Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
"Returning" phone calls

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Feb 11 2007, 7:05 pm
I have an answering machine and all kinds of ppl leave me messages . . . messages that I can hardly understand and def some that I don't want to return. It's rude, I guess...I mean, no one wants their call ignored.

What do you think?

withhumor

Post Sun, Feb 11 2007, 7:22 pm
I know people who return ‘calls’ just by seeing a number in their caller id. The last time I sued the phone was when I called my daughter’s teacher, a few weeks ago…

shanie5

Post Sun, Feb 11 2007, 10:18 pm
Quote:
The last time I sued the phone

did you win in court or was it settled? LOL LOL

as long as you dont ignore my call it's fine. Wink

Marion

Post Mon, Feb 12 2007, 1:40 am
I only return a call if it's relevant. I won't call back an advertiser, and I won't waste my time with a message that's out of date. (I'm really bad about checking them. I've told people not to leave me a message; better to try me on my cell phone.)

su7kids

Post Mon, Feb 12 2007, 3:24 am
My answering machine says "We may call you back." I'm not making any promises!!!

withhumor

Post Mon, Feb 12 2007, 9:12 am
Our answering machine has a very cute 5 year old saying “we don’t listen to meshitzis, I’m sooooooooooory”

Ooops shani, that was supposed to be ‘used’.

mumoo

Post Mon, Feb 12 2007, 9:37 am
Marion wrote:
I only return a call if it's relevant. I won't call back an advertiser, and I won't waste my time with a message that's out of date. (I'm really bad about checking them. I've told people not to leave me a message; better to try me on my cell phone.)

I tell people who call my cell phone that I won;t listen to the messages here (it costs $), if its important, leave it on the home phone (where I can ignore it if I have to)

Marion

Post Mon, Feb 12 2007, 9:39 am
I didn't say they should leave me a message on my cell (only on one of them does it cost me money to check...I have one for work and one that I pay for); I said they should call me on my cell rather than leave a message at home. They're likely to actually get to talk to me that way. (I'm assuming that if they're calling they WANT to reach me, not my machine.)

greenfire

Post Mon, Feb 12 2007, 10:39 am
I hate phones and do not answer them especially if it says private or unknown - if its a cell # I recognize I answer if it is for me not if it is for my kids they should get it themselves... if it is past 8pm I do not get it at all - cause I am cranky at night and do not like to get into conversations cause I need to unwind so that I could sleep - even if it my sister or best friend - However, on occasion if I think it to be important I will actually answer or see if a message was left and call back at my discretion.

Imaonwheels

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 3:12 am
I have a great thing that my caller ID differentiates between unlisted, which say private number and chutz l'aretz which says Unknown Data Unknown Number. So I know that one is prob dh's family or my nephew's father.

shopaholic

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 10:36 am
If it is a message from a company, I ignore it. If it's a personal call from someone, even not an acquaintence & they leave a message, I most definitely call thm back. They left a message on the machine because they want to be called back. Other times, I see on the caller ID that someone called a few times but don't leave a message so I don't call them back.

Motek

Post Thu, Feb 15 2007, 12:13 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
I have an answering machine and all kinds of ppl leave me messages . . . messages that I can hardly understand and def some that I don't want to return. It's rude, I guess...I mean, no one wants their call ignored.

What do you think?

Why are you obligated to return calls?

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Feb 15 2007, 3:59 pm
I h ve to hand it to MOtek - it seems like a social/sociatial norm to return a call, bu the telephone and answering machine are here to serve me, right?

Motek

Post Thu, Feb 15 2007, 4:31 pm
That's right.

I don't see why you are obligated to call someone just because they called you.

Obviously, you need to use discretion. If it's someone chashuv, it's respectful to return their call.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Feb 15 2007, 4:33 pm
It wouldn't hurt if the person left a detailed message as to what they wanted, either!

mumoo

Post Thu, Feb 15 2007, 6:06 pm
Motek wrote:
That's right.

I don't see why you are obligated to call someone just because they called you.

Obviously, you need to use discretion. If it's someone chashuv, it's respectful to return their call.

who isn't choshuv?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette