny ice cream cone for the crown. I also added dabs of icing from a tube to the ice cream cone. Like 3 pom poms down the front with a lentil stuck in each one.

I tried making meat knishes for our purim sueda out of puff pastry dough in the shape of hamentashen. It wasn't working so I took a square of dough. Cut it in half to form 2 triangles. put a mound of meat mixture in the middle of the triangle. Cut a whole out of the other triangel and place on top of the meat with the meat in the opening. painted with an egg and baked. It looked so pretty.
[But took too long to make 40 of them so I just switched to a more traditional and quicker shape]

someone recently wrote that they put food coloring in each strand of her challah at the purim seuda.

wifeandmore

Post Sun, Mar 09 2014, 5:00 pm
Many foods can be made hamantash shaped. Sushi. Google hamantash sushi. Challah. Potato knishes. Meat knishes. Fry fish patties after cutting in triangle shape. Fresh and ez has a delicious recipe for the seudah with chicken beats in a malawach dough and apricot dipping sauce. Search hamantini those are cute too.

sky

Post Sun, Mar 09 2014, 6:09 pm
Franks 'n blanks with extra dough hanging off as a megilla (one of the magazines had that in their recipe section last year

November

Post Mon, Mar 10 2014, 3:30 pm
These are great! We are having a seudah together with many families with small children. I am thinking of setting the table so that each person has a different colored paper plate. The table will be very colorful. Would love to add some more touches. Any ideas?

lovely1

Post Mon, Mar 10 2014, 4:07 pm
I made a round cake of 2 layers, dark and light ground chicken, with mashed potatoes for the cream. I decorated the top with flowers of mustard and ketchup.

sky

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 1:26 pm
wifeandmore wrote:
Many foods can be made hamantash shaped. Sushi. Google hamantash sushi. Challah. Potato knishes. Meat knishes. Fry fish patties after cutting in triangle shape. Fresh and ez has a delicious recipe for the seudah with chicken beats in a malawach dough and apricot dipping sauce. Search hamantini those are cute too.

Which recipe is this? Is it the one with Pastrami?

sky

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 1:32 pm
I"m thinking something like this:

Hamentashen meat knishes

chicken soup with kreplach (I have in my freezer)

Chinese main:
Sesame Chicken cutlets
Lo Mein
Pepper Steak (if its in my freezer??) or baked egg rolls
sticky green beans (no one here like broccoli - that would be easiest)
Potato kugel (ch'v we go without it).

Gefilte fish cake (from the OP - white cake with orange icing.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus