Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Hasidic Judaism National Geographic Documentary
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

Maya

Post Mon, Apr 15 2013, 10:17 pm
amother wrote:
Maya wrote:
I'm sorry for saying this, but this conversation between all the amothers is only proving how shallow and uneducated Satmar women are.

I'm allowed to say it because I'm also one of you, but at least I have the sechel to avoid publicizing it the way you are doing right now. Stop the childish bickering already, for Gdsake. And learn some grammar and writing skills.

I never said otherwise. I dont think of myself as a smart, educated woman at all nor do I pretend that I am one. Ironically, I am gettin my degree (in a real, secular college) where I have to study for exams (man they are hard) and write papers (which is even harder) for all my classes. I spend a lot of time on them and work so hard that when I come on imamother I have no real patience to write correctly so I just dont bother doing so.

P.S. I wouldnt be struggling so much had I gotten a real education in satmar. In fact, I have such a good/high gpa that I know that I could have been accepted to a school like Harvard had I come from a regular background. such a chaval Sad

In this one same post, you're attempting to say how uneducated and not smart you are while also bragging about your brains and how well you are doing getting an education. A bit contradictory, don't you think?

And P.S. I also attend college and actually DO find the time to write well-written paragraphs when I post on Imamother. You make it sound like it's a massive effort to capitalize the first word of every sentence, and to press down on three additional letters on the keyboard to form complete words.

But now I've entered into the same childish bickering that I have accused you of doing, so I'm done here now.

Cookies n Cream

Post Mon, Apr 15 2013, 10:20 pm
amother wrote:
Cookies n Cream wrote:
amother wrote:
Maya wrote:
I'm sorry for saying this, but this conversation between all the amothers is only proving how shallow and uneducated Satmar women are.

I'm allowed to say it because I'm also one of you, but at least I have the sechel to avoid publicizing it the way you are doing right now. Stop the childish bickering already, for Gdsake. And learn some grammar and writing skills.

I never said otherwise. I dont think of myself as a smart, educated woman at all nor do I pretend that I am one. Ironically, I am gettin my degree (in a real, secular college) where I have to study for exams (man they are hard) and write papers (which is even harder) for all my classes. I spend a lot of time on them and work so hard that when I come on imamother I have no real patience to write correctly so I just dont bother doing so.

P.S. I wouldnt be struggling so much had I gotten a real education in satmar. In fact, I have such a good/high gpa that I know that I could have been accepted to a school like Harvard had I come from a regular background. such a chaval Sad

Are you serious?

dead serious. why do you ask if I am serious?

btw, when I went to apply to my school they told me that my (satmar) high school diploma is worthless and I had to get a ged. thats after four years of being in high school. so yes, I was serious about what I said.

Because just having a good GPA is not going to get you into Harvard, having a good GPA from specific colleges may get you into Harvard,
I highly doubt that you attend one of those colleges, with the education that you claim to lack.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 15 2013, 10:24 pm
Maya wrote:
amother wrote:
Maya wrote:

In this one same post, you're attempting to say how uneducated and not smart you are while also bragging about your brains and how well you are doing getting an education. A bit contradictory, don't you think?

And P.S. I also attend college and actually DO find the time to write well-written paragraphs when I post on Imamother. You make it sound like it's a massive effort to capitalize the first word of every sentence, and to press down on three additional letters on the keyboard to form complete words.

But now I've entered into the same childish bickering that I have accused you of doing, so I'm done here now.

yup, I work hard for my grades but it doesnt nec make me a smart, educated woman. I need way more schooling for that and have a ton of things to catch up on since I missed out on so much by not learning it in high school. for example, I had to write about Shakespear and take spanish classes and whatnot. the rest of my class already knew all of it from high school--I was the only idiot asking questions Sad
I am also working on a tablet computer which makes it complicated to type properly and capatilize stuff so I just dont bother half the time.

Maya

Post Mon, Apr 15 2013, 10:25 pm
Are you not sure what the definition of educated is?

And is it possible that your struggling to get good grades has only a bit to do with your lack of high school education?

Last edited by Maya on Mon, Apr 15 2013, 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Mon, Apr 15 2013, 10:27 pm
Cookies n Cream wrote:
amother wrote:
Cookies n Cream wrote:
amother wrote:
Maya wrote:

Are you serious?

dead serious. why do you ask if I am serious?

btw, when I went to apply to my school they told me that my (satmar) high school diploma is worthless and I had to get a ged. thats after four years of being in high school. so yes, I was serious about what I said.

Because just having a good GPA is not going to get you into Harvard, having a good GPA from specific colleges may get you into Harvard,
I highly doubt that you attend one of those colleges, with the education that you claim to lack.

It sounds like you dont even know how these things work. I'm not really sure what you're trying to say but you need to have an excellent gpa in HIGH SCHOOL (which I never had since there is no such thing in satmar) to get into a college like Harvard.

Cookies n Cream

Post Mon, Apr 15 2013, 10:30 pm
Your high school GPA has no effect, as Harvard(or any graduate school) will only ask for your undergraduate transcripts.

ETA: So in essence you are contradicting yourself with the post on top of this one and the one stating that if you would have gone to a better HS, you would have had the education to get into Harvard.
What does one have to do with the other?

Last edited by Cookies n Cream on Mon, Apr 15 2013, 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Mon, Apr 15 2013, 10:32 pm
Cookies n Cream wrote:
Your high school GPA has no effect, as Harvard(or any graduate school) will only ask for your undergraduate transcripts.

I am talking about college right now. I havent even started thinking about grad school.

Cookies n Cream

Post Mon, Apr 15 2013, 10:36 pm
"P.S. I wouldnt be struggling so much had I gotten a real education in satmar. In fact, I have such a good/high gpa that I know that I could have been accepted to a school like Harvard had I come from a regular background. such a chaval "

This doesn't really make sense, but I am not going to argue with you.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 15 2013, 10:37 pm
Maya wrote:
Are you not sure what the definition of educated is?

And is it possible that your struggling to get good grades has only a bit to do with your lack of high school education?

when I talk to people who are younger than me (and even those my age or older) and I have no clue what they are even saying then yeah I feel uneducated even with the amount of college classes I've already taken.

and my struggle with college has everything to do with my background and the school I went to---sure I was able to read books but we never really analyzed them or wrote any papers about them so that was a whole new experience for me. and studying shakespeare, spanish, doing experiments in bio lab (I dissected a pig and whatnot) etc where all new experiences for me that most of my classmates already did in high school (to some extent) so yes, my background put me at a huge disadvantage.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 15 2013, 10:41 pm
Cookies n Cream wrote:
"P.S. I wouldnt be struggling so much had I gotten a real education in satmar. In fact, I have such a good/high gpa that I know that I could have been accepted to a school like Harvard had I come from a regular background. such a chaval "

ok, let me clarify what I am trying to say. I have a good/high gpa in college right now. which essentially means that I would have had a good/high gpa in high school (had they even offered something like that) which would have enabled me to go to Harvard for college.

Maya

Post Mon, Apr 15 2013, 10:43 pm
Now that you DO have the GPA needed for Harvard, why don't you apply now and continue your classes there?

Cookies n Cream

Post Mon, Apr 15 2013, 10:46 pm
amother wrote:
Cookies n Cream wrote:

ok, let me clarify what I am trying to say. I have a good/high gpa in college right now. which essentially means that I would have had a good/high gpa in high school (had they even offered something like that) which would have enabled me to go to Harvard for college.

Absolutely untrue.
1) I did not at all have a good high school GPA, and my college GPA is almost perfect.
2) Having a good GPA in Bais Yaakov or Pupa or any other local HS that takes regents is not the same as having a good GPA from a "better" school (think private upper class neighborhood school etc..)
They don't even look at your GPA, they look at your SAT/ACT marks.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 15 2013, 10:52 pm
Cookies n Cream wrote:
amother wrote:
Cookies n Cream wrote:

Absolutely untrue.
1) I did not at all have a good high school GPA, and my college GPA is almost perfect.
2) Having a good GPA in Bais Yaakov or Pupa or any other local HS that takes regents is not the same as having a good GPA from a "better" school (think private upper class neighborhood school etc..)
They don't even look at your GPA, they look at your SAT/ACT marks.

oh, so you're in a regular secular college? then you know better than I do how these things work. all I know is that they told me to get a ged since my high school dimploma was worthless as it wasnt a regents diploma (I never took sat's or act's so I cant comment on that).
I also never had a high school gpa so I am not sure if it would have been better or worse than the one I have in college.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 15 2013, 10:54 pm
Maya wrote:
Now that you DO have the GPA needed for Harvard, why don't you apply now and continue your classes there?

not worth it right now as I am in a good program that I am happy with. besides, Harvard is prob 10 times harder than the college I'm in now so I would be struggling even harder if thats the case. no thanks, I'm good.

Cookies n Cream

Post Mon, Apr 15 2013, 10:55 pm
High school GPA, is just adding every single mark that was on every report card that you ever had in HS, and figuring the average on a scale of 4.0..
If you don't have a HS diploma, you need a GED.
SATs and ACTs are universal exams that test you on math reading and writing...

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Apr 15 2013, 10:57 pm
Um, yeah. Look, amother, getting into Harvard isn't about getting good grades. Everyone who applies has a near perfect GPA. Big deal. They still only accept 5.8% of all applicants. Having a perfect GPA doesn't guarantee acceptance anywhere, in fact. My undergraduate GPA was near perfect and I was still wait listed for grad school at a state school.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 15 2013, 11:00 pm
Cookies n Cream wrote:
High school GPA, is just adding every single mark that was on every report card that you ever had in HS, and figuring the average on a scale of 4.0..
If you don't have a HS diploma, you need a GED.
SATs and ACTs are universal exams that test you on math reading and writing...

Thats the point. I have a high school diploma (from satmar) but my college did not accept it and told me to get a GED.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 15 2013, 11:01 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
Um, yeah. Look, amother, getting into Harvard isn't about getting good grades. Everyone who applies has a near perfect GPA. Big deal. They still only accept 5.8% of all applicants. Having a perfect GPA doesn't guarantee acceptance anywhere, in fact. My undergraduate GPA was near perfect and I was still wait listed for grad school at a state school.

thanks. and yeah, I've heard horror stories of people not getting into grad schools so I dont look forward to that Sad

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Apr 15 2013, 11:04 pm
amother wrote:
MaBelleVie wrote:

thanks. and yeah, I've heard horror stories of people not getting into grad schools so I dont look forward to that Sad

It wasn't a horror story at all. I was wait listed (and eventually accepted) at that school, but I applied to several others where I was accepted. Including an ivy. You should just be aware that GPA is not a free pass anywhere. They look at a complete picture.

Cookies n Cream

Post Mon, Apr 15 2013, 11:06 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
amother wrote:
MaBelleVie wrote:

It wasn't a horror story at all. I was wait listed (and eventually accepted) at that school, but I applied to several others where I was accepted. Including an ivy. You should just be aware that GPA is not a free pass anywhere. They look at a complete picture.

Yes, this is my point.
Also, not all GPAs are created equal. As I said, a perfect GPA from a Brooklyn school, is not the same as a perfect GPA from other places.
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics