Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Teach your child math!

proudmama1

Post Sun, Mar 10 2013, 5:50 pm
Hi, has anyone ever heard of the book, ''How To Teach Your Baby Math'' by Glenn doman?
Basically it teaches your youngster as young as 10 months how to learn math. (Using flash cards with dots)
I have a friend who recommends this book where as she did it with her dd and it worked. was just wondering if anyone ever tried it and if yes with what success rate?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/075700184X

IMHopinion

Post Sun, Mar 10 2013, 7:47 pm
Why do you want to teach your 10 month old math?
I taught it to my kids at 5 without sophisticated books.

anonymrs

Post Sun, Mar 10 2013, 9:57 pm
Oh, dear..... DD is already 2 years old and all she can do is count to ten. Do you think I'm eligible for early intervention?? Help!!

cbsmommy

Post Sun, Mar 10 2013, 10:03 pm
Children under age 4 cannot learn using flashcards; don't try to teach your baby math using methods that are likely only 50-50 with a second grader.

Instead, concentrate on providing your baby with DEVELOPMENTALLY APPROPRIATE play. I know, it doesn't look like he's learning while he stacks cups but he's learning and developing:
- fine motor skills - which he'll need throughout his life
- gross motor skills - sitting up helps stregthen his back muscles. He cannot walk (and later jump, skip, hop, run, etc) without developing his muscles
- hand eye-coordination
- spacial processing
- auditory processing ("huh, when the towers fell they made a noise" "when I slap this cup against another cup it makes a sound")
-shapes (and the importance of size)

(btw, all of these skills are necessary baby steps in order for your son to learn math - and while technically a child who cannot sit up or hold a pencil can still learn math, his job will be easier if he can be on par with his peers)

Oh, and those skills are just the tip of the iceberg!
If he's playing with you he's also learning social and emotional skills, facial expressions/gestures, eye contact, and the beginning of how to have a conversation.

Instead of buying a book on Amazon that costs $10 and will be developmentally inappropriate (I promise, flash cards and DVDs actually have a paradoxical effect on babies) --
try buying this:

http://www.amazon.com/Green-To.....+toys

I promise, your baby will start to learn the beginnings of math skills with these.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers