Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
I'm a Fashion Designer and Fashion Stylist - Ask me Anything
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

What is your body type?
Pear  
 41%  [ 59 ]
Hourglass  
 40%  [ 58 ]
Apple  
 10%  [ 15 ]
Rectangular  
 7%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 143

amother

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 6:54 am
Yep, a frum Designer and Stylist, a rare type Wink

Let's chat about your taste, body types and find out which clothes and color combinations bring out the best on you! Also... talk about what is the frum ladies missing in the stores, History of Fashion, influences, latest trends...

Let the games begin!

ps: Please answer my poll. You'll help me tons to design the best outfits... for you!

amother

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 6:57 am
I am tall 5'6 and very slim I have a huge pouch belly though. What can I wear to cover that?

chocolate chips

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 6:59 am
I voted hourglass but I am probably just rectangle.
Not particularly large on top, nor below, size xs/s 2-4 and occasionally 0 for my hips.

Do have a mummy tummy, the fat from pregnancy...and that is annoying.

I want some of those gorgeous dresses and skirts in the vogue and glamour magazine, to be 3inches longer so I can think about buying them!

amother

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 7:07 am
amother wrote:
I am tall 5'6 and very slim I have a huge pouch belly though. What can I wear to cover that?

You're probably a lovely Apple.

The larger proportion of your body is carried around the tummy area without a defined waistline.

How to bring out the best of this body type?

You can embrace waist-less styles or use the help of belts for a more fitted style. V-necks or necklaces with a V or U shape will elongate your upper half and take away attention from your midsection.

What to wear?

Wrap dresses that create pleats at the waist will look great on you. Prints also look great. When wearing jackets and sweaters chose the ones whose hems finishes at the hip bone or lower. Avoid cropped jackets.

Leave your tailored or structured jackets open, as they create a slimmer figure. When using belts, try to place them a little bit above your waistline, which is usually the smallest part of your torso.

Try to bring attention to your bottom half with the help of A-line and flared skirts. Pencil skirts at the knee length will elongate your body and look very charming.

Detailed sleeves, such as bell shape sleeves or others with fuller details and embroideries will also balance the attention given to your beautiful slim arms.

Baby-dolls and empire waist look great on you while A-line and full skirts create an “hourglass” illusion.
I’m leaving now to meet some friends, any final tips?

Prints work better on you than solid colors.

If you like pants, avoid the tapered and skinny styles and give preference to comfortable trousers with straight legs.

Do you have any statement necklace and earrings? If yes, wear them with a big smile.

bigsis144

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 7:08 am
Can fashion sense be learned, or is it just inborn?

If instructed, I can learn rules like, "if your chest-waist-hip ratio is x:y, wear empire waist tops. if it's x:z, avoid them". But putting together an outfit, or figuring out colors that complement each other is so hard! I have a sister with AMAZING fashion sense, who with $10 and a thrift shop can come out looking like a million bucks. I'd end up getting a few nice pieces, but not anything you could wear together.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 7:12 am
chocolate chips wrote:
I voted hourglass but I am probably just rectangle.
Not particularly large on top, nor below, size xs/s 2-4 and occasionally 0 for my hips.

Do have a mummy tummy, the fat from pregnancy...and that is annoying.

I want some of those gorgeous dresses and skirts in the vogue and glamour magazine, to be 3inches longer so I can think about buying them!

You're probably a mix of these 2 body types you mention. Most women are a combination of two.
If you ever watched Audrey Hepburn movies, you'll just notice that she was a rectangle and used a lot of cropped jackets and longer dresses/skirts to give her more curves.

For the "mummy tummy", try dresses with pleats in the tummy area. Also, use open jackets. Solid colors bring out attention to your tummy, so consider prints (small shapes).

Since you also have rectangle features, use bigger and circular prints (flowers, for example) when you want to enhance your curves.

Belts love you.

bigsis144

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 7:19 am
I have no idea how to wear belts!

I'm shaped like the letter Y -- no hips, waistline similar to hips thanks to "mummy tummy" (cute term!) and a large bustline, currently even further enhanced because I'm nursing.

I feel like belts make me look top-heavy because they cut my figure in half and draw attention to the disproportionate-ness of my hips to bust.

amother

bigsis144 wrote:
Can fashion sense be learned, or is it just inborn?

If instructed, I can learn rules like, "if your chest-waist-hip ratio is x:y, wear empire waist tops. if it's x:z, avoid them". But putting together an outfit, or figuring out colors that complement each other is so hard! I have a sister with AMAZING fashion sense, who with $10 and a thrift shop can come out looking like a million bucks. I'd end up getting a few nice pieces, but not anything you could wear together.

Any skill can be learned, just takes more effort to master than for those who were naturally born with the talent. I learned that from Will Smith (no, I don't know him personally but watched a few interviews and according to it, he is not an actor, but the practices and studies acting and did it so well that today he is a top name in Hollywood)

First: get to know your body type and try to find pictures of celebrities that have the same body type as yours. Then watch how they (ops, how their fashion stylists!) mix the right colors and fashion styles.

The golden rule is: practice, practice, practice.

Your sister must be an amazing observer. Have fun with her while shopping and make sure to spend the best $10 of your life! Tell us all about it later! Very Happy

Simple1

I'm curious as to who gets to decide what color is in fashion that season? Like it used to be black, then a couple years ago plum purple as added to the black. Then mustard yellow. Now teal and coral. What makes a color all of a sudden pretty because it's the color of the season?

amother

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 7:23 am
bigsis144 wrote:
I have no idea how to wear belts!

I'm shaped like the letter Y -- no hips, waistline similar to hips thanks to "mummy tummy" (cute term!) and a large bustline, currently even further enhanced because I'm nursing.

I feel like belts make me look top-heavy because they cut my figure in half and draw attention to the disproportionate-ness of my hips to bust.

You're probably the Inverted Triangle type. The belts will work better for you if you wear flared or A-line skirts. You need to bring balance between upper and lower body.

How to bring out the best of this body type?

Balance the upper and bottom halves of the body by taking away attention from the bust and bringing it down to the bottom.

What to wear?

A V-neck brings the eyes downwards and creates a slimming effect. A big necklace in V or U shape will also create the same impression and take away attention from the bust area. Fake V necklines and scarves, if tied in V shape also work well.

Full skirts, A-lines and detailed hems bring attention to the bottom half and creates balance. Wearing a fitted, semi-fitted or tailored jacket or sweater that reaches the hip line with buttons opened, will also give the impression of a slimmer figure.

Important notice: Cropped jackets, shoulder pads, big lapels and any other details such as big prints in the upper bodice should be avoided. Dresses with lower waistlines look great on you, specially if they're flared.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 7:25 am
I really could use a stylist. I'm short (4"11) and on the heavier side. I used to have a nice hourglass shape with a large bust, narrow waistline (I'm high waisted) and wider pelvic area. After 4 children, I no longer have a nice waist (not much of any waist left). I've got large calves but nice ankles and I never know what if anything looks good on me.
I will wear below the knee pencil skirts and v-necked tops over a shell typically during the week but shabbos is tricky.
Please help me with ideas

amother

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 7:28 am
Simple1 wrote:
I'm curious as to who gets to decide what color is in fashion that season? Like it used to be black, then a couple years ago plum purple as added to the black. Then mustard yellow. Now teal and coral. What makes a color all of a sudden pretty because it's the color of the season?

A-ha! The right question! Ready for the dirty secret?

1. fashion studies that can literally preview what people will like next year (that's a serious business)
2. manufacturers
3. celebrities (well... they dictate fads...)
4. media (movies, tv series.... BYW, ready for the 20's styles because of the Great Gatsby movie?)
5. special events

What colors will be the main ones for the Summer 2014 since the Worldcup (soccer...booooring, but men just love it) will be held in colorful and amazing Brazil?

amother

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 7:33 am
amother wrote:
I really could use a stylist. I'm short (4"11) and on the heavier side. I used to have a nice hourglass shape with a large bust, narrow waistline (I'm high waisted) and wider pelvic area. After 4 children, I no longer have a nice waist (not much of any waist left). I've got large calves but nice ankles and I never know what if anything looks good on me.
I will wear below the knee pencil skirts and v-necked tops over a shell typically during the week but shabbos is tricky.
Please help me with ideas

That's a very common situation. The change of body type plus the most important fact: regular manufacturers make their clothing for the Average size woman...

What does that mean?

Knowing your height will bring you great benefits when choosing clothes.

Please note that your height does not have anything to do with your sizing, as you could be an XL-Tall or an XL-Petite.

While the sizing corresponds to your body measurements, the height will tell you what’s the right length the garment should have to fit you better.

Did you know that the position of the waistline, hip line and the sleeve “elbow line” change according to your height? As you can see, it’s not just a matter of taking off or adding a few centimeters at the hem.

Are you Petite, Average or Tall Woman?

Petite - corresponds to women who are 5’3” (1.60m) and under.

Average - corresponds to women who are between 5’4” (1.63cm) and 5’8” (1.73cm).

Tall - corresponds to women who are 5’9” (1.75cm) and up.

So... you, my friend, are facing 2 fashion information that will make your shopping experience a great one.

I have a customer who is Petite and used to buy dresses online. All her dresses are Average height... the result? A lot of frustration because the "Average waistline" was at her hipline... which made all her dresses look super fitted....

I had to make major renovations in her wardrobe. Now she is a happy Petite!

Sometimes she still misbehaves and buys dresses for Average/Tall women hahahaha but then we laugh together and discuss what to do with them.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 7:35 am
My adorable ladies, the chat is amazing but I have to go out a little bit.

Please keep posting your Fashion doubts and insights. I learn a lot with all of you. Any comment is really important for me!

I'll be back at night and answer/comment ALL questions/posts.

Have a loooooooooooovely bright day,

The Frum Stylist Cool

amother

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 7:50 am
Hi Frum Stylist! This is awesome! So, I have a tough figure, and from posts here I think I'm not the only one with this problem. I am 5'5". I have a very, very flat chest, with narrow shoulders. I wear a very, very padded bra which comes out to a 32b. I wear a size 2-4on top. On bottom, I have natural padding all around and wear a skirt size 8. I have such a hard time buying clothes, because what fits by my shoulders/chest area, often makes my stomach and behind protrude tremendously. I know one pieces like dresses are no-nos, but in a world where a full chest seems to be the norm, buying clothes that look good is such a challenge... It doesn't help that I have no fashion sense whatsoever. To me, a long black slinky skirt and a sweatshirt are beautiful and comfortable.... I want to dress in style, but am hopelessly lost.
Please help!
Thanks a million! This is a huge chessed!!

lk1234

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 8:32 am
hi fashion designer- ditto for me- what the previous amtoher wrote. I am skinny, flat and tall
Can you recommmend colors, patterns, fabrics ?

amother

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 8:46 am
Can't resist asking you now even though you are out till tonight .... First of all - thank you!!

I always say that I wish someone frum would publish a pamphlet each season with "rules" - what's in - what's out and a big "no -no" - I'm always self conscious about what I'm wearing and how I look. So, you are doing me and many others a HUGE favor!

I am short and a little overweight. Like most short people most of the weight is on my thighs but now I have a stomach too. So I wear tops that cover like till the top of my legs but it gets tricky that it can look maternity sometimes. (BTW I look great in maternity clothing since it covers well all the fatty parts.) I think I look good in open cardigan style with the top button only closed but lately shells are too tight on me so I have to be careful with that.

So I am short (5ft) and about 140-145 lbs and really never know what to wear that will cover up and make me look good! If you have links to possible tops/shirts I would love it!!! Thank you soooo much!!!

amother

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 8:51 am
I'm wondering how much you charge and what your job entails.

What kind of people use a fashion stylist? I would love to but always imagined that it's for the rich (and famous?) - I am neither...

Could plain old me hire someone?

amother

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 9:14 am
I'm 4"11 and thin, and I find it very hard to shop for clothing. The dresses designed for the average woman don't fit well, but are the right length to cover my knees, while the petite size dresses and skirts are too short. Also, many stores that I like to shop in, like Zara's, don't carry petite sizes. Any particular stores, or online sites you can recommend for women like me?

Also, I am shopping online for sandals, and I like these but I'm not sure if a shoe with such a tall height (4 1/2") would look good on someone petite with short, chicken legs? What do you think?
http://www.zappos.com/ugg-luci.....ilk#z
Thanks.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 11:02 am
I'm 5 8 thin 130lbs but have a big behind how do I cover that?
Page 1 of 8   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics