Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
How do you make overnight kugel?
1  2  Next

MOM222

Post Sun, Aug 14 2005, 6:09 am
Does anyone know how to make overnight kugal - preferably not in the oven.

willow

Post Sun, Aug 14 2005, 2:07 pm
I put a potato kugal in my cholent. In the morning it smells and taste so good. The only down side is that it is not as firm as regular potato kugal. I

abc123

Post Wed, Jun 14 2006, 9:28 pm
I have heard there is a way to bake kugel overnight leaving the oven on really low. Has anyone else heard of this and might know the particular temperatures for the amount of hours you leave it in???

cindy324

Post Wed, Jun 14 2006, 9:58 pm
I know take out stores make overnight potato kugel...but I myself have never done it. I would ask someone at one of the take out places, I would imagine you'd have to leave the oven on like 200 degrees.

realeez

Post Wed, Jun 14 2006, 10:18 pm
hey we have similar screen names, lol!

I didn't make this yet but my friend did and loves it - it's her mother's recipe.

Overnight Potato Kugel

10 potatoes, grated
1 onion, minced
7 eggs
1 tbsp. salt
3 shakes of pepper
Garlic powder
¾ cup oil, heated
¾ cup boiling water

Heat oil in a 9 by 13 pan. Mix remaining ingredients. Bake at 500 for 40 minutes. Reduce to 400 for 40 minutes. Cover and bake at 225 overnight (or 5 hours).

abc123

Post Thu, Jun 15 2006, 12:28 am
Thanks mommyabc123!!! I've printed that to keep on hand...(but whose night lasts only 5 hours???...lol!!)
However I think there is a recipe in one of the heimishe cookbooks that has different temperatures if you're going to leave it in for longer or shorter. If anyone has seen it please let me know....

imaamy

Post Thu, Jun 15 2006, 1:00 am
Just curious why would you want to leave it in overnight? Having the oven on that long uses lots of power.

abc123

Post Thu, Jun 15 2006, 1:08 am
I want to be able to get all my cooking out of the way on Thurs. Because I like to have the kugel fresh when hubby comes home at 3pm on Fri. I usually mess up my kitchen again at about 1.30. Unless anyone has any tips on perhaps freezing or refrigerating kugel raw???? The overnight thing was something I heard somewhere which I thought might be able to solve this prob.

imaamy

Post Thu, Jun 15 2006, 1:13 am
I used to have problems with the raw potatoes turning brown. A chef told me to parboil the potatoes first and that stops the browning. I tried it and it works but I boiled too long and they were mushy.

yersp

Post Thu, Jan 25 2007, 12:20 pm
I started to make overnight kugel and I'm having one problem with it. The edges around and around come out rubbery and hard and I have a hard time cutting through but the center is good.
In case any of you aren't sure what overnight kugel is, it's the regular potato kugel just baked covered overnight at 250 degrees.
I would appreciate it if anyone would help me with any suggestions.
Thanks!!

MOM222

Post Thu, Jan 25 2007, 4:39 pm
Do you place a pan with water under the kugal?

Twizzlers

Post Thu, Jan 25 2007, 4:41 pm
u have to make it in a disposable silverfoil pan. I tried it in a pyrex dish, and the edges and bottom got all rubbery - impossible to cut.
to save $$, I bought a disposable heavy duty silverfoil pan and toiveled it. when I make kugel, I first line this with wax paper so the pan stays somewhat clean and then I can reuse it many times.
pm me if u need more advice; in my family I'm known as the overnite kugel queen!

Twizzlers

Post Thu, Jan 25 2007, 4:55 pm
make a regular potato kugel recipe (pm me if u need one)

cook it on 400 uncovered for an hour to an hour and a half (doesnt have to be exact)

then take it out, cover it, and put it back in the oven on 200-250 OVERNITE

as long as its covered and on very low, u can let it go as long as u want, it cant go wrong!

ENJOY!

MOM222

Post Thu, Jan 25 2007, 4:59 pm
Thanks. I do it the same but I add a pan of hot water on the lower rack.

I once tasted an amazing potato kugal that was very high and crispy all around. I am still trying to duplicate that.

yersp

Post Thu, Jan 25 2007, 9:27 pm
I do everything that all of you do. However, I keep it covered from beginning to end. A pan of water, kugel is in a foil pan, and I bake it on 500 for an hour then just reduce the temperature to 250. So why is it always so rubbery? Maybe I should uncover it as soon as I take it out of the oven?
Thanks for your help!! I just put the kugel in the oven now. Can't wait to eat it tomorrow!!

ShiraMiri

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 5:48 pm
Basically, my husband said I couldn't keep the kugel in the oven overnight on shabbos. The only way I could do it would be to bake it before Shabbos, put it in foil and into the crockpot with the cholent. Has anyone tried it this way and had it come out good?

greenfire

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 5:52 pm
It's been done a thousand times & potatoe kugel is always good - enjoy!

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 8:03 pm
The only O.N. kugelers I know make it Thur night for Friday.

P.S. Leftover kugel even frozen is also good for the cholent.

Dini

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 10:43 pm
I bake my kugel on 450 for an hour and then cover it and lower the temp to 300 and let it bake till shabos -bout three hours and its almost like overnite kugel especially when I reheat it on sunday and also on friday nite b4 I take the kugel off the hotplate I add some kugel to the cholent and it tastes great

Emuna

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 10:45 pm
How could it cook at 450 for an hour? Wouldn't it burn at that temperature for so long?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes