Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Help planning upsherin menu

amother

Post Mon, Mar 04 2013, 10:54 am
We are making a little bit of a big deal about it by renting a shul basement pls no bashing just need some help finallizing a menu.
for the hot table will have mini egg rolls, mini potato things(only 1 tray no refil), meat balls, sesame chicken, chicken nugget , pepper steak, brown rice, orzo with veggies, snap pea stir fry, string bean dish debating if potato kugel would go

salad bar thinking a simple lettuce salad, corn salad, cucumber salad, cole slaw, sesame noodle salad, veggie plate debate if a red cabbage salad or an angel hair with red cabbage would work also

sweet table is a big cake and mini trifle, sprinkle cookies, choc. chip vanilla and choc. crinkle cookies, rugellach, some aleph bet cookie a few tzitis cookies and mini black & white smiley cookies is anything else neccessary

I am expecting approx. 60 kids and 100 adults please only give advice not bashing that its a big event their are many reasons why we are doing what appears large scale .keep in mind all is homemade

amother

Post Mon, Mar 04 2013, 11:28 am
meal sounds great! have you thought about adding fruit?

CatLady

Post Mon, Mar 04 2013, 12:16 pm
Great menu! The only things I'd add would be a fruit salad, maybe served in a hollowed-out watermelon. (amother and I are on the same wavelength!) and maybe a veggie platter. You could use salsa mixed with mayo as a dip, which is dead easy, not too spicy for the kids and always goes over well in my experience.

RachelEve14

Post Mon, Mar 04 2013, 12:26 pm
Sounds great.

If you want to do potato kugel, maybe swap the fried potato things for Moshe b'Teva (franks in blanks). Easy to make and the kids (and adults) love them.

sbs

Post Mon, Mar 04 2013, 9:13 pm
I agree that maybe franks in blanks is a good idea instead of potato kugel
you already have a lot of starch side dishes

also you mentioned 1 try of each, no refill, next to potato things, is that just for that or for everything

one tray of each thing you mentioned doesn't seem like nearly enough food for 100 adults and 60 kids, usually it's estimated 5-7 portions from a 9x13 pan (depends how full it is) and you don't have so many protein mains
maybe add a couple more of those

amother

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 12:08 am
the potato thing is the only thing with 1 all other dishes will have enough for 3-4 fills may pput 2 out at a time
protiens: falafell balls
sweet and sour meatballs
reg. meatballs
sesame chicken
chicken fingers
peper steak
sides orzo with veggies
brown rice
potato puff
string bean and pepper dish
snap pea stir fry
cannot do pigs in the blanket for allergy reasons still unsure what peoples opinion of the kugel is as far as the salads I will be doing veggie plates not sure about fruit due to cost and seasonality
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics