Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Video - Benny Friedman - Yesh Tikvah
1  2  Next

mirror

Post Sun, Mar 31 2013, 6:45 pm

chani8

Post Mon, Apr 01 2013, 5:30 pm
Thumbs Up Dancing Music Hooray Applause

There were 3 Queen in this video!!!

And did I see a couple of colored kippahs?

Yesh Tikva!! Sunny Flower

Liba

Post Mon, Apr 01 2013, 6:16 pm
Get rid of what sounds like the beginning of air raid sirens from it and I could enjoy it... As it stands, not cool.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 01 2013, 10:22 pm
Air raid sirens are the whole point of the video, hello! look a bit deeper and you'll get it instead of always trying to be comfortable.

Liba

Post Tue, Apr 02 2013, 2:32 am
I don't think anyone should "get it" and purposefully play air raid sirens in their living room. The feeling of panic that the sound causes is for a reason. The rapid heart beat that comes with hearing the sound is a normal physiological response.

"Getting it" won't change that.

I don't like causing panic attacks in my house.

I don't see how anyone who has lived through a war here and had air raid sirens and bombs landing nearby could tell me I need to "get it". The whole concept of causing panic, which is what the sound of an air raid siren was developed to cause, for the sake of a song is pretty sick.

chani8

Post Tue, Apr 02 2013, 2:48 am
There was a siren? You mean that half siren sound in the middle of the song? I didn't even get it that it was supposed to be a siren.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 02 2013, 3:15 pm
I also lived through the war and the sirens.

You hit the nail on the head with your reaction to Jewish music. Most of it is pretty shallow and numbing.

You can take the the siren as a "panic attack" or you can use music to bring you to teshuva, elevate fears, etc...

On a separate note, a lot of people relate to the song because they did go through the war, hearing missile sirens going off all night, etc... and the eventual of message of hope from Hashem.

Its hard to bring out meaning like that if you have sound effects from A small world, whatever.

Liba

Post Tue, Apr 02 2013, 4:05 pm
amother, I didn't say that you shouldn't appreciate it and get chizzuk from it. I just said that it wasn't the right song for *my* house.

I have kids who were on their way to our reinforced room this erev Shabbos. Usually the "siren" is music, but because of sfira it was a siren out of no where and they were moving in the right direction before they heard enough of it to realize it wasn't an air raid siren B"H.

I don't want to desensitize them to actual sirens. I need them to react. We aren't out of danger. Sadly missiles are still landing in the south and we are still within range chv"sh.

If they get used to "sirens" being okay, just part of the song, and it takes an extra 10 seconds for them to react... I don't even want to think about it.

We have constant reminders in my neighborhood, in the form of small children missing their mother, their serenity and their fingers, of what missiles do. We take missiles, and the warning sirens, seriously.

We should all be well and safe!

You get your chizzuk from where ever you would like, but without editing this song it won't be giving us chizzuk right now.

B"H We have tehillim and Kever Rochel.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 4:47 pm
Benny is my younger brother, hence the amother posting, and he has actually commented on this issue, I will try to find a quote for you, but he does say he did not realize the effect the partial siren sound would have on people living with the constant threat of missile attacks. The song was written by an Israeli citizen at Benny's request for a song with the message of hope and became such a huge hit before comments and complaints started coming back to him about the siren. We actually grew up in tornado alley and the siren still brings a few seconds of panic even though I've been out of that area for nearly 20 years, so he has a tiny bit of understanding what kind of fear that can cause. There's not much he can do about it now except be aware of these kinds of things for the future.

Liba

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 5:13 pm
So you "whatever" ed me and belittled my feelings as amother and now are saying it is because you are sisters with the singer and I am one of many who feels the same way. Your brother understands and won't do it again?

Whatever.

I find your posts rude and disingenuous.

Cookies n Cream

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 5:19 pm
Liba wrote:
So you "whatever" ed me and belittled my feelings as amother and now are saying it is because you are sisters with the singer and I am one of many who feels the same way. Your brother understands and won't do it again?

Whatever.

I find your posts rude and disingenuous.

I thought her post sounded apologetic and she said her brother realizes now that it was an issue.
Why do you think it's rude?

Liba

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 5:31 pm
I don't read it as he suddenly realizes now and it was a new concept yesterday. He has commented on the issue. Commented = in the past, not since the thread started yesterday. Based on what she just wrote, his sister knows that it was hard for others to hear as well.

Yet she needed to post anonymously yesterday (while not admitting to being his sister) just to attack me and belittle my feelings. Now coming back saying my feels are shared by many, that he won't do it again and has commented on it, well that is nice, but it wasn't an apology. If it were her first post it would have actually been helpful and nice to read.

At this point?

Whatever.

Cookies n Cream

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 5:33 pm
Liba wrote:
I don't read it as he suddenly realizes now and it was a new concept yesterday. He has commented on the issue. Commented = in the past, not since the thread started yesterday. Based on what she just wrote, his sister knows that it was hard for others to hear as well.

Yet she needed to post anonymously yesterday (while not admitting to being his sister) just to attack me and belittle my feelings. Now coming back saying my feels are shared by many, that he won't do it again and has commented on it, well that is nice, but it wasn't an apology. If it were her first post it would have actually been helpful and nice to read.

At this point?

Whatever.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize that she was the first amother as well.

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 5:33 pm
The song has a good message. I'm really not wild about the synthesizer and the electronic effects. I don't understand why the English is not a proper translation of the Hebrew words (for example why does "Yesh lanu Hashem Echad" translate to "He is with us night and day"? And why is "pachad" translated to "terror"?).

I also don't understand why Times Square was chosen as the background to the first part of the video.

I didn't notice the air raid siren. Just sounded like awful electronic effects.

Cookies n Cream

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 5:34 pm
I'm rereading the thread, it doesn't sound like the amothers are the same poster.

Liba

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 5:36 pm
Oh golly, I thought she was explaining why she had been posting as amother all along. If it is a new "amother" and I just made the wrong assumption I am really sorry!

chocolate chips

Post Thu, Apr 04 2013, 11:47 am
I would not have noticed the siren if it was not mentioned but again that is because B"H I have no 'experience' with it but I can understand why it would affect people who do.
I have often listened to songs that sound similar to my cell phone ring tone and run to check my phone, not once but like 25 times. No comparison but I do understand why a sound in a song will awaken peoples senses.

That said, I love this song but also do not understand the new york background. It kinda takes away from the words. I loved the Israel backdrop much more.

amother

Post Fri, Apr 05 2013, 11:19 am
Liba, I am the amother who is Benny's sister, I am not any of the other amothers here, I hardly ever post to Imamother, especially not anonymously because I usually find it cowardly. However, I do want to keep my anonymity by being able to post under my screen name and to "out" myself as his sister under it would ruin that for me. I dunno why it didn't occur to me that you would think we were the same poster! I will clarify though, that at the same time that this song was becoming popular, Benny was starting to get messages and comments about the siren, but by then, what could he already do? It really is a shame that such a beautiful song with such a timely message is so hard for so many people to listen to. I'll sign my name with this Music

Liba

Post Sat, Apr 06 2013, 2:50 pm
Smile Benny sister I appreciate your posts. I totally hear that it can't be changed. Maybe one year, much success, and several albums from now he can do a second version.

ChossidMom

Post Sat, Apr 06 2013, 5:37 pm
BTW when I saw the clip I thought that he sounded a bit like Avraham Fried and today I read in Mishpacha that he is his nephew! Cute!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics