Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Starting solids - least constipating foods

wife2

Post Sat, Apr 13 2013, 9:57 pm
my 6.5 month recently started solids. I started with oatmeal since I heard it was less constipating than rice cereal. I so far gave her sweet potatoes, carrots, and squash. I saw that she was pushing/grunting a lot and only a small amount would come out. are fruits less constipating than vegetables? what foods are good to give that are least constipating? also, what juice is best? prune, apple, or pear?

granolamom

Post Sat, Apr 13 2013, 10:04 pm
personally, I dont start with grains.
if you think she's a bit constipated due to the solids, I would try pears next. and maybe less solids overall until her system gets used to it.
I would hold off on juice altogether unless she is so constipated that she is in real pain and unable to go for a few days. in which case I would give a bit of prune juice. but before you add juice, decrease the solids and increase the breastmilk/formula and maybe water.

mom2be1

Post Sat, Apr 13 2013, 10:07 pm
Try to give pears instead of apples- try prune juice diluted but if she won't take that try pear juice( gerber makes it)

amother

Post Sat, Apr 13 2013, 11:14 pm
buy BARLEY cerael - it does the job waaay more than oatmeal. Mix it with a baby jar of pears - within a few weeks you might have the opposite problem. I even mix pears with carrots as I don't think that carrots are so filling and pears works wonders for constipation.

a1mom

Post Sat, Apr 13 2013, 11:23 pm
carrots can constipate as do banana's and apples
better choices are pears, zucchini, avocado, fyi my MD recommends starting with veggies and chicken and only start grains later... you can sprinkle some metamucil on the oatmeal if the constipation is a real problem, your baby will strain in the beginning because he/she is learning how to use those muscles for solid BM's.. hatzlacha

RachelEve14

Post Sun, Apr 14 2013, 2:52 am
I agree I would give pears, and also back off the grains and go with more chicken, etc.

smss

Post Sun, Apr 14 2013, 2:59 am
right, pears are very good. stay away from bananas. they are extreeeemely constipating.

wife2

Post Sun, Apr 14 2013, 3:21 pm
I was planning to give oatmeal in the morning, then a jar of fruit/veggie, then a little bit of oatmeal in the evening again. now that I see I should cut out grains, do you replace it with another jar? otherwise she will be hungry - formula doesnt fill her up enough. do you give 2 different fruits/vegetables a day or 2 of the same?

thanks

granolamom

Post Sun, Apr 14 2013, 10:39 pm
What does you ped say? I thought that for the first year, breast milk or formula should be the mainstay of the baby's diet. If formula isn't enough maybe she needs more formula.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 14 2013, 10:43 pm
definitely make sure she has enough breastmilk/formula.

avocado is great for constipation in babies.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics