Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Passport expiring within 6 months

rise above

Post Wed, Apr 17 2013, 11:27 am
I may be making an emergency trip to Israel in the next 2 weeks and my passport is expiring in August.
I know the official rule is that you cannot enter Israel if your passport is expiring within 6 months. I am a US citizen.
I know I can pay a fortune and go to one of these places that expedites in 2-3 days, but other then that, has anyone has experience with maybe getting allowance to enter Israel with a passport that will be expiring after the duration of the trip? Are there any loopholes or ways to get around this?

Liba

Post Wed, Apr 17 2013, 11:33 am
My elderly great uncle was turned back at the airport erev pesach since his passport expired in five months. They had Pesach all made and ready in E"Y but they weren't able to fly.

Get the passport taken care of, no matter how expensive it is less expensive than buying a ticket and not being able to use it because of a passport issue! You aren't likely to get a refund.

Last edited by Liba on Wed, Apr 17 2013, 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

rise above

Post Wed, Apr 17 2013, 11:43 am
Wow! Ouch!
I would never just show up at the airport like this- but was wondering if maybe I could speak to Israeli consulate and get permission or something. I am not a flight risk leaving my young kids at home..

Marion

Post Wed, Apr 17 2013, 8:07 pm
The standard (not just in Israel) is for countries to require a passport that is valid for another 6 months.

How long is your trip expected to be?

rise above

Post Wed, Apr 17 2013, 9:04 pm
5 days

DrMom

Post Wed, Apr 17 2013, 9:24 pm
Pay the fee and get your passport renewed.

You don't want to be turned away at the airport.

baba

Post Wed, Apr 17 2013, 11:40 pm
I'm guessing you would have to get a new one.
But no harm in calling/emailing the consulate and asking them.

Liba

Post Wed, Apr 17 2013, 11:42 pm
It isn't just the consulate though. The airline is very likely to refuse to allow her to board to begin with.

Strawberry

Post Wed, Apr 17 2013, 11:44 pm
Don't risk it.
Having said that, here is info from the US Embassy. http://israel.usembassy.gov/co......html

Does my passport need to be valid for 6 months or a year in order to travel?
You may use your U.S. passport for travel to and from the United States within the validity date displayed on the passport. Other countries vary. Review Consular Information Sheets for each country’s entry requirements.

Entering Israel: An onward or return ticket and proof of sufficient funds are required for entry. Although a passport valid for six months from the date of entering Israel is not required by the Government of Israel, airlines routinely require this and may prevent boarding if a traveler does not have at least six months validity on his or her passport.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Apr 18 2013, 12:02 am
I have to do this for my daughter. Does anyone know if I have to take her with me to do this if I already have pictures of her? (sorry to hijack the thread for a second)

RachelEve14

Post Thu, Apr 18 2013, 12:22 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I have to do this for my daughter. Does anyone know if I have to take her with me to do this if I already have pictures of her? (sorry to hijack the thread for a second)

Yes, you have to take her.

lst

Post Thu, Apr 18 2013, 1:06 am
If its a US passport, both parents have to be there...though I'm not sure how it works when one parent is not American.

shabri

Post Thu, Apr 18 2013, 1:19 am
Also a side question. We are traveling in aug. we go in and out of America on our American passports and in and out of Israel on Israeli passports. If Dd's American passport expires within 6 mos (but valid at time of travel) is it ok considering she also has a valid Israeli one? (We live in Israel and are flying to America)

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Apr 18 2013, 1:46 am
RachelEve14 wrote:
shabbatiscoming wrote:

Yes, you have to take her.
For the israeli one too? I was talking about israeli.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions