Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
World's Strictest Parents UK ~ Israel
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

rainbow dash

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 5:39 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_0IVoml26o

rae gi

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 6:59 pm
Thanks for posting.

hot pink

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 8:09 pm
I think the episode was a big kiddush Hashem! I do think they could have explained some of the laws a little more, like the beauty of tsnius and shomer negiah - but overall I think it really showed the kindness and compassion of this family and their acceptance to these 2 insane kids.

Also, I don't think it really looked too good that they didn't want to 'upset the community' or to look bad in front of them by the 2 guests dressing or acting certain ways. That kind of made everyone look like sheep - but overall, it was really amazing to see their attitudes change (hopefully for good!) and the kiddush Hashem they really did make.

Peanut2

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 9:41 pm
I saw this episode a while ago. I read about it after watching and IIRC the British kids (at least the guy) said they had some really great experiences that weren't shown on camera, including on shabbos and with kids their age.

naomi2

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 10:48 pm
Also, I don't think it really looked too good that they didn't want to 'upset the community' or to look bad in front of them by the 2 guests dressing or acting certain ways. That kind of made everyone look like sheep -

I've seen other episodes where the parents made similar comments and they weren't jewish.

gila-rina

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 11:47 pm
embarrassing embarrassed

zaq

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 11:49 pm
Kiddush hashem it may have been, but the comments posted on youtube were dreadful. Must have been British kids posting. maybe friends of gemma & jack.

I'm just wondering why the Shakeds would agree to this? My word, when Gemma let loose with that potty mouth in front of the Shaked kids I thought I'd faint myself.

It's not as if the precious pair were orphans all alone in the world, so why would a nice religious couple agree to take in a couple of very unstable powder kegs in the middle of a very dry summer, when they have impressionable young children at home and a standing to maintain in their community?

cs1

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 11:50 pm
wow. I think this is the most beautiful thing ever!
kudos to the famiky that took them in who neve lost their cool

OOTforlife

Post Wed, Mar 06 2013, 12:04 am
Thanks for posting!

Last edited by OOTforlife on Wed, Mar 06 2013, 12:42 am; edited 2 times in total

OOTforlife

Post Wed, Mar 06 2013, 12:15 am
zaq wrote:
Kiddush hashem it may have been, but the comments posted on youtube were dreadful. Must have been British kids posting. maybe friends of gemma & jack.

I'm just wondering why the Shakeds would agree to this? My word, when Gemma let loose with that potty mouth in front of the Shaked kids I thought I'd faint myself.

It's not as if the precious pair were orphans all alone in the world, so why would a nice religious couple agree to take in a couple of very unstable powder kegs in the middle of a very dry summer, when they have impressionable young children at home and a standing to maintain in their community?
Maybe they hoped it would be good PR for both Israel and Orthodoxy. Both get a lot of bad press.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 06 2013, 2:02 am
I know the Shakeds, and I live near the community. They are the sweetest people, and love helping others. They go out of their way to help other people. They would love to do something like this for Jewish teens,but no such platform exists.
And really keep in mind, BBC and other tv channels/programs always have an agenda. Hours and hours of film were cut and edited to make it portray a message that BBC wanted to portray. I met Jack and Gemma, and I was there for some of the filming-not everything is how it seems on TV.
For what it's worth, they were happy they did it, but very unhappy and disappointed with the edited, aired version. And they still keep in touch with the teens.

evie

Post Wed, Mar 06 2013, 1:02 pm
Still watching but thank you so much for posting the! I've never seen this show before and this is really great.

ETA I was bawling by the end (gosh, I've become such a crier!)... That family is really amazing. I would love to meet them!

amother

Post Wed, Mar 06 2013, 4:32 pm
amother wrote:
They would love to do something like this for Jewish teens,but no such platform exists.

I'm not sure what you mean by "no such platform exists". But I'm assuming it means that there is a lack of Jewish teens who act like this? Or a lack of them whose parents would give them up for a week? (I doubt that)

I watched a lot of these episodes recently and I'm sorry to say this but these teens make teenage-me look like an angel! And there were many other Jewish teens that this applies to. Even now, there is no lack of them.

This show is cute but it's odd that this method works for all those teens, more or less. I can think of myself and a few others who would have ran away or done a lot worse. But if they want to reach out and try to help Jewish teens who act out- I'm sure they can find some to help.

penguin

Post Wed, Mar 06 2013, 5:47 pm
Did anyone else totally think Tzippy wasn't wearing a shaitel? She must have some shaitel-macher, no?

zaq

Post Wed, Mar 06 2013, 8:34 pm
penguin wrote:
Did anyone else totally think Tzippy wasn't wearing a shaitel? She must have some shaitel-macher, no?

Yes.

chocolate chips

Post Wed, Mar 06 2013, 8:48 pm
This is an old show and I remember watching a couple years back in the UK.

I found it quite strange that they would agree to host these kids but on the other hand such kids really need a shock to the system and no better way to do it!

thatgirl

Post Wed, Mar 06 2013, 11:46 pm
Yes I also thought the mother had no shaitel on! Are her front hairs her real hair and her shaitel starts more back? I would love to know the brand of her wig! I also cried at the end.. I wonder how the teens are doing now and if they changed for the better at all since. Also did the sheked's son have a yarmulkah on? I couldnt tell in the film.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 07 2013, 1:04 am
I can't believe this is actually a discussion. Why are you discussing her hair covering or her sons's kippah. Does it matter, does lashon harah matter. I'm actually shocked. Sad
And since it all seems to matter so much...yes she wears a sheitel. She is an upstanding religious, orthodox, member of Judaism. She even has a brother whose name a lot of you would probably recognize. And yes her son, all of them in fact, wear kippahs.
And she is an outstanding mom, who would do anything for her kids or anyone else's.

evie

Post Thu, Mar 07 2013, 1:37 am
amother wrote:
I can't believe this is actually a discussion. Why are you discussing her hair covering or her sons's kippah. Does it matter, does lashon harah matter. I'm actually shocked. Sad
And since it all seems to matter so much...yes she wears a sheitel. She is an upstanding religious, orthodox, member of Judaism. She even has a brother whose name a lot of you would probably recognize. And yes her son, all of them in fact, wear kippahs.
And she is an outstanding mom, who would do anything for her kids or anyone else's.

Applause Applause

DrMom

Post Thu, Mar 07 2013, 3:27 am
evie wrote:
amother wrote:

Applause Applause

Absolutely. Why is the first instinct for so many people to nitpick over someone's observance and try and find fault?
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics