Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
ADHD medications

amother

Post Tue, Mar 19 2013, 1:11 pm
My 11 year old daughter was recently diagnosed with ADHD. She is not hyperactive, for her its more of a focusing issue. She was given a prescription for vyvance but insurance does not cover it. The dr then prescribed aderol. Shes been on it for about a month and her anxiety has gotten worse. Has anyone ever had a side effect like this with their children from this medication?
In the meantime I took her off the drug and in the process of getting an authorization from the dr for vyvance which is not covered by insurance. I am hoping that the insurance will cover it after hearing from the dr that the other meds didnt work (insurance only covers 3 diff meds). Does anyone have experience with this? The medication that I want costs $200 a month!

imasinger

Post Tue, Mar 19 2013, 1:49 pm
Normally the ritalin derivatives are the first things that are tried. There is a reason that they call this stage "medication trials."

If your doctor is not helping you more, you may want a second opinion.

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Mar 19 2013, 1:51 pm
I thought vyvance was an anti-depressant?

amother

Post Tue, Mar 19 2013, 2:00 pm
I take both ritalin and vyvance and I have found that sometimes both can increase my anxiety. But they do help me focus.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Mar 19 2013, 6:00 pm
adderall can increase focus and anxiety.

May I suggest you try ITC Powder from Maxi health, or any other Inositol supplement? It's extremely helpful for focus & concentration.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 20 2013, 7:04 am
OP here.
Actually the first medication the dr recommended was quivellance (ok I know my spelling is way off). Im trying to get that authorized from the dr but its taking forever.
mamabear, Ive waited too long to put her on prescribed meds, shes been struggling with the focusing issue for so long that I dont have time to waste trying out the non prescripted meds.

Anyone use quivellance for their kids or themselves? Are the side effects severe? Accroding to the dr its the best one with the least side effects. I cannot put my daughter on medication that wil make her anxious, no matter how much it may help with her focusing.

imasinger

Post Wed, Mar 20 2013, 7:28 am
Quivillant is a new liquid extended release (all day) version of the same stuff in Ritalin and its friends. It looks helpful for people who can't swallow pills, but my 10 year old DD would vastly rather swallow a pill than drink a liquid. It may be more expensive to insurance companies because it is new.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 20 2013, 10:07 am
OP again.
The insurance company approved quiyvellance! Accroding to the dr its the best one bec apparently it doesnt have the side effects like aderol does. I know my daughters going to give me a hard time about taking the liquid but if its the best one then ill take it! Anyone know how it tastes?

amother

Post Wed, Mar 20 2013, 7:39 pm
bump..anyone have any experience with quivellance?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)