Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
I did IVF. Ask me anything.
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

amother

Post Mon, Jun 03 2013, 6:53 pm
Hi I'm actually going through my first IVF cycle right now. hope to have the retrival im'h next week. I have a few questions (btw I don't go on the ATIME forums, not really sure how it works)
1. Did you do the genetic testing? I know it is very costly and I'm sure a lot of ravs or maybe most don't allow it but I'm just curious what other opinions are since I havent looked into it yet and I don't know after going through all this if I could handle any serious situations.
2. how long was your bed rest after transfer and did you do any bed rest after retrival?
3. freezing eggs -I'm just looking for what situations others dealt with not freezing the extra eggs is not even an option but I don't know much about it how exactly does it work are you ever allowed to eventually "discard" them if you don't use them again?
4. how long after your first ivf did you try for a 2nd if the first was not successful? Can you try right away the next month?
5. I'm on my 4th night of gonal f/menopur and just wondering after this next ultrasound tomorrow how much worse does it get? so far I have no meds on my schedule until I see the doctor tomorrow until the trigger shot. Do the med side effects get much worse after this stage?
6.how much did your doctor charge for 1 IVF cycle? did anyone buy a package of 2 or 3 cycles at once? I know there are additional costs such as meds, anestesia etc. if your insurance does not cover that. Just curious how much everyone is paying.

***FYI for us there are BH no diagnosed issue for some reason its just not catching and we did a couple of IUIs already. So BH we don't have any problems except the catching problem Smile overall I'm pretty excited to be going through this step and hope to be successfull.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 03 2013, 8:06 pm
I'm happy to share with you some of my experience, (3 successful ivf cycles Bh) 1 some genetic testing was included in the ivf, so we did it. 2 I was not told to bed rest after I left the Dr. office. 3 after the first we froze 5 embryos and that ended in a failed cycle the second there was nothing to freeze, I currently have frozen and am paying alot for storage, I don't regret it and am looking forward to try it iyh. if you ask me I say save as much as possible. 4 I waited 3 to 4 yr. between each ivf cycle. 5 if I remember correctly it does not get worse until the progesterone shots but by then your almost preggo so hopefully you can see some light in this dark tunnel. 6 if its important I will go threw my files to give you the exact number what it costed us. I'm guessing $15,000.00. I would like to wish you much Hatzlacha. I'm here if you need something.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 03 2013, 8:42 pm
We are also in the process of our 1st IVF cycle. We are dealing with male factor IF so B'H I am completely healthy.

Quote:
Did you do the genetic testing? I know it is very costly and I'm sure a lot of ravs or maybe most don't allow it but I'm just curious what other opinions are since I havent looked into it yet and I don't know after going through all this if I could handle any serious situations.

We have chosen not to do it. I don't see a reason to do it unless you have a specific genetic condition that you do not want to pass on to your children.

Quote:
freezing eggs -I'm just looking for what situations others dealt with not freezing the extra eggs is not even an option but I don't know much about it how exactly does it work are you ever allowed to eventually "discard" them if you don't use them again?

We just had to ask our Rav this question because we had to sign IVF consent paperwork at our doctors. His answer was yes, you can discard unused embryos eventually (in our situation, it states if one of the spouses pass away or if 10 years pass without it being used). However, this is a question for your Rav.

Hatzlacha with your cycle, I hope we have hatzlacha as well.

catonmylap

Post Tue, Jun 04 2013, 10:03 am
Quote:
Hi I'm actually going through my first IVF cycle right now. hope to have the retrival im'h next week. I have a few questions (btw I don't go on the ATIME forums, not really sure how it works)
1. Did you do the genetic testing? I know it is very costly and I'm sure a lot of ravs or maybe most don't allow it but I'm just curious what other opinions are since I havent looked into it yet and I don't know after going through all this if I could handle any serious situations.

Not initially, but they kept bugging me about it because if there was an issue, we could do pgd. So, I did the basic genetics tests on me only before my last cycle/pregnancy, and all were negative so dh wasn't tested.

Quote:
2. how long was your bed rest after transfer and did you do any bed rest after retrival?

48 hours after transfer.... the bed rest is enjoyable. I do it and enjoy. I try to get some nice movies to watch during that time.

after retrieval, tend to take it easy because I don't feel great. But I think I went back to work the day if it was a regular day.

Quote:
3. freezing eggs -I'm just looking for what situations others dealt with not freezing the extra eggs is not even an option but I don't know much about it how exactly does it work are you ever allowed to eventually "discard" them if you don't use them again?

you freeze embryos.... if you can discard them is a question for a Rav.

Quote:
. how long after your first ivf did you try for a 2nd if the first was not successful? Can you try right away the next month?

it always took at least a year to use up the frozen embryos from the first cycle. I never did a frozen cycle right after. I always needed a break before.
Quote:

5. I'm on my 4th night of gonal f/menopur and just wondering after this next ultrasound tomorrow how much worse does it get? so far I have no meds on my schedule until I see the doctor tomorrow until the trigger shot. Do the med side effects get much worse after this stage?

it gets very uncomfortable right before the retrieval.

Quote:
6.how much did your doctor charge for 1 IVF cycle? did anyone buy a package of 2 or 3 cycles at once? I know there are additional costs such as meds, anestesia etc. if your insurance does not cover that. Just curious how much everyone is paying.

in Israel - it was free.... worth considering aliya if it was something you were maybe thinking about.

Quote:
***FYI for us there are BH no diagnosed issue for some reason its just not catching and we did a couple of IUIs already. So BH we don't have any problems except the catching problem Smile overall I'm pretty excited to be going through this step and hope to be successfull.

started out as unexplained too, found multiple small issues with time...

amother

Post Wed, Jun 05 2013, 9:56 am
I'm the imamother with the 6 questions tnx for the replies. To the person who found problems afterwards what kind of issues were causing it and when did you find out?

amother

Post Wed, Jun 05 2013, 11:06 am
amother wrote:
4. how long after your first ivf did you try for a 2nd if the first was not successful? Can you try right away the next month?

I just did my first IVF cycle and B"h it was successful. I am now at the end of my 1st trimester. Here are the answers to the best of my ability:

1. We did IVF because of a genetic issue, not because of infertility. We did PGD but you would have had to decide on that a while ago, it's too late for you to do it now. PGD is very expensive; we had it covered by insurance, b"h. You can do whatever testing your IVF center offers, as well as some optional testing that they offer, all with a Rav's okay, or course.

2. After retrieval I had terrible OHSS and I pushed myself to go to work, but I had to go in for IV fluids so I missed 2 days of work. Make sure to drink tons of Gatorade or a drink with electrolytes, and eat salty foods after retrieval. After transfer I did not have any bed rest.

3. I froze all my eggs (the ones that were healthy after genetic testing). My cycle was a frozen transfer due to the PGD, and b"h it was successful. Yes, we may eventually discard the unused eggs.

5. B"h I had no side effects from meds. The progesterone shots are the most painful, but they are at the end of the cycle, when there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

6. The finances are complicated. The actual cycle cost approximately $14,000 - $15,000 not including the cost of insurance.

Good luck!

catonmylap

Post Wed, Jun 05 2013, 3:18 pm
amother wrote:
I'm the imamother with the 6 questions tnx for the replies. To the person who found problems afterwards what kind of issues were causing it and when did you find out?

pm me.

amother

Post Sat, Sep 07 2013, 8:44 pm
Question: I'm 10 days post (frozen) transfer. I want to do an at home pregnancy test tonight. Do I need to first morning urine at this point or can I do the pregnancy test tonight? im afraid of a false negative.

amother

Post Sat, Sep 07 2013, 9:21 pm
bump

Mama Bear

Post Sat, Sep 07 2013, 11:16 pm
with frozen embryos, development sometimes starts a little late, so you might get a negative bc the # might be a litlte low. but in general, 12 days post ovulation you can test, so if it's a 3 day transfer u can test 9dpt. a 5day,7dpt.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 9:23 am
mama bear, thanks for responding. It wasnt even a 5 day transfer. they were frozen in may and I had the transfer done on wed, 11 days ago (I did home pregnancy test last night). I had a blood test this morning. So theres still hope??

fromnj

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 12:04 pm
amother wrote:

We are also dealing with MF; somewhere in the middle spectrum. There is sperm but low count & motility. Our next plan of action (after failed IUIs) is ICSI (if we hopefully get some Bonei Olam funding).

I am petrified.

I wish I had the level of emunah you have. I am too afraid to hope because I'm so afraid I'll be disappointed.

green amother

We did IVF+ICSI. My son was conceived from our third IVF/ICSI and my daughter from a frozen embryo transfer from that same cycle (a year later). There is no reason to be any more afraid than for any other procedure. Hatzlacha.

fromnj

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 12:08 pm
amother wrote:
mama bear, thanks for responding. It wasnt even a 5 day transfer. they were frozen in may and I had the transfer done on wed, 11 days ago (I did home pregnancy test last night). I had a blood test this morning. So theres still hope??

I agree with mama bear. I would wait. My DD was an FET. The day my blood test was supposed to come back the lab didn't call. Finally I called them. They called to say my level was 37 and they were sorry, it was likely the cycle didn't work. Well, she is 6.5 years old now!

They froze the embryos immediately? They didn't wait to see which ones would grow properly?

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 12:08 pm
even a frozen transfr is a 3 or 5 day - which day of the cycle was it frozen? but if you say 11 days ago it was probably a 3 day. by now you should probably have your blood results... ((HUGS))if it's not what you expected.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 12:42 pm
still waiting for results..they actually froze it after 7 days bec it was growing slowly. I did ivf for PGD. So I can still be pregnant even though my home pregnancy test was negative 10 days post transfer (and tested at night)?

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 12:12 pm
Do couples have 10 or more children from ivf ?
Is it halachically allowed?

jaylow

Post Tue, Jul 14 2015, 5:55 pm
ow do they retrieve the sperm from the husband?

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Jul 14 2015, 6:27 pm
Not the OP, but I can answer. The couple has sx at home using a special condom provided by the center. Then they put the condom with the sprm into a sterile cup and transport it to the center within 1 hour. The cup is usually held close to the skin (underneath a shirt, inside a pocket) to keep the sample warm.

Some people [finish] directly into the sterile cup. Same procedure follows.

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Jul 14 2015, 8:00 pm
Anybody with extensive IF knowledge freeze eggs, not embryos, for future use? Like for when science does IY"H cath up to the more complex MF issues, so that it's not too late for the women?

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 9:22 pm
Hi,
I have lots of info on egg freezing, if you'd like. I could email you a guide to the egg-freezing process. Email me at eggfreezeexpert@gmail.com to request it.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics