Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
UPDATED. Am I depriving DD by not giving her drinks?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Raisin

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 6:24 pm
you can also make lemonade with a healthy low calorie sweetener like stevia. Your 2 year old will probably enjoy the process of making lemonade as well.

Peanut2

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 6:26 pm
Kids should not have diet. Ever. An occasional soda is better.

Get rid of diet anything, or have a healthy alternative for the kiddos.

Soda in general is incredible unhealthy. Fruit juice is much better.

So it goes like this: water or milk or fresh juice (the kind you make or squeeze, in moderation because of all the sugar > commercially prepared juice >>>>>>>>>>>>> soda (pretty bad)>diet soda or diet anything else, which you should never give children.

I drink a lot of diet soda and consider it a dirty habit. I limited it when pregnant. Non diet is better.

Peanut2

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 6:29 pm
My dd drinks diluted juice. We dilute commercial juice and sometimes also fresh juice, since we don't want to get her used to overly sweet liquids. The only exception is when we are trying to disguise the taste of yucky antibiotics, which we just had to do recently...

My experience is that this is super common. All babysitters, grandparents, etc. said of course when I told them to dilute.

Last edited by Peanut2 on Tue, Mar 05 2013, 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

SivanMom

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 6:29 pm
Raisin wrote:
you can also make lemonade with a healthy low calorie sweetener like stevia. Your 2 year old will probably enjoy the process of making lemonade as well.

I don't know anything about stevia. Is that more healthy than other sweeteners?

bamamama

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 7:18 pm
SivanMom wrote:
Thanks for your input everyone. Juice is not an option because of weight issues. My 4 year old is borderline obese (which sounds worse than it is - she weighed 40 lbs and was 39.25" at her 4 year well visit) even though she has a well balanced, healthy diet. Therefore, we have to cut any unnecessary calories from her diet (we worked with a nutritionist). If she can't have it, I don't want it in the house, at least for the time being. In addition, I have two 2 year olds who don't understand the concept of just twice a day, and I just can't stand the screaming and crying. Because I need to pick my battles, and drinks are not one of the ones I choose, it's either all the time or none of the time. My pediatrician and nutritionist both said that although obviously water is the best choice, I should do diet drinks instead of juices. I'm not saying this is the right choice for everyone, but in our situation this is what they advised.
I like the idea of telling them to drink water before drinking something else, but again, my 2 year olds wouldn't understand this, and my older ones are fine with the water.
I'll try to get her a special cup, I like that idea too. I wonder if water coming from a Hello Kitty cup tastes better to a 2 year old girl?

I'm stunned that your nutritionist thinks diet drinks are ok. Stunned. They aren't. Not for kids. Not in the quantity kids need fluids. I'd see another nutritionist if I were you - one who is up to date on his/her info.

In the past, I have made iced tea from Celestial Seasonings fruit teas (red zinger, etc). They are naturally a drop sweet and are delicious cold.

Another idea - don't know if someone already mentioned it - carbonated water. You can buy bottles of it at the grocery store. It's fantastic with just a little juice or even on its own. My kids call it "fizzy juice".

Tova

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 7:29 pm
SivanMom wrote:
Thanks for your input everyone. Juice is not an option because of weight issues. My 4 year old is borderline obese (which sounds worse than it is - she weighed 40 lbs and was 39.25" at her 4 year well visit) even though she has a well balanced, healthy diet. Therefore, we have to cut any unnecessary calories from her diet (we worked with a nutritionist). If she can't have it, I don't want it in the house, at least for the time being. In addition, I have two 2 year olds who don't understand the concept of just twice a day, and I just can't stand the screaming and crying. Because I need to pick my battles, and drinks are not one of the ones I choose, it's either all the time or none of the time. My pediatrician and nutritionist both said that although obviously water is the best choice, I should do diet drinks instead of juices. I'm not saying this is the right choice for everyone, but in our situation this is what they advised.
I like the idea of telling them to drink water before drinking something else, but again, my 2 year olds wouldn't understand this, and my older ones are fine with the water.
I'll try to get her a special cup, I like that idea too. I wonder if water coming from a Hello Kitty cup tastes better to a 2 year old girl?

Just found a child growth calculator on google and 4 years (I put in zero months) 40 pounds is 82nd percentile. How is that borderline obese? I had to check that, because we recently took my daughter in for her 4 year old checkup; went when she was 4 years 3 months and she weighed 42 pounds. Doctor said it was 80th percentile and was happy with that as she's been consistently there (she's 90th in height). Per the chart on google I see it's actually 84th percentile for my daughter... I don't see any cause for concern.

SivanMom

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 7:38 pm
Tova wrote:
SivanMom wrote:

Just found a child growth calculator on google and 4 years (I put in zero months) 40 pounds is 82nd percentile. How is that borderline obese? I had to check that, because we recently took my daughter in for her 4 year old checkup; went when she was 4 years 3 months and she weighed 42 pounds. Doctor said it was 80th percentile and was happy with that as she's been consistently there (she's 90th in height). Per the chart on google I see it's actually 84th percentile for my daughter... I don't see any cause for concern.

My daughter is only 50%ile for height, which puts her bmi at 95th percentile, which is borderline obese. Like I said in my original post, it's not as bad as it sounds. She doesn't look obese, she just has a bit of a belly and a double chin (and is adorable, if I may say so). We just don't want it to become a problem in the future.

honeybunches

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 8:19 pm
I did not read all the posts yet, so forgive me if this is repetitive, but I like to drink water with slices of lemon floating in it. no sugar, no garbage and not plain either.

precious

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 8:30 pm
she might like the water better if it was cold, or you can put ice cubes in it

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 8:36 pm
Studies have shown a link between drinking diet sodas and obesity. I am astounded that anyone would recommend this for a child. Really shocked.

To answer your question, no you are not depriving your kids by keeping them healthy. You are doing your job as a parent.

Peanut2

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 8:57 pm
Your nutritionist and doctor are wrong.

Please do not give diet soda to your children. They are very unhealthy. And they are linked to obesity, but even if they weren't you should not give diet soda to children. Some people gain weight when they quit smoking. They should still quit smoking.

And why can't you give diluted juice to the 2 year old and not the 4 year old?

If it's all or none then no more diet soda for the whole household IMO. I really think that diluted juice, in the long run, will teach healthier eating to your children and help prevent obesity.

Or use any of the advice given: ice in water, carbonated water, mint or lemon in water, tea without sugar that is then iced.

If your kids cannot have even diluted juice then they cannot have sweet drinks. In addition to diet drinks being unhealthy they are incredibly sweet tasting and they don't teach your kids healthy eating. It will be better to cut out artificial sweeteners and learn to appreciate the natural sweetness of apples, grapes, pears, etc. in moderation.

Everything in moderation.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 9:02 pm
Drinking only water is all good and well in theory. In practise for some children it is a different story. Wait till your two year old gets a bladder infection from lack of water in her body. And severely constipated. Give her diluted juice. Tell the other children that the juice is only for your two year old. If you are willing to make your two year old understand ' only water' then you can make your older children understand' only for her'.

oliveoil

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 9:10 pm
Give her diluted juice and slowly - over a month or two - reduce the juice until she's drinking water.

It is infinitely better than diet soda. I am SHOCKED your doctor and nutritionist recommended that!

Mirabelle

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 9:10 pm
Diet drinks often contain aspartame, an artificial sweetner which has addictive properties, so OF COURSE your kids are craving it. Better to kick the habit now. I'm sure we all know people who are seriously addicted to diet coke. I broke my habit 2.5 years ago and havent touched the stuff since.

oliveoil

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 9:13 pm
Mirabelle wrote:
Diet drinks often contain aspartame, an artificial sweetner which has addictive properties, so OF COURSE your kids are craving it. Better to kick the habit now. I'm sure we all know people who are seriously addicted to diet coke. I broke my habit 2.5 years ago and havent touched the stuff since.

Congrats! I am also 4 years "sober" after a drastic addiction to diet coke.

eschaya

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 9:26 pm
Hodu Lashem wrote:
In our house, we drink a lot of seltzer with a little orange juice or grape juice mixed in. It's fizzy, a little sweet, less caloric, and refreshing with no artificial sweeteners or articial colors! We also like to add ice which makes it even more refreshing. My kids also like to crunch on the ice in the end.
Put it in a fun cup and add a straw and it's even more fun!
Hope that helps!

This is what we do, except it's only on Shabbos that we mix juice with the seltzer. Otherwise during the week we drink milk, water, and seltzer. If there is leftover juice from Shabbos then we get that during the week till it's used up.
And I agree with the above posters... diet soda is just as bad for you as regular soda.

try the selzer with orange juice... OJ is healthier than apple or other juices and mixed with seltzer it is yummy and low cal.
good luck

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 9:28 pm
eschaya wrote:
Hodu Lashem wrote:
In our house, we drink a lot of seltzer with a little orange juice or grape juice mixed in. It's fizzy, a little sweet, less caloric, and refreshing with no artificial sweeteners or articial colors! We also like to add ice which makes it even more refreshing. My kids also like to crunch on the ice in the end.
Put it in a fun cup and add a straw and it's even more fun!
Hope that helps!

This is what we do, except it's only on Shabbos that we mix juice with the seltzer. Otherwise during the week we drink milk, water, and seltzer. If there is leftover juice from Shabbos then we get that during the week till it's used up.
And I agree with the above posters... diet soda is just as bad for you as regular soda.

try the selzer with orange juice... OJ is healthier than apple or other juices and mixed with seltzer it is yummy and low cal.
good luck

Same! But we save the leftover juice from one Shabbos to the next.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 9:58 pm
I had a kid like that. You don't want her dehydrating. What about sun tea - a tea bag or 2 in a water bottle?

SivanMom

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 10:15 pm
Lots of interesting ideas. I think for now I'll continue with the all water policy (seltzer is also available as that's what DH and I drink, but none of my kids like it). Instead of the soda on shabbos I'll buy one container of juice, and give it diluted. You all convinced me to stop the diet. I'll buy her a special cup, though I tried an Elmo cup tonight and she very clearly told me "I don't want water in elmo, I want grape juice in elmo. I don't like water." Whereas her twin just said "elmo!" I also realized that at her age, my older two loved drinking from sports cap water bottles. I never buy those now because I have cold water from my fridge. Maybe she would like that. I could just see the two of them spraying water all over my house and giggling! Also, they're home with me now, but will be going out to daycamp. Over there, I'm sure it's an all water policy, and she just won't have a choice. So far her diapers are sufficiently wet, so I'm not concerned about dehydration, and when I see that she hasn't had a drink in a while I make her chocolate milk.

oliveoil

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 10:18 pm
SivanMom wrote:
Lots of interesting ideas. I think for now I'll continue with the all water policy (seltzer is also available as that's what DH and I drink, but none of my kids like it). Instead of the soda on shabbos I'll buy one container of juice, and give it diluted. You all convinced me to stop the diet. I'll buy her a special cup, though I tried an Elmo cup tonight and she very clearly told me "I don't want water in elmo, I want grape juice in elmo. I don't like water." Whereas her twin just said "elmo!" I also realized that at her age, my older two loved drinking from sports cap water bottles. I never buy those now because I have cold water from my fridge. Maybe she would like that. I could just see the two of them spraying water all over my house and giggling! Also, they're home with me now, but will be going out to daycamp. Over there, I'm sure it's an all water policy, and she just won't have a choice. So far her diapers are sufficiently wet, so I'm not concerned about dehydration, and when I see that she hasn't had a drink in a while I make her chocolate milk.
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Good for you! You sound like a great mom!
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics