Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Anyone know how to make potato starch?

abaker

Post Sun, Mar 17 2013, 9:36 am
was wondering if anyone had a recipie to make homeade potato starch? I dont want to buy the boxed kind in the store...if I cant make it I generally just go without it on pesach =)

chani8

Post Sun, Mar 17 2013, 12:09 pm
You win the frummest imamother award!

Liba

Post Sun, Mar 17 2013, 12:12 pm
grind potatoes and put them in a wide bowl with water. Squeeze out the potatoes and take them out, there will be water in the bowl with sediment on the bottom. Let the sediment settle well and then dump out the water carefully, leaving the sediment on the bottom. Let that dry and it is your potato starch.

FWIW it doesn't make much. A whole yom tov worth of potato kugel won't add up to all that much starch, but maybe if you have a crowd to feed... Very Happy

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Mar 17 2013, 12:36 pm
I have never done that, I just don't use it, but I understand that a juicer gives the most potato starch.

mummy-bh

Post Sun, Mar 17 2013, 7:26 pm
I make my own. I do pretty much as Liba instructs above, squeeze the juice out of the grated potatoes into a special bowl and let the sediment settle. Carefully pour off the foam and liquid, being careful not to loose any of the solid. I then add more water and mix the solid up into the water, so it completely dissolves. Again leave it to settle completely, and repeat several times. This ensures that you have clean, white starch. The last "rinse" I do over a sieve to catch any pieces of grated potato that may have been left in. When the sediment is white and the liquid completely clear, pour off for the last time. I separate the starch with a fork and allow it to dry out.

I just got about 1.5 cups of starch from 6kg potatoes

penguin

Post Sun, Mar 17 2013, 7:29 pm
Isn't there a way to substitute mashed potatoes in certain recipes?

I can't think of anything I would want to make that badly...well, maybe brownies, but if you don't use potato starch, I imagine you don't use cocoa either?

So can't you make a cake with nothing but eggs, nuts and lemon juice? Oh, sugar. Well, do you use sugar? Or boil it up before Pesach?

mummy-bh

Post Sun, Mar 17 2013, 7:40 pm
Are you asking me? No, I don't use cocoa. I only use granulated sugar before pesach. I make nut cakes, lemon cake. I use starch to make blintzes.

abaker

Post Sun, Mar 17 2013, 8:15 pm
chani8 wrote:

haha hardly! but I do like to avoid processed foods year round (theyre usually full or artificial flavors/colors/preservatives) and on top of that on pesach it's an unofficial chumra we have to not buy processed foods.

I'm going to try to use mashed potatoes in place of potato starch...a friend told me I might be able to make ground chicken meatballs...using eggs and some mashed potato to hold them together...we'll see how it goes!

thanks so much for the recipes everyone =)

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Mar 17 2013, 8:16 pm
For a week, we live without potato starch. We make cookies with nuts sugar and eggs

Cookies n Cream

Post Sun, Mar 17 2013, 9:30 pm
penguin wrote:

I can't think of anything I would want to make that badly...well, maybe brownies, but if you don't use potato starch, I imagine you don't use cocoa either?

So can't you make a cake with nothing but eggs, nuts and lemon juice? Oh, sugar. Well, do you use sugar? Or boil it up before Pesach?

My mother doesn't use cocoa.
She made potato starch for a couple of years but it wasn't worth the hassle and expense.
She does use sugar, but that's what all her cakes are eggs nuts, sugar and homemade lemon juice..

chani8

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 1:56 am
abaker wrote:
chani8 wrote:

haha hardly! but I do like to avoid processed foods year round (theyre usually full or artificial flavors/colors/preservatives) and on top of that on pesach it's an unofficial chumra we have to not buy processed foods.

I'm going to try to use mashed potatoes in place of potato starch...a friend told me I might be able to make ground chicken meatballs...using eggs and some mashed potato to hold them together...we'll see how it goes!

thanks so much for the recipes everyone =)

The mashed pots work, for the most part. But not so yummy for cakes. You will find that you can cut the pot starch way down in some cake recipes.

Pandabeer

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 6:01 am
We make it every year, use a juicer you will get a lot more out of it than with grated potatoes, but you won't be able to use the potatoes.
Also a good idea to make more and leave it for next year, it takes a long time to really dry and that's when it works best.
Hatlocho

abound

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 6:25 am
chocolate moose wrote:
For a week, we live without potato starch. We make cookies with nuts sugar and eggs

do you have any recipes? Thanks

abound

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 6:26 am
Cookies n Cream wrote:
penguin wrote:

My mother doesn't use cocoa.
She made potato starch for a couple of years but it wasn't worth the hassle and expense.
She does use sugar, but that's what all her cakes are eggs nuts, sugar and homemade lemon juice..

Would you kindly ask your mother for some recipes?
I do not use Potato starch and would love to give my kids some cake using the ingredients above. Thanks
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics