Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Merry-go-round strep..,

amother

Post Tue, Feb 19 2013, 12:55 pm
The past 3 weeks another family member takes a turn being sick, and then when they're finally better they catch it again. Score me:2x, DH 1x, dd:2x, dd2: 2x, toddler: 1x, newborn: 1x..,
Today school called dd is sick again!!! BH whoever gets it second time fever isn't as bad, not as weak/sore. But I can't take off of work so much, today I left dd at home with a babysitter, and then I'm taking her to dr.

How do I kick this infection out of my house for good? I'm changing linens, washing towels and laundry like a madwoman, giving out hand sanitizer like crazy. Today when I get home I'm gonna Clorox all handles and faucets...what more can I do?

amother

Post Tue, Feb 19 2013, 1:15 pm
Perhaps the entire family should be on a round of prophylactic medicine at the same time.

Also boil or buy new toothbrushes for everybody as they can harbor bacteria.

brenda

Post Tue, Feb 19 2013, 1:15 pm
Replace all toothbrushes and of course no sharing cups.

cbsmommy

Post Tue, Feb 19 2013, 1:44 pm
amother wrote:
The past 3 weeks another family member takes a turn being sick, and then when they're finally better they catch it again. Score me:2x, DH 1x, dd:2x, dd2: 2x, toddler: 1x, newborn: 1x..,
Today school called dd is sick again!!! BH whoever gets it second time fever isn't as bad, not as weak/sore. But I can't take off of work so much, today I left dd at home with a babysitter, and then I'm taking her to dr.

How do I kick this infection out of my house for good? I'm changing linens, washing towels and laundry like a madwoman, giving out hand sanitizer like crazy. Today when I get home I'm gonna Clorox all handles and faucets...what more can I do?

As soon as I saw this my first thought was "throw out EVERYONE's toothbrushes" (step 1).

Step 2 - skip the hand sanitizer and swap over to hand washing.

Step 3 - wash ALL of the toys in hot soapy water. Especially because you write that you have a toddler, and a toddler sticks everything in his mouth. If your 5 year old then picks up the toy (that the toddler slobbered on and then dropped) and then she eats a snack -- mazal tov, she's been re-exposed.

Step 4 - forget the idea of a communal hand towel. Everyone gets a wash cloth to dry hands on. When the strep is fully gone, stick a hand towel back in your bathroom. Until then, forget it.

Step 5 - Re-Check to see if anyone else in your family has strep and is acting as a carrier. You mention 4 kids, it is possible that you, or DH, or even a DS that you haven't mentioned yet has strep without being fully symptomatic. We've had situations where someone was acting as a carrier for strep - no fever but said individual was spreading the bacterial germiness all over everything. Plus, since that person didn't feel sick, he was acting as "care-giver" and making the food/setting the table for everyone.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics