Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Does anyone want the cheap dumpy bungalow next door to mine?
  Previous  1  2  3 8 9  10  11  Next

amother

Post Tue, May 20 2014, 9:59 pm
I still think they should redevelop it. Tear down the worst bungs, build something new while staying with the simple rustic feeling, charge a little more to keep it sustainable, and revive the chevra. HOW HARD CAN THIS BE????!!!! Come on, it is the last holdout of good old fashioned wholesomeness left in maybe the entire state, I don't know, the only one I know of anyway. And if my heart is broken imagine poor Mrs. Ganz. Let's do some bungalow colony CPR. Maybe we can get some reality show to take it on. SOMETHING.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Tue, May 20 2014, 10:04 pm
I'm bidding on a tent now Very Happy

amother

Post Tue, May 20 2014, 10:39 pm
Seriously, somebody call the guys from "Xtreme Bungalow Colony Makeover" Idea

the world's best mom

Post Tue, May 20 2014, 11:19 pm
I can still hear the rustling of the trees;
I can see the branches sway in the breeze.
I imagine the sunset down Bower’s Road;
I can hear the shouts of “I see a toad!”
I can taste the ice cream from Jay’s old store;
Listen! I hear chirping of crickets galore.
I remember the swings swaying to and fro;
I recall all the years I saw my kids grow.
I can’t believe Ganz has come to an end,
Now, with summer around the bend.

I’ve watched the geese swimming on the lake;
I’ve shared my bungalow with a snake.
I’ve played with my children out in the grass;
They loved inviting kids from their class.
They splashed in the puddles with boots or barefeet;
We enjoyed bringing our meals outdoors to eat.
They went to day camp in the barn down the hill;
We had barbeques each week on our grill.
I can’t believe there is no more Ganz;
I hope you can see us waving our hands.

The time has come that now we must say
Farewell to sweet Mrs. Ganz and Jay.
Goodbye to the Shule ad the movie each week,
So long to the payphone on which we did speak.
Adieu to the paddle ball court and to the pool,
We will never forget how it kept us all cool.
We will cherish these memories; we’ll never forget.
We’ll make time to come back and visit, I bet.
The summers we spent there are priceless, it’s true,
So don’t worry, dear Ganzes, we won’t forget you.

amother

Post Tue, May 20 2014, 11:29 pm
Shucks, you have me sobbing now. I hope you will attach some pictures to that and send it to the Ganzes.

Oh dear G-d I can't let it go. Crying

the world's best mom

Post Wed, May 21 2014, 7:24 am
Nah. I'm the traitor who was about to leave at my own free will. They don't want to hear that now all of a sudden I've decided I'll miss it.

greenfire

Post Wed, May 21 2014, 12:10 pm
amother wrote:

wouldn't that be an idea ...

or you could all pick up your own hammer & drill ... Banging head

ectomorph

Post Wed, May 21 2014, 12:15 pm
This whole thread is hysterically funny.

I don't even know what bungalow colony you're talking about but that poem made me crack up.

the world's best mom

Post Wed, May 21 2014, 8:29 pm
Glad you enjoyed.

Enough people have told me to send it to them, so I've decided to do so. But I changed the second line to "I saw Mr. Ganz drive his red truck with ease." A poem about Ganz cannot be complete without Mr. Ganz's truck.

But my dh says I should have written "I saw Mr. Ganz drive his red truck with difficulties." When he was old, he ended up in the ditch more often than not.

amother

Post Wed, May 21 2014, 10:42 pm
Yeah the poem is great but it was missing the people. Of course, it's the sights/smells/sounds that remind you of the warm feelings that were created by the people (and the fresh country air, and seriously I have not yet seen any other bungalow colony as pretty! Especially since I hail from the North. Nice white cottages in a neat circle around the verdant lawn with the play area in the center, surrounded by the woods... THERE IS NONE OTHER.) but what I'm saying is that people who haven't been there and are reading the poem probably won't get it. ("Ice cream? Can't you eat ice cream anywhere?" NO DARNIT it was about coming to the woodsy old store, wet from the pool, picking your hand-delivered mail from the pile (and seeing who everyone else was getting mail from btw) and having the ice cream personally handed to you with a tease by a country character who knew which flavor you wanted before you did.)

the world's best mom

Post Wed, May 21 2014, 11:32 pm
True. LOL You got that store description exactly right.

amother

Post Wed, May 21 2014, 11:44 pm
Except I left out the "with everyone else" part. And the terry robes, but what else would you be wearing when emerging wet from the pool?

SIIIIIGH.

I remember I always thought I wanted ices. But I didn't really like ices, I liked ice cream. But ices were choshuv. My mother was smart; she told me I could get ices for Shabbos. So once in a while I would buy an ices, take a couple of licks, and never finish it. But I was happy because I got to get what I thought I wanted, and the rest of the time I was happy because I got what I really liked. LOL. Kid memories!

Isn't it funny how no one else ever knew what a strawberry eclair or a creamsicle was? They still make them but they are never called that.

I wonder if the store was really always so dark or if it just seemed that way because you'd be coming straight from the sun. Probably just dark. Cool

amother

Post Wed, May 21 2014, 11:46 pm
And I always wondered what the Ganzes thought of us city kids who would go crazy over normal things like salamanders and bugs. Poor things raised in a concrete jungle. With no Ganz, that's probably my kids' fate Sad TOO SOON! TOO SOON! I'm not ready!

My sister in law must be going crazy around now.

the world's best mom

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 12:20 am
The store was dark because they wouldn't splurge on decent lighting.

I've also been wondering how your sister-in-law is managing now.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, May 25 2014, 7:33 pm
ps jay has read this! LOL?!

the world's best mom

Post Sun, May 25 2014, 8:37 pm
He read this whole thread? How do you know?

Oh boy, I'm really in trouble now. embarrassed

amother

Post Sun, May 25 2014, 8:44 pm
amother wrote:

Rolling Laughter

amother

Post Sun, May 25 2014, 8:54 pm
amother wrote:
Rolling Laughter

Hey, who goes there? I am the resident Amother of Ganz!
Bracha, that is too funny.
Jay, if you're still reading, Wave Tell us what to do. Should we storm Town Hall? (Is there a Town Hall?) Or bring some more planks to hold up the structures or something? Are you still allowed to just have personal guests, can we come and just call ourselves friends like we've been doing the last 50 years or so anyway?

the world's best mom

Post Sun, Jun 22 2014, 9:23 pm
I'm just reminding everyone who is reading this who will be going back to Ganz to get their stuff to take the Mezuzas off the doors. Raccoons don't need Mezuzas.

exacterredactor

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 1:13 pm
Wow, I went to Ganz from when I was 7 til 21 (and even worked at Sullivan County CC through Stern College work study program one summer). My parents went every summer from 1972 until 3 years ago. I loved, loved, loved that place. I totally expected to bring my kids there every summer but my husband is so anti-country, we were lucky to get one Shabbos there with my parents. (It is possible that had it not been Ganz he may have been more amenable, but I prefer not to dwell on that.)
Ganz had everything except deluxe (some might say decent) bungalows, but so what? we were there to be outside, so we loved it that the outdoors came right into our bungalows. and the bungalows were so individualized. In the store bungalow the bathroom was bigger than the bedroom.
Great neighbors, great scenery, a lake, wildlife all around, skunks in the bathroom, frogs in the pool. so educational. it allowed you to be so at one with nature.
It even had training swings! In the field behind the east side.
Does anyone remember Mr. Ganz's grandmother and her husband Philip, and the pony that got away? (My brother caught it.)
Going to the country was the best thing ever.
Page 9 of 11   Previous  1  2  3 8 9  10  11  Next Recent Topics