Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Does your child have asthma?

amother

Post Mon, Mar 04 2013, 8:44 pm
If so, how do you treat it? My three year old has not been officially diagnosed with asthma, but it's glaringly obvious. The pediatrician said I can either try a homeopath, or she will refer me to an allergist for what will likely be steroid treatment. I would like to try something alternative first. Has anyone tried anything? If you went the standard route, can you share the process? This is for a preschooler. Thanks!

amother

Post Mon, Mar 04 2013, 8:57 pm
Some of my kids have asthma .2 are on singular and a daily iinhaled preventive med. They rarely have an asthma attack or episode of wheezing. They don't take steroids . (Only if the nebulizer treatment don't work)

amother

Post Mon, Mar 04 2013, 9:01 pm
Try a chiropractor my son who is 20 months wheezed and has been going for a month now and it's gone. I know 3 people who are off asthma medicine bec of a chiropractor.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 04 2013, 10:45 pm
Hi, My son has asthma and probably since he was a baby. Up until age two it was not diagnosed as asthma - the Dr. said that asthma is not diagnosed under 2 because their lungs are not fully developed. So anytime he had breathing issues he was put on a nebulizer. Once he hit 2yo the Dr. sent us to an allergist. He is now 6 and takes advair inhaler twice a day and xoponex when the asthma flairs up. On rare occasions he has been on steroids but only when he is not improving with xopenex. Also, the steroid treatment is only for 5 days and then back to the normal routine. The one time I tried to stop the advair he ended up in the hospital (over a year ago). He also has eczema and food allergies. Good luck!

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 12:20 am
I am talking from my own personal experience as a child with asthma.
Please go to a proper dr. and not just a homeopath. If you want to try alternative, some people have success but you want to make sure you have the proper medicine if its needed.
The standard path depends on the severity of the asthma.
If its moderate, most people will be put on a controller medicine to take daily (an inhaler for adults or nebulizer for little kids) and then will have a break through med in the event of a flare.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 2:12 am
My daughter and I both have asthma. I'm on a twice daily inhaler, and she's on daily Singulair plus twice daily inhaler. We're both pretty well controlled that way. I advise against going the alternative route for asthma too.

e1234

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 2:19 am
my son takes singular and has been without an asthma attack for a while
I want to give it a try in the beginning of the summer to take him off the medicine but now is high ashma season

amother

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 3:52 am
my 12 year old has asthma eczema and lots of allergies.
The eczema and asthma is strongly connected to his seasonal allergies. he has food allergies too but bh none are life threatening.
we have tried lots of things over the years.
now he is on a 3 year course of immunotherapy. with dr Cohen
http://www.theonlineallergist......about
he also uses an inhaler 2 times a day and takes singular once.
its really under control bh

evie

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 6:00 am
amother wrote:
Some of my kids have asthma .2 are on singular and a daily iinhaled preventive med. They rarely have an asthma attack or episode of wheezing. They don't take steroids . (Only if the nebulizer treatment don't work)

This is pretty much us, but we don't do the inhalations every day, only when the asthma is coming on (for one of our kids). Also mine are old enough for inhalers, but we do still have our nebulizer.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 8:11 am
OP
I appreciate the responses. Can those who recommended avoiding alternative treatments please elaborate on why you feel that way? Did you have negative experiences?

evie

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 8:25 am
amother wrote:
OP
I appreciate the responses. Can those who recommended avoiding alternative treatments please elaborate on why you feel that way? Did you have negative experiences?

Op, I can tell you that I tried nearly every alternative treatment that I could dig up, starting with an air filter and herbs and on and on, and none of it worked. That's not to say they don't work for others, but they didnt work for my kids, who have ended up in the hospital in the past because of their asthma. Even the meds don't bork perfectly, but they work much better than everything else I tried.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 9:07 am
Alternative treatment is fine for things that aren't diagnosed medical conditions .
But from my experience none of it worked for asthma.
Its also very expensive.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 11:54 am
I did alternative. It was pretty successful. I know 2 others who did other alternative methods also successfully. As long as dc has no trouble breathing I can't think there is any harm in trying esp if your regular dr is in on it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics