Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
UPDATED. Am I depriving DD by not giving her drinks?
1  2  3  4  Next

SivanMom

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 12:19 pm
My pediatrician is very against juice because of weight issues, so I've never bought juice since my oldest was born 6 years ago. We were drinking lots of diet drinks and soda. About a year ago I decided that all the diet soda wasn't healthy and that we would be switching over to water. Somehow, that ended up morphing into Crystal Light lemonades. About two months ago, I said enough is enough, we're switching to water. We have delicious filtered water from our fridge, and we buy one bottle of diet soda per shabbos meal. My 6 year old, 4 year old and 2 year old son have all transitioned fine, either drinking water or milk, and don't ask me for anything else. My 2 year old daughter on the other hand, still cries for lemonade or grape juice or soda. ALL THE TIME. She never ever drinks water. She'll drink milk, but only after crying for something else first. She used to be my biggest drinker, and would go through lemonade like it was going out of style. Now she hardly drinks. Every time she cries, my heart breaks and I feel my resolve getting weaker. I feel so bad for her, all she wants is a drink.
Am I making a mistake? Should I give in and make lemonade again? If she starts to drink lemonade, the rest will obviously want it too. Is it really that bad, health wise?

Last edited by SivanMom on Wed, Apr 24 2013, 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

5S5Sr7z3

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 12:23 pm
Can you give her diluted lemonade? And honestly, the junk in diet soda is way worse than drinking the regular soda.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 12:24 pm
I would stick to your guns. Buy her a "special" pretty water bottle. Hopefully by the summer she will be used to it and not get dehydrated.

Raisin

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 12:26 pm
I don't think a kid should be drinking diet soda.

She'll get used to it. Maybe keep soya or rice milk around for meat meals. I think it is great to have kids used to drinking water.

Simple1

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 12:29 pm
I would dilute it with water. If you make it into an issue, it ill become one. Maybe compromise, sometimes giving drinks, and sometimes water. Try to encourage the water when she's not fussy.

You don't mention apple or orange juice, and while they're not that great health-wise, I feel like it's better than diet soda and lemonade because it's natural.

Also there is a danger of her dehydrating in which case any drink is better than none at all.

Last edited by Simple1 on Tue, Mar 05 2013, 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Amital

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 12:37 pm
Crystal light lemonade is diet, too. It's artifically sweetened, like diet soda.

Just stick with water, especially for the littlest ones!

Hodu Lashem

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 12:45 pm
In our house, we drink a lot of seltzer with a little orange juice or grape juice mixed in. It's fizzy, a little sweet, less caloric, and refreshing with no artificial sweeteners or articial colors! We also like to add ice which makes it even more refreshing. My kids also like to crunch on the ice in the end.
Put it in a fun cup and add a straw and it's even more fun!
Hope that helps!

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 12:49 pm
Does she go to school or have a babysitter that gives her juice (with/or without you knowing?)

amother

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 1:34 pm
So you're giving your children artificial poison in lieu of god's natural fruit juice? I'm not sure how that makes any sense.

spring13

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 1:34 pm
Better for her to learn now. Little kids have a built-in sweet tooth, its not weird for her to want it, but it might be smart to go cold turkey starting on a Sunday and let her kind of detox. She'll get thirsty and drink eventually.

I'm really not a fan of giving artificial sweeteners to kids for any reason. Better a cup a day of real juice and water the rest of the time.

StrongIma

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 1:48 pm
I think you should make your own lemonade for her (the others can drink it too) from store-bought 100% lemon (or orange) juice concentrate and sugar. Gradually cut down the sugar until she adjusts to water, or quite diluted natural juice.

dehydration is a serious matter, worse than having some sugar - but without chemicals.

IMHopinion

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 1:53 pm
First of all, I'd rather give juice than diet soda.

Second, my kids have a limit. They get juice (diluted with water) twice daily. After that it's water only. They get to choose when they want their juice.

Also, I make my own lemonade. It's one pitcher water, 1 cup lemon jc, and 1/2 cup sugar.
Easy, not sweet, and refreshing.

My kids love it and so do the adults.

mfb

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 1:59 pm
My kids love flavored seltzer and like that there's no artificial sugar which is really unhealthy
On Shabbos they get orange juice

amother

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 2:00 pm
Here's how we transitioned from sweet drinks to water pretty painlessly. My kids were drinking pretty much only juice and hardly ever water. When we decided to put a stop to it, instead of telling them that they couldn't drink anything sweet, every time they wanted juice, we told them they had to drink a cup of water first. It worked wonders. Many times, after drinking the water, they no longer wanted the juice. By now, they really drink only water. Shabbos, birthdays, and Rosh Chodesh are pretty much the only times we let them have sweet drinks without having water first. The rest of the time, even though the drinks might be in the house, they very rarely ask for them.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 2:22 pm
I would try a compromise too, as other posters have suggested. In our house, we have milk at breakfast with a drop of OJ in it. At dinnertime we have watered down OJ (probably half to two thirds water). Lunch it depends on my mood -- either watered down OJ or just water if I'm too busy to bother Wink

I think the main problem with juice is when kids drink it ALL the time. So my main rule is that between meals, if you're thirsty, you drink water. Saves on washing/throwing out cups (my kids use sippies or water bottles). And it's healthier.

There's nothing wrong with a glass of juice a day. It's not as healthy as the actual fruit, but it does have nutrients in it. I think the most important thing you have to remember is the three words: EVERYTHING IN MODERATION.

Figure out what set-in-stone rules work for you, and stick to them. But please don't outlaw it entirely, it will only make her want it more.

(From my point of view...I made a big concession this year and started giving my kids juice boxes, the little mini size ones, maybe once a month in their lunches. Once a month won't hurt them, and this way, they didn't feel deprived that their friends have juice boxes. They're not these things that mommy forbids them to have, they're just something that shows up in their lunchbags every once in a while.)

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 2:44 pm
My 2 year olds generally drink water. Sometimes my daughter will ask for grape juice, so then I'll put a drop into 8 ounces of water.

There's no reason to drink anything other than water (or some type of milk). It's not good for the teeth and it's only empty calories.

At least some OJ's contain calcium and vitamin D, so it's not a total waste.

imasinger

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 2:47 pm
I love the solution of "you have to drink a cup of water first."

99% of the battle is getting kids used to the taste and sensation.

emama

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 5:06 pm
I don't get it. Your pediatrician said no to fruit juices-which I take means 100% juice-but said soda and diet soda were ok? Soda and diet soda are all junk- filled with sugar or chemicals and should never be a regular drink for children. So, now that you want to change there are many good suggestions posted above. I like the idea of a diluted juice for a nice change occasionally, or diluted lemonade, or seltzer and some fruit juice or flavor added to it if she yearns for soda-like carbonation, as well as water. Put it in a nice cup and add a straw and some ice if she likes. Good for you, to make this change for your family.

busydev

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 5:25 pm
Get rid of the soda and serve juice on shabbos. Thats what we have started to do for our 16mo son. he gets juice lekovod shabbos. other then that its milk a couple times a day and water. Juice is 100% better then soda (diet or regular).

I would slowly dilute the lemonade (I agree its better make your own then use crystal lite) by adding more water every day until she is basically drinking water.

SivanMom

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 6:21 pm
Thanks for your input everyone. Juice is not an option because of weight issues. My 4 year old is borderline obese (which sounds worse than it is - she weighed 40 lbs and was 39.25" at her 4 year well visit) even though she has a well balanced, healthy diet. Therefore, we have to cut any unnecessary calories from her diet (we worked with a nutritionist). If she can't have it, I don't want it in the house, at least for the time being. In addition, I have two 2 year olds who don't understand the concept of just twice a day, and I just can't stand the screaming and crying. Because I need to pick my battles, and drinks are not one of the ones I choose, it's either all the time or none of the time. My pediatrician and nutritionist both said that although obviously water is the best choice, I should do diet drinks instead of juices. I'm not saying this is the right choice for everyone, but in our situation this is what they advised.
I like the idea of telling them to drink water before drinking something else, but again, my 2 year olds wouldn't understand this, and my older ones are fine with the water.
I'll try to get her a special cup, I like that idea too. I wonder if water coming from a Hello Kitty cup tastes better to a 2 year old girl?
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics