Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Hasidic Judaism National Geographic Documentary
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother

Post Mon, Apr 15 2013, 11:10 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
amother wrote:
MaBelleVie wrote:
Um, yeah. Look, amother, getting into Harvard isn't about getting good grades. Everyone who applies has a near perfect GPA. Big deal. They still only accept 5.8% of all applicants. Having a perfect GPA doesn't guarantee acceptance anywhere, in fact. My undergraduate GPA was near perfect and I was still wait listed for grad school at a state school.

thanks. and yeah, I've heard horror stories of people not getting into grad schools so I dont look forward to that Sad

It wasn't a horror story at all. I was wait listed (and eventually accepted) at that school, but I applied to several others where I was accepted. Including an ivy. You should just be aware that GPA is not a free pass anywhere. They look at a complete picture.

thanks. I've been told that repeatedly by multiple professors and have taken the nec steps to ensure that I am well rounded enough for any grad school (ok, I hope) Smile but then again, I have an excellent story to tell so which school wouldnt want me? lol ("From satmar to harvard" coming soon to a bookstore near you!) Ha! (at least I got a sense of humor about it!!) Exploding anger

Cookies n Cream

Post Mon, Apr 15 2013, 11:13 pm
amother wrote:
MaBelleVie wrote:
amother wrote:
MaBelleVie wrote:
Um, yeah. Look, amother, getting into Harvard isn't about getting good grades. Everyone who applies has a near perfect GPA. Big deal. They still only accept 5.8% of all applicants. Having a perfect GPA doesn't guarantee acceptance anywhere, in fact. My undergraduate GPA was near perfect and I was still wait listed for grad school at a state school.

thanks. and yeah, I've heard horror stories of people not getting into grad schools so I dont look forward to that Sad

It wasn't a horror story at all. I was wait listed (and eventually accepted) at that school, but I applied to several others where I was accepted. Including an ivy. You should just be aware that GPA is not a free pass anywhere. They look at a complete picture.

thanks. I've been told that repeatedly by multiple professors and have taken the nec steps to ensure that I am well rounded enough for any grad school (ok, I hope) Smile but then again, I have an excellent story to tell so which school wouldnt want me? lol ("From satmar to harvard" coming soon to a bookstore near you!) Ha! (at least I got a sense of humor about it!!) Exploding anger

You have a point there, certain graduate programs are looking for the atypical student.
Can I ask what you are majoring in?

amother

Post Mon, Apr 15 2013, 11:18 pm
Cookies n Cream wrote:
MaBelleVie wrote:
amother wrote:
MaBelleVie wrote:

Yes, this is my point.
Also, not all GPAs are created equal. As I said, a perfect GPA from a Brooklyn school, is not the same as a perfect GPA from other places.

and my point is, that if you attend satmar (or have a daughter in satmar) then its best for her to get the GED instead of spending four years there for a useless, worthless diploma that wont get you accepted anywhere. and a ged is much cheaper than tuition so it will save you lots of money altogether.

Cookies n Cream

Post Mon, Apr 15 2013, 11:19 pm
So she should get the GED when she's 14, and then not go to HS?

amother

Post Mon, Apr 15 2013, 11:25 pm
Cookies n Cream wrote:

I think you need to wait til your 16 to get a ged. (which is also the age where you are no longer mandated by law to attend high school altogether). they may make exceptions though and allow you to take it earlier but you need to check out what the law is in regards to that.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 15 2013, 11:27 pm
Cookies n Cream wrote:
amother wrote:
MaBelleVie wrote:
amother wrote:
MaBelleVie wrote:

You have a point there, certain graduate programs are looking for the atypical student.
Can I ask what you are majoring in?

havent decided on a major yet.

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Apr 15 2013, 11:29 pm
amother wrote:
MaBelleVie wrote:
amother wrote:
MaBelleVie wrote:

I know you're partly joking, but don't bank on your story. While it will show strength of character, that's only a small part of what they're seeking.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 15 2013, 11:32 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
I know you're partly joking, but don't bank on your story. While it will show strength of character, that's only a small part of what they're seeking.

yup, which is exactly why I work my butt off to maintain my grades (and do other things as well to "make me look good") so dont yell at me for not writing perfect sentences when I come on imamother to relax.

Maya

Post Mon, Apr 15 2013, 11:35 pm
Are you trying for a repeat of Deborah Feldman? "From Satmar to Sarah Lawrence."

Ftr, as I have mentioned here numerous times, my Satmar diploma was accepted and I did not need a GED. Satmar Williamsburg school is accredited. Are you from another Satmar?

Maya

Post Mon, Apr 15 2013, 11:36 pm
amother wrote:
MaBelleVie wrote:

yup, which is exactly why I work my butt off to maintain my grades (and do other things as well to "make me look good") so dont yell at me for not writing perfect sentences when I come on imamother to relax.

I fail to see how writing with bad grammar and language skills is "relaxing," but to each their own.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 15 2013, 11:39 pm
Maya wrote:
Are you trying for a repeat of Deborah Feldman? "From Satmar to Sarah Lawrence."

Ftr, as I have mentioned here numerous times, my Satmar diploma was accepted and I did not need a GED. Satmar Williamsburg school is accredited. Are you from another Satmar?

yes. Crying which school accepted your diploma?

Maya

Post Mon, Apr 15 2013, 11:42 pm
Alfred State.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 15 2013, 11:42 pm
Maya wrote:

I was more thinking of doing a spin of the "Homeless to Harvard" story.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/w.....1142n

Bitachon101

Post Tue, Apr 16 2013, 12:04 am
Wasnt this supposed to be an inside Hasidism thread and not a college, GED, harvard, grammar thread?
Just my 2 cents.

Regardless... I fount the video interesting. (u can get it on you tube called Inside Hasidism and its by Channel Europe or something like that... ignore the one that says watch5online cuz that one came up blank and when you click on the link its some malicious link. Go to the other video.)
Its abt 45 min but its interesting to see different view points... I couldnt get over that the Lubavitch Chasid Mattisyahu looked so Jewish even in his not frum pics... he sounded so jewish... amazing. And it was interesting to see how his family accepted or reacted to him at the end.
I was a little turned off by the few that threw away Judiasm though I am not judging any of them. I just feel because of their hard feelings they can make the world see Judiasm - or hasidism which is often confused with all of judiasm - in a negative light. I know there's bad and good in everything in life.
Not all Satmars are bad and not all are good (in fact some are Terrible) but its not a ssatmar thing or a Skverre thing etc... its existent in every sect of life. There are good people and there are bad ppl and there are evil ppl. There are some very happy Chassidish people - truly happy. They dont mind the lack of freedom because for them its a security and a warmth. That doesnt mean everybody feels that way but every one has different situations and needs in life. but it doesnt make one group good or bad.
It means there are sickos wherever you go and there are amazing ppl wherever you go (even in the non jewish world!) and at the same time I agree that certain overpowering protectiveness can back fire in certain cases and it is important for each community to learn how to deal with these situations in a preventative way to make life enjoyable for those that cant deal with the way it is in "extreme". Again - some ppl have met the sickos and their idea of Chassidism has been tainted so unfortunately.

I also wanted to mention that woman that came frum almost by accident that left England I think to study Hassidism... couldnt explain it but she really warmed my heart. No Im not Chabbad but I really loved how she was able to have the connection and warmth to her in her joining hasidism.

Ok I went over on 2 cents.... Smile

Cookies n Cream

Post Tue, Apr 16 2013, 7:19 am
amother wrote:
Cookies n Cream wrote:

I think you need to wait til your 16 to get a ged. (which is also the age where you are no longer mandated by law to attend high school altogether). they may make exceptions though and allow you to take it earlier but you need to check out what the law is in regards to that.

So if I understand correctly, you are advising all Satmar women to have their daughters just skip high school, and get their GEDs at age 16, or whatever possible age? Scratching Head

moonstone

Post Tue, Apr 16 2013, 9:56 am
I watched the video on YouTube- very interesting. I was really taken aback when the woman said that she thought she would go to Hell if she didn't shave her head. Are girls really taught this nonsense in these communities? Very sad.

Tamiri

Post Tue, Apr 16 2013, 10:02 am
The MOST interesting part about it to me was, in fact, that it was BARELY about "real" Chassidim, besides maybe the nice couple with the gorgeous house and the chatan flying to marry his (non Chassidish from birth) bride. All the rest seemed to have been "drop outs" or "wannabes". So I don't get the point. It wasn't an honest portrayal of any known Chassidut!

Yocheved84

Post Tue, Apr 16 2013, 2:27 pm
I'm watching the "Inside Hasidism" documentary now (thank you, above poster, for the link). Just curious: Are any of these women on Imamother?

And, my apologies for sounding so naive, but the first woman doesn't speak with any accent or inflection. That surprised me. (We all speak with a certain inflection, so please don't see my comment as being bashing--I'm really asking because I'm curious.)

I'm only a few minutes in, but can anyone explain?

Raisin

Post Tue, Apr 16 2013, 3:03 pm
Tamiri wrote:
The MOST interesting part about it to me was, in fact, that it was BARELY about "real" Chassidim, besides maybe the nice couple with the gorgeous house and the chatan flying to marry his (non Chassidish from birth) bride. All the rest seemed to have been "drop outs" or "wannabes". So I don't get the point. It wasn't an honest portrayal of any known Chassidut!

the chatan flying to get married is chabad, I highly doubt that he would be marrying a girl from a non chabad family, but maybe I'm wrong. Her name is a typical chabad name (devorah Leah)

I don't see anything wrong with including a BT who became chassidic, but I do feel there were not enough typical chassidim. But again, would a typical chassidic family, shpitzal and all, agree to be interviewed?

Bitachon101

Post Sun, Apr 21 2013, 2:04 am
Raisin wrote:
Tamiri wrote:

the chatan flying to get married is chabad, I highly doubt that he would be marrying a girl from a non chabad family, but maybe I'm wrong. Her name is a typical chabad name (devorah Leah)

I don't see anything wrong with including a BT who became chassidic, but I do feel there were not enough typical chassidim. But again, would a typical chassidic family, shpitzal and all, agree to be interviewed?

I assumed as well that the typical more to the right or extreme or heis or whatever you want to call them would be either uncomfortable or afraid to be interviewed on TV for the world to see. It goes against the whole tzniyus/private concept. It would take a more open and chilled family to allow the curious cameras into their private life.
Page 5 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics