Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Anyone not have guests for seder?
1  2  Next

Petra

Post Sat, Mar 09 2013, 10:34 pm
Just checking. How odd is that? Or is it?

Maya

Post Sat, Mar 09 2013, 10:36 pm
So far, we're not having any. We're just a couple and a 7-year old son (baby will be sleeping.)

bamamama

Post Sat, Mar 09 2013, 10:38 pm
We also aren't. It'll be me, DH, and our bigger kids. Second night, we'll put everyone but the oldest to bed before seder.

Mama Bear

Post Sat, Mar 09 2013, 10:46 pm
In my velt you dont 'mish' - so people dont usually have guests for their seder outside of immediate family.

momoftwo2

Post Sat, Mar 09 2013, 10:53 pm
mama bear, I live in the same velt as you and my parents had guests pesach

amother

Post Sat, Mar 09 2013, 10:55 pm
Not possible now as I would be a terrible hostess busy with my little kids including a hyperactive 7 yr old!

ra_mom

Post Sat, Mar 09 2013, 10:59 pm
We're not having guests.
Nothing weird about it.
Just enjoy the intimate family time. It's awesome.

rainbow baby

Post Sun, Mar 10 2013, 12:30 am
I don't have guests. I think its the two nights that dh and I want to give our full attention to the children. Its the kids nights.

paprika

Post Sun, Mar 10 2013, 12:31 am
momoftwo2 wrote:

I heard that in your velt people pay the needy ones to come eat at a seder because its hard to find guest.

boysrus

Post Sun, Mar 10 2013, 12:32 am
Hey, I totally agree with rainbow baby! Seder nights are for the kids, and we have a mitzvah to fulfil too of vehigadta levincha, teaching our kids about yetzias mitzrayim!

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Mar 10 2013, 12:36 am
We are not having guests. I enjoy having the seder with just us.

shlomitsmum

Post Sun, Mar 10 2013, 12:49 am
We are by ourselves this year .

Mostly because we just moved and I have had this horrible bronchitis for a month and a half ,now some spotting and have little koach in general to go all out cooking wise.

But things wont be dull without guests here ..we make a big crazy child centered event complete with chocolate plagues ,frog straws an afikoman scavanging hunt etc

Some fun things we do :Our kids whip each other with scallions and decorate travelling saks and pretend to leave mitzraim (the young toodler loves packing stuff so I think she will enjoy this very much this year)
And SING ,sing and sing ...but around guest for somereason they get shy LOL

I just need koach to get my shaitel done the house clean and finish food shopping THIS WEEK LOL

Culturedpearls

Post Sun, Mar 10 2013, 3:12 am
shlomitsmum wrote:
We are by ourselves this year .

Mostly because we just moved and I have had this horrible bronchitis for a month and a half ,now some spotting and have little koach in general to go all out cooking wise.

But things wont be dull without guests here ..we make a big crazy child centered event complete with chocolate plagues ,frog straws an afikoman scavanging hunt etc

Some fun things we do :Our kids whip each other with scallions and decorate travelling saks and pretend to leave mitzraim (the young toodler loves packing stuff so I think she will enjoy this very much this year)
And SING ,sing and sing ...but around guest for somereason they get shy LOL

I just need koach to get my shaitel done the house clean and finish food shopping THIS WEEK LOL

I love your ideas! Please elaborate I'm always on a look out for fun things at the Seder . We always have guests but I want both our kids & theirs to really get involved.

momoftwo2

Post Sun, Mar 10 2013, 4:51 am
paprika wrote:
momoftwo2 wrote:

I heard that in your velt people pay the needy ones to come eat at a seder because its hard to find guest.

never heard of that.

RachelEve14

Post Sun, Mar 10 2013, 6:04 am
We are also not having guests unless one of the single BILs decides to join us.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Mar 10 2013, 6:05 am
ra_mom wrote:
We're not having guests.
Nothing weird about it.
Just enjoy the intimate family time. It's awesome.
Exactly. I don't understand the whole tumult of a seder thing. It's so nice with "just" the family!

out-of-towner

Post Sun, Mar 10 2013, 6:32 am
My parents very rarely have guests, and it is so much nicer that way! this year, their "guest" will be dh, as we are B"H in Shana Rishona. Our Seder is focused on what it is supposed to be focused on, the kids! We say/sing everything out loud as per our custom, but it goes fast and we are usually finished on the early side. We all really enjoy it!

chouli

Post Sun, Mar 10 2013, 6:32 am
This year we are "only" 13 people, the closest family.
I love having guests. Of course my kids are the most important on the seder nights, but it also teaches them how important and fun it can be to have an open house and to enhance the seder for others who might not otherwise have one.
Isn't it written in the haggada to let everyone in to participate who wants/needs it?

willow

Post Sun, Mar 10 2013, 9:53 am
I don't want any guest. It is late enough as it is without having to entertain

Petra

Post Sun, Mar 10 2013, 10:12 am
Thanks for the replies. I feel better and not like an odd duck even though in our community it is a little weird. I, too, feel that since it is about teaching the kids, this should be the main focus.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics