Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Teaching DS to blow his nose

bigsis144

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 7:37 am
DS is almost 3.5 and can only clear his nose by picking it. Rolling Eyes
I trimmed his nails and he's literally crying because he keeps trying to inhale hard little bits of mucus (sorry, TMI) instead of just blowing them OUT. Poor kid has been waking himself (and me) up throughout the night crying, "I can't breathe! I need to smell!"

I've tried making a "tent" over his nose with a tissue and getting him to move it by blowing first with his mouth, and then closing his mouth to blow with his nose, but he doesn't get it.

I tried using a bulb syringe for temporary relief, but he kicks and screams and begs me to leave him alone.

Any advice???

yo'ma

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 7:49 am
I don't know how to teach a child to blow their nose. Some of my kids could do it at that age and some couldn't, no matter how much I tried to show them what to do. To help clear his nose for now, why don't you give him a steam bath/shower?

Last edited by yo'ma on Mon, Apr 22 2013, 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total

SS6099

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 9:36 am
We taught both DS and DD to blow their noses by pretending they're blowing a shofar with the mouth closed. It took coaching and practice but it really worked!

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 9:52 am
SS6099 wrote:
We taught both DS and DD to blow their noses by pretending they're blowing a shofar with the mouth closed. It took coaching and practice but it really worked!

I did this too. First we blow out with our mouth like a shofar. Then we close our mouths and blow through our noses. He caught on very quickly.

greenfire

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 11:18 am
hold his breath and breath out through his nose - only in a tissue

but as a person who quite often gets a stuffed nose - especially in the winter - sorry if it's tmi - but the only way to rid the pieces that are dry is to pick them out but IN A TISSUE of course - also when I wake up in the morning I use water to clear out my nose

perhaps you need to get a vaporizer for his room so that the heat doesn't dry up his nostrils - maybe helping to avoid this issue in the middle of the night - also you can put a smidgen of hemorrhoid cream on a q-tip and swab his inner nostrils to keep them from getting inflamed and irritated - thereby making it easier to breathe

we in our home have a nose weirdness - as we do not [thanx to crazy mom here] blow our noses in public - to the point that one of my daughters got sent to the office in school cause she refused to blow her nose in the classroom embarrassed
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics