Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Ear infection + strep = which antibiotics?

amother

Post Sun, Mar 03 2013, 8:21 pm
my son (12 mos) has an ear infection for which hes taking omnicef. I have strep, so my dr said ds probably also has strep. he was going to take a culture and I asked him if it will make a difference if he does or doesnt have.
dr said, hes going to be taking antibiotics anyways, so it makes no difference. he was so miserable, my poor baby, so I told the dr never mind the culture. im assuming the omnicef is stronger than whatever he would prescribe for strep.
but ds is still so kranky after being on antibiotics since friday. is it possible that the antibiotics is not taking care of the strep?

mommy of boys

Post Sun, Mar 03 2013, 8:30 pm
ds also has both now and dr gave him amoxicilan to cover for both.
I think most antibiotics that work for one go for both

amother

Post Sun, Mar 03 2013, 8:36 pm
op. I thought its stronger b/c amoxicillan is taken twice a day, whereas omnicef is once a day

octopus

Post Sun, Mar 03 2013, 8:44 pm
I dunno, but I have found that whenever my kids were prescribed omnicef it never fully took anything away and they needed antibiotics again a week later. It is stronger I guess because it's once a day, but I always felt that twice a day was more consistant and worked better, especially if baby spit part of it out.

bookie

Post Sun, Mar 03 2013, 8:47 pm
and I have never had a problem with Omnicef and have had a few kids on it more than once. It could take your child up to four days to be themselves after strep.

anonymrs

Post Sun, Mar 03 2013, 8:58 pm
Fluid in the ears is extremely painful. It can take a while for it to fully drain even if the infection is clearing up. If it was my dd, I would take a culture and see if she has strep and ask the dr which antibiotics he thinks would be best for strep. Ear infections will usually get better on their own while strep really should be treated properly.

goodheart

Post Sun, Mar 03 2013, 8:59 pm
it could be the med not working /omnicef is stronger
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics