Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
What can I save for next year?
1  2  3  Next

seeker

Post Tue, Apr 02 2013, 11:20 pm
What opened packages will be OK for next year? It was my first year making Pesach at home and we ended up using quite little of everything. No deep freezer here, the best I can do is ziploc bags. Potato starch? Vinegar? Vanilla sugar? Things I use during the year I think I'll just keep out but I really don't have any interest in fake vinegar or potato starch now...

I was about to say next year I'll buy less, but I'm sure the same thing will happen because I'll still be afraid that if I buy less we'll run out of something important. I didn't really buy many extras, and most of this stuff was just one package but the packages they sell are big!

September June

Post Tue, Apr 02 2013, 11:25 pm
I save potato starch, vanilla sugar and vinegar. Just cover the openings with foil and recap.

I save lots of other things too (oil, chocolate chips etc.)

MyKidsRQte

Post Tue, Apr 02 2013, 11:27 pm
I do keep the potato starch

seeker

Post Tue, Apr 02 2013, 11:29 pm
chocolate chips and oil will be ok? I freeze chocolate chips even during the year. How is oil going to last that long??? Esp already open? I'd love to save the safflower oil, the stuff was a bit pricey and I have half the bottle left and no need to use it now.

seeker

Post Tue, Apr 02 2013, 11:30 pm
Wow, who would have thunk? http://www.stilltasty.com/food.....17805
I was going to use a top shelf in my kitchen to stash the pesach stuff but maybe I can find someplace cooler.

kakky

Post Tue, Apr 02 2013, 11:30 pm
I save my spices and every few years change the lot. This year I bought new and but away in ziploc bag, paprika, black pepper, granulated garlic, etc.

September June

Post Tue, Apr 02 2013, 11:42 pm
Pesach oil can last 2 years.
Do NOT freeze chocolate chips ever (it can ruin the chocolate). But, yeah, I've saved mine for at least 2 years. No problems whatsoever.

I save cocoa and boking powder also.

seeker

Post Tue, Apr 02 2013, 11:56 pm
What about olive oil? I have a couple of cans of spray olive oil that don't seem to have any date. Sugar should be fine, right? The open one I think I'll just use, but I have a spare that I could mark down as one more thing not to have to shop for next year. IF I can find space for all this stuff. Grr. That'll teach me to buy "economy size" for a family of 4 :p

Imamother... the big sister I always wanted Wink

September June

Post Tue, Apr 02 2013, 11:58 pm
I never saved sugar (I usually buy Dominos which is KFP all year round) but it should be fine. The olive oil spray should be fine (I saved one from last year, it was good this year). Regular olive oil I would not save.

LMK if you have any question about other things that need saving.

BeershevaBubby

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 12:01 am
kakky wrote:
I save my spices and every few years change the lot. This year I bought new and but away in ziploc bag, paprika, black pepper, granulated garlic, etc.

Spices lose their potency rather fast. It's not worthwhile to put away year to year.

seeker

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 12:05 am
SeptJune, thanks for all your advice. I was going to go on using the olive oil anyway, it's something I use all the time and it wasn't any more expensive than usual.

Yesha, that is not good news, the KFP spices I bought on sale in Brooklyn are big enough to last me probably around 3 years even if I use them all year! And the ones I usually use are not KFP so I'd have to re-buy. Sigh. Maybe they'll be on sale again next year...

September June

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 12:06 am
Seeker freeze the spices in the back of your freezer. They should be okay. Even if they do lose some potency, they should still be good by next year.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 12:08 am
Baking powder should never go past expiration date. People don't realize have important fresh baking powder is for a cake. If the baking powder is old the whole cake won't rise. Rather use it now during the year or split with a friend next year.

September June

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 12:10 am
amother wrote:
Baking powder should never go past expiration date. People don't realize have important fresh baking powder is for a cake. If the baking powder is old the whole cake won't rise. Rather use it now during the year or split with a friend next year.

I've used baking powder past the date and my cakes rise just fine. On Pesach, baking powder isn't really used in cake anyway. (Why are you amother? You can answer anon if you want or not at all, I'm just curious.)

seeker

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 12:11 am
Dang, I didn't even end up opening my baking powder! Only made one cake and the recipe didn't need any. Anyone want a full can of Jewish baking powder? I have plenty left of my chometz one, too, which has probably lasted about a year already. I think it's the second one I ever bought.

September June

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 12:12 am
Seeker, I've reused my KFP baking powder for more than 2 years and have yet to have any problems with any of the baked goods I used it in.

imasinger

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 12:20 am
My klp baking powder just got finished up this year. It lasted for 5 years without any problem.

The research I have done says not to ever freeze spices, but to store them in airtight containers in the dark, and they can stay potent for up to 3 years. Make sure your storage space will not be too hot in the summer. Use your nose next year, but try it is my advice.

I shelve spices in ziplocks, cocoa powder, confectioner's sugar, vanilla (in ziplock), balsamic and wine vinegars, coffee, and tea ( in ziplocks). I freeze (double bagged) butter, margarine, potato starch, matza meal and cake meal (only applicable for those who broch. I buy it right after pesach at 1/3 price and freeze for next year), and some nuts.

granolamom

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 12:28 am
I save spices (ziplocks in the freezer) and unopened potato starch. you can save vinegar, I would not save the oils. or the chocolate. old chocolate tastes gross to me. I would absolutely NOT save the matzo meal. a rov once told me not to buy KLP matzo meal after the summer because it is more likely to have bugs since its old. having once spotted bugs floating in my pot of boiling kneidlach, let me tell you that is not an experience I want to ever repeat.
as far as baking powder, I use it during the year. KLP baking powder often has no aluminum in it, so when I run out of my alum. free from trader joes, I break into my pesach supply. (trader joes stocks theirs only around thanksgiving).
I wouldn't save sugar either, unless in a freezer

September June

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 12:40 am
If you're saving matza meal, freeze it. There can be bugs.

Oils are only good for 2 years (the best buy date is 1 1/2 after it is produced usually).

Rumsford make great Aluminum free baking powder for year round. It isn't expensive either. Non-GMO too!

RachelB

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 2:33 am
I save certain spices (not all, starch and matzo meal) - sealed, double bagged,in a freezer - I have an upright freezer and save a Pesach draw in it.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics