Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Does anyone want the cheap dumpy bungalow next door to mine?
  1  2  3  9  10  11  Next

the world's best mom

Post Sun, Apr 14 2013, 9:06 pm
I go to a bungalow colony in the catskills every year, and my sister takes the bungalow next door. We shared a porch. Well, this year, she got a bungalow in a different colony that we've both been wanting to go to. They probably won't have another bungalow for me though, so I'm stuck all alone in my old place. My aunt and my cousin also came there every year, but they might not come back either this year. It will be so lonely. Sad

So, does anyone want my sister's bungalow? It has a kitchen and 2 bedrooms- one big and one small. It still had a bathroom attached last time I checked. We eat meals outside at the picnic tables, except for when they collapsed. The porch is small and I fell through the porch floor last year, so I don't know if it still has a hole or not. (The hole was on my side of the porch, so if you balance carefully, it shouldn't affect you too much.) I think you get the picture. It's REALLY cheap though. And of course, you would have the best neighbor- ME! Can I bribe abyone enough to be interested so I won't be bored out of my mind there? We have a pool. Scratching Head What Ice cream

It's a mixed crowd BTW. We have some Lubavitch people, some Yeshivish, some MO, and some slightly Chassidish. Mostly poor, but we once had a rich lawyer who came because he always wanted to live in a shack in the woods and this was exactly what he was looking for.

tikvuchka

Post Sun, Apr 14 2013, 9:10 pm
yes would love to...pm me wth more info?

amother

Post Sun, Apr 14 2013, 9:11 pm
op, I'll take it but only if you pay for it... Tongue Out

the world's best mom

Post Sun, Apr 14 2013, 9:29 pm
tikvuchka wrote:
Are you serious? And what nationality are you? (Yeshivish, Lubavitch, MO...) You have 2 little girls? I would actually prefer someone with kids to be friends with my kids, because their only friends were my neices and cousins. My girls are 8 and 7. MNy boys will be 5 and 1. They're very cute. Wink

the world's best mom

Post Sun, Apr 14 2013, 9:31 pm
amother wrote:
op, I'll take it but only if you pay for it... Tongue Out

Yeah right! Then I may as well take it myself and have a porch floor I can walk on! I'm on a diet by the way, because I don't want to break the rest of the floor.

bnm

Post Sun, Apr 14 2013, 9:45 pm
do the locks on the doors work? does the porch have a door that can contain my little runner? please pm me location and amount of rent. is there a day camp on premises?

the world's best mom

Post Sun, Apr 14 2013, 9:48 pm
the world's best mom wrote:
tikvuchka wrote:
Are you serious? And what nationality are you? (Yeshivish, Lubavitch, MO...) You have 2 little girls? I would actually prefer someone with kids to be friends with my kids, because their only friends were my neices and cousins. My girls are 8 and 7. MNy boys will be 5 and 1. They're very cute. Wink

I realize that this post comes across sounding rather snobby. It was not meant in a snobby way. I would welcome anyone, but kids to play with my kids are a big plus.

the world's best mom

Post Sun, Apr 14 2013, 9:51 pm
bnm wrote:
do the locks on the doors work? does the porch have a door that can contain my little runner? please pm me location and amount of rent. is there a day camp on premises?

HA HA! Locks? That work? Every night, when I lock my door (with my hook and eye), the hook falls off in my hand and I have to screw it back on. We also have a bent nail that I turn to block the door from opening. Is that good enough?

There is a day camp with one bunk, ages 2/3 to 6. About 6 kids in the camp. I heard they would like to start another bunk for 6-11 year olds. Does that count? If you're still interested, I'm happy to pm you details.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Apr 15 2013, 6:49 am
Wow, there are really so few little kids in the colony? only 6 kids ages 3-6???

purplpen

Post Mon, Apr 15 2013, 6:57 am
Location and price? I have 4 year old b/g twins who would love to go to a colony that's affordable! And any dump is still better than hot brooklyn...

greenfire

Post Mon, Apr 15 2013, 7:42 am
yeah so far you haven't said the location as in town ... the catskill mountains is quite a large arena ... people need to know how far away they are from civilization aka monticello for shoprite & walmart or a pizza shop or the road to eternity ...

p.s. it doesn't take much to fix up those things - if you're near home depot ... something tells me it's easier to use a hammer & nail vs going on a diet Banging head

greenfire

Post Mon, Apr 15 2013, 7:44 am
oh & I'm an overgrown kid ... LOVE to play Bounce

the world's best mom

Post Mon, Apr 15 2013, 9:02 am
We are in Loch Sheldrake, a 7 minute drive from Shop Rite and pizza shop in Liberty. Walmart is more like 15-20 minutes away. The price is around $2,300, plus $50 a week for gas and electric.

Greenfire, my ds fell through the porch 2 years afo, when he was a tiny 2 year old. THe owner nailed down a board to cover the hole and I fell through it again. The walls are held together with duct tape. It's beyond hammer and nails. It needs to be knocked down and rebuilt.

Mama bear, the camp had 8 kids last year- 2 were mine, 2 were my cousins and 2 were my neices. The rest were the head counselors kids. There are few other kids who go to camp off grounds. All the older kids had to travel. It would be nice if the older bunk works out this year, but without my relatives, it's not too easy to find kids for it. There are 40 bungalows, some of which are no longer useable. Many of the people there are grandparents (around 1/2) and the average amount of kids per young family is 3 or 4. Each of my kids only had a couple of friends there.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Apr 15 2013, 9:19 am
You're not only the world's best mom, you're also the world's best salesman Wink

greenfire

Post Mon, Apr 15 2013, 10:10 am
in that case I'll stick with my hammock & campfire

the world's best mom

Post Mon, Apr 15 2013, 12:18 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
You're not only the world's best mom, you're also the world's best salesman Wink
Yeah, I'm about equally good at both. Could you imagine, I'm such a talented salesman and still nobody wants to come?

amother

Post Mon, Apr 15 2013, 12:21 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Yeah, I'm about equally good at both. Could you imagine, I'm such a talented salesman and still nobody wants to come?

no, and you shouldnt go either. I dont care how cheap this place is, you do not put yourself or your children in danger. please consider going somewhere else.

MimiMommy

Post Mon, Apr 15 2013, 12:26 pm
I don't understand. You're paying thousands of dollars for a cheap overpriced hazardous dump and you think this is preferable to staying home? Geez. Brooklyn summer peer pressure in full swing.

the world's best mom

Post Mon, Apr 15 2013, 12:37 pm
amother wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

no, and you shouldnt go either. I dont care how cheap this place is, you do not put yourself or your children in danger. please consider going somewhere else.

I did consider going somewhere else, just like my sister and my cousin did. So they got the bungalows and there was nothing left for me. So I'm stuck here praying to wake up each morning with the bungalow still standing around me.

To be honest, I enjoy the place very much. Falling through the porch is not an every day occurance there. It's just old. My bungalow was built in the 1920's by the current owner's grandfather who was a chicken farmer and built bungalows as a hobby. It's a beautiful place- at least outside. The grass, the blue sky, the fresh air and the relaxing pace are things that I love about it. I grew up there. And the place is still standing after all these years, so I don't think it will collapse today just out of the blue. We did get a bit worried by Hurricane Irene, but the owner thought that if we all go inside and sit down, the bungalows would have a good chance of staying in place. And they are still there.

the world's best mom

Post Mon, Apr 15 2013, 12:44 pm
MimiMommy wrote:
I don't understand. You're paying thousands of dollars for a cheap overpriced hazardous dump and you think this is preferable to staying home? Geez. Brooklyn summer peer pressure in full swing.

I don't live in Brooklyn. Very Happy

Going away there is cheaper than sending my kids to camp in the city, we get to escape the humidity and go swimming, and it is an amazing experience that kids can't get in the city. I would hate to stay home.

Walking on the road there admiring the scenery while pushing my stroller up and down the hills is the most invigorating, healthy activity. I take all my kids sometimes to see the waterfall down the road. Swimming is an important part of the day there. So is splashing in the mud puddles after it rains, and crawling around the grass, and so much more. The kids are outdoors all day, playing with their few friends, collecting frogs and salamandars, and having a great time.

The inside of the bungalow is just something we have to put up with.
Page 1 of 11   1  2  3  9  10  11  Next Recent Topics