Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Does anyone want the cheap dumpy bungalow next door to mine?
  Previous  1  2  3 5  6  7 9  10  11  Next

the world's best mom

Post Thu, Aug 15 2013, 11:24 pm
Many of the families there are the same ones who were there when I was little. They are grandparents now. Bracha V'Hatzlacha and I grew up there together, so we both come now with our kids. There aren't really any new people coming, and more bungalows become unusable each year. There were only 24 bungalows in use this year, out of the 40 bungalows there. It's sad.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Tue, Aug 20 2013, 1:44 pm
who are yakira & gold21??

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Tue, Aug 20 2013, 1:54 pm
I think there are off & on years...when we returned to coming here, 6 years ago, there were empties, while the next year was full (basically, I think)

gold21

Post Tue, Aug 20 2013, 2:50 pm
Gold21 is just a boring lady. Don't think too hard trying to figure out who I am. Despite my outspoken online persona, im really kind of Plain Jane, Girl Next Door type. :-).

bookie

Post Tue, Aug 20 2013, 3:44 pm
I only know who worlds best mom is. I have yet to figure out the rest of you although, I do have one name in my head just no clue which one of you it is. (Not that I am really trying all that hard too) It is sad about ganz. People have many wonderful memories there

the world's best mom

Post Wed, Aug 21 2013, 12:48 am
bookie wrote:
I only know who worlds best mom is. I have yet to figure out the rest of you although, I do have one name in my head just no clue which one of you it is. (Not that I am really trying all that hard too) It is sad about ganz. People have many wonderful memories there

I don't remember who was in that bungalow, but I'm glad to know you remember me. I'm curious now.

the world's best mom

Post Wed, Aug 21 2013, 12:51 am
BrachaVHatzlocha wrote:
who are yakira & gold21??

You were never there together with gold 21. She came after your family stopped coming, and before you started again.

I don't know if Yakira wants me to hint to you who she is. I guess I'll leave it to her.

the world's best mom

Post Wed, Aug 21 2013, 1:06 am
BrachaVHatzlocha wrote:
I think there are off & on years...when we returned to coming here, 6 years ago, there were empties, while the next year was full (basically, I think)
Yeah, that's because I came back the next year. Very Happy Now that we left, it's really empty.

I wish we could all go back there. Shlepping down the muddy hill to the laundry room to let our dirty clothes stay dirty in those worthless machines was a lot less pressurizing than here where you have to sign up for a time slot for the laundry and if you're five minutes late, people are ready to shoot you.

But at least here the laundry room has 5 machines and they do this really strange thing called washing the clothes. And there are 4 dryers, 3 of which dry the clothes. It's just that having to share it with actual people, and ones who expect you to be there 5 minutes before your time slot or else, is not what I'm used to.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Mon, Aug 26 2013, 10:01 pm
so what are the plans for next summer?

the world's best mom

Post Mon, Aug 26 2013, 10:12 pm
Plan #1: We will be in Yerushalayim because Mashiach will be here way before then.

Second choice: To go back to Ganz with my sister and cousin. Unfortunately, that's not what they want. They loved the new place.

After that, I don't know. My main reason for liking Ganz so much better was that with so few kids there, my special needs 5 year old didn't have many people to bully. He had a lot of open space to play, and cars and bikes to ride, and he practically had it all to himself. Our section only had 3 families with little kids.

In the new place, there is only one section, and it has 30 bungalows all crowded around one grassy area. The average amount of kids per family was around 8-10. In other words, there were swarms of kids all over for ds to pick on. He was well meaning, but he kept picking up people's babies and pushing their toddlers around. It was too overwhelming for him and for me.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 27 2013, 12:09 am
Oy. Sorry it was so stressful, TWBM. Yknow, in Ganz you really could take your laundry across the street to a working machine. I never heard of that problem with clothes not getting clean, and we're not snobby about people using different sides' machines.

Your side was indeed empty but the West was really hopping this year, which is strange because from my childhood I always remember it being the more tame side, when I was little I was kind of afraid of it because it seemed darkish with all the big trees and hazardous with their roots sticking up all over. The North is gorgeous but it was never fully gated and now even less so, I was OK with it for now because I only visited for a few days and only with two very little kids so it was easy to keep track of them. Otherwise I'd have been a nervous wreck.

Shame your cousin doesn't want to come back to Ganz (at first from the DH's reports it seemed they might!) but your aunt had various children and grandchildren visiting each time I was there.

8-10 kids per family. Wow. That IS a lot. Wait, you have less, and so does your cousin... but I get the idea. Ganz has lots of grandparents now, not so many big young families. There was a nice amount of little girls, but seemed like very few little boys. A handful of big boys, and maybe a couple of toddler/preschoolers.

Well then, Jerusalem it is. Though I think even if we did do the ingathering thing, I'd still want to be able to visit Ganz. There's something very special about that place. I love it so much. I'm so happy I can still take my kids back to visit and hope it will stay open a while! My mother's bungalow is not falling apart at all! Too bad my DH did not grow up with an appreciation for wooden shacks or separate vacations so I will never be able to spend more than a few days at a time Tongue Out

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Aug 27 2013, 12:31 am
Yeah, the west was the place to be this year. Too bad the only empty bungalow had only one small bedroom with 2 twin beds in it. It just wouldn't fit the 6 of us.

I guess my aunt had most of her guests after we left. She only had one kid each Shabbos when we were there.

At least when you were there, the north had half a gate that Jay built. Or did he make a second half to it? Most of the time we were there, there was just the old broken gate that didn't close.

My cousin ended up going to the new place because they gave the bungalow to her instead of to me. That's because it's upstairs and they thought we'd be too noisy with 4 walking kids. (Nah, we're not noisy at all. Ds is extremely quiet. Except for when he screams. In other words, except for when he's awake.) I was disappointed at first, but now I'm very happy that it worked out the way it did.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 27 2013, 1:01 am
It was a NON-gate! What half gate! First of all, half a gate is no gate when it comes to keeping kids in. Secondly, the "gate" was just a wooden frame that either of my kids could have easily gotten under, through, or around. *SHUDDER* Like, what's the point? But B"H I just had two little ones with me, I just kept watching them out in the middle of the lawn and they were so busy playing they didn't even think about going anywhere. Had we stayed longer they might have gotten ideas, though. Ah but it was such a nice couple of days... I meant to visit your colony but it didn't happen. Saw your (our) cousin's kids visiting their grandmother, but not their parents. (C and G were there with their kids, too!)

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Aug 27 2013, 9:30 am
Yes, C and G each came to our place for a barbecue. But they were smart enough to come to Ganz after the screaming bully and his family left.

I also wondered about the purpose of his half non-gate. I saw it as a symbol to tell children, "You can't come out here. I'm here to half block you." I know, very useful.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 27 2013, 10:27 am
Well, I guess it helps for older kids a bit. Like "You may ride your bike until the gate." But it was pretty lame.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 27 2013, 11:23 am
the world's best mom wrote:
Yes, C and G each came to our place for a barbecue. But they were smart enough to come to Ganz after the screaming bully and his family left.

I also wondered about the purpose of his half non-gate. I saw it as a symbol to tell children, "You can't come out here. I'm here to half block you." I know, very useful.

I don't know how the gate was this past year, but last summer, the gate served a very important purpose. It gave my autistic child a head start running to the road since he was able to fit under the gate while I had to open it. I guess the gate changed this year if its being called a half gate.

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Aug 27 2013, 12:19 pm
Same with the gate on the east. I took off the lock to the second gate because it allowed kids to get out and not adults.

Someone on the north had a water delivery and the truck went into the gate and ruined it. So at the very end of July, Jay built a wooden thing that went halfway across the space there. It's good you didn't come back this year. It would have been torture for you.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Wed, Aug 28 2013, 9:00 pm
Ok, so I figured out "amother" who visited this year...if you had stayed more than a few days, Jay would have HAD to fix that gate. I think the only reason he was able to get away with the "half gate" was cuz there were no really kids on that side.

Still haven't figured out the rest of you, though.

My baby escaped to the small road (towards the big road) out of east gate 2x in last 3 days there...so glad he didn't figure it out earlier cuz he is FAST. Jay put a bunjy cord, but baby can fit thru it (this is gate near katz bungalow). I told Jay that if my baby doesn't get much bigger by next year, those gates will need to be improved!

the world's best mom

Post Wed, Aug 28 2013, 11:13 pm
That's exactly why I took the old bungee cord off that gate. It let the kids through, but then I was stuck inside trying to open it. But my baby was more interested in getting out the other gate, which opens easily now the Jay used a piece of wire to attach the latch thingies.

And btw, how did you like the fancy new pool lock? It was called a hook and bent wire mechanism. It stayed closed until the baby pushed it a few times, the loop in the bent wire opened up, and the hook fell right out. It was a great safety device.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Wed, Aug 28 2013, 11:37 pm
I didn't really pay that much attention to it.
Just gotta love how the mechitza does such a good job....
but my mom and I both came to the pool and found it completely unlocked (once she did, once I did) with no one inside, so that is scary/dangerous...
Page 6 of 11   Previous  1  2  3 5  6  7 9  10  11  Next Recent Topics