Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
POTATOES POTATOES GLORIOUS POTATOES!

checkbefore

Post Thu, Mar 21 2013, 1:58 am
Here are just some creative ways to switch up your potato side dishes this pesach! (or for any day)
http://overtimecook.com/2013/0.....over/

chani8

Post Thu, Mar 21 2013, 6:29 am
We don't eat potatoes. They are very high in carbs, which translates as high in sugar, and as well, they are high in calories. Starchy foods, in general, are unhealthy (potatoes are a starch). One of the first things any naturalpath will tell you is get off the starches.

Also, I read somewhere that when potatoes are fried, it creates a chemical reaction which is actually somewhat toxic, which forces your body to work hard to eliminate those toxins - happens with BBQ'ed foods, too.

So, imo, try to stay away from fried potatoes (and BBQ) and don't feed this stuff to small children.

imasinger

Post Thu, Mar 21 2013, 6:45 am
Wow, Chanie, that is the second time this week that you have posted something with major ramifications for me and my family. ( the first was learning that I didn't have to get rid of everything with vinegar in it).

I looked this up further, and it seems to be reasonably researched;I'm surprised there isn't more buzz about it.

The toxin is called acrylamide, and it is found in foods that are cooked at high temperatures, like foods fried in oil. The browner the food, the more acrylamides it has.

Oy, are my kids gonna be bummed.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Mar 21 2013, 7:43 am
Chani- we are very limited with food as is. I don't think the potatoes this pesach will kill our family. Id rather my kids eat this junky food than complain they're hungry after supper.

Thanks op. I'll check out the link soon.

chani8

Post Thu, Mar 21 2013, 7:50 am
I don't know whether to say, "great!" or "sorry" . . .

How about "grorry"?

I can just tell you that I used to get physically sick after a BBQ or Potato Chips and never knew why. Bisili or flavored chips is another (awful) one - add fried with MSG and watch out!

flowerpower

Post Thu, Mar 21 2013, 8:00 am
I am Health conscious so msg never enters our house and frying isn't always always our first option. But we do use potatoes.

checkbefore

Post Thu, Mar 21 2013, 1:28 pm
We eat tons of potatoes pesach because we are limited. Also there are recipes for potatoes here that are not fried. I'm sure many of us potato hocking people will stay away from carbs once we start our post pesach diets....

Chocoholic

Post Thu, Mar 21 2013, 2:31 pm
nOTHING BEATS MY BELOVED POTATO.

FRIED, BAKED, COOKED, DEEP FRIED...

YUM YUM YUM
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics