Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Baby around nonvaccinated kids

amother

Post Mon, Mar 04 2013, 8:07 pm
Our cousin often invites us over to her house for Shabbat, occassions, etc.
I get nervous when we're there because she has 4 kids and NONE of them are vaccinated. Is it risky/dangerous for my baby to be in their home & around her kids?

amother

Post Mon, Mar 04 2013, 8:42 pm
I asked my pediatrician about this and she felt strongly that until my kids are fully vaccinated, they should not be around totally unvaccinated children. ESPECIALLY my young baby. Ask your pediatrician what he or she says. But if you tell her no and are honest about why, be prepared for some blowback...and probably some lectures you don't want to hear....so may be better to come up with a different reason!

ElTam

Post Mon, Mar 04 2013, 8:45 pm
You will get a lot of different answers. Chances are, her kids aren't going to get anything because most other kids are vaccinated and so they are protected by "herd immunity."

That being said, I wouldn't take my baby there. Because they do have a higher risk of catching things and transmitting them to your baby, who is too young to have many vaccines yet. This story kind of sums the issues up for me.

http://news.health.com/2010/03.....hild/

amother

Post Mon, Mar 04 2013, 8:52 pm
There's a big sign in my kids doctors office that says if you choose not to vaccinate your child then you have to wait in the hall because its dangerous for other children. So my doctors would for sure say to stay away. It would make me nervous also.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics