Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Measles ... :(
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 5:15 pm
When your child/children had the measles did your Dr. Report it to the Health department like mine did?
Did you get a call from the Health department?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 5:20 pm
Doctors are required to report it.

When my dd had shigella a few summers back we got a call from the health department as well.

It's not a big deal. No one is accusing you of anything.

They just have to keep track of cases to help with outbreaks.

All you have to do is answer some questions.

Last edited by ra_mom on Wed, Apr 24 2013, 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Kumphort

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 5:20 pm
My child didn't have measles but did have shigella which the doc reported to department of Heath.
They made me give stool samples to prove that it had cleared up, which was not too pleasant to deal with.
The next child whom I suspected had it. I just didn't bring to the doc

I had envisioned visits from child protective services but nothing like that happened. They are just more interested in keeping statistics on this type of stuff

amother

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 5:26 pm
When my husband had Pertusis we got a call from the Department of Health. They just asked some questions nothing personal.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 5:43 pm
My dr had to report my child's elevated lead level. They came down to test my house for lead.

4Sisters

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 6:04 pm
I am a school nurse and it is legally required to report this stuff. I do tell families that, since their child has (fill in the blank. The last time I had to do this it was for chicken pox), I need to report it to the Dept of Public Health and their doctor will likely be doing this as well. They will get a call, but it is NOT for Child Protective Services or anyone wanting to give them tochacha about their vaccination choices. As other said, it is just to "get the numbers" and know what is going around locally.

Try not to take it personally, and I hope your child feels better soon.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 6:07 pm
OP here- They called & wanted to know who the child had contact with & who the babysitter was. Problem is the babysitter isn't legal.. Sad
Just told them it was a family friend & now they are contacting her. I hope she doesn't get in trouble.

Cookies n Cream

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 6:09 pm
Doctors are required to to report it, and the DOH keeps record of all cases so that they can try to track it.
They tracked the current measles outbreak to someone that came in from Israel for Yom Tov.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 6:20 pm
Cookies n Cream wrote:
Doctors are required to to report it, and the DOH keeps record of all cases so that they can try to track it.
They tracked the current measles outbreak to someone that came in from Israel for Yom Tov.

This isn't in the natural parenting forum but I was just curious since I know there are many non-vaccinators on this board, what precautions do you take to make sure your children are not exposed to the disease? If you hear that there is an outbreak, like with the measles now, do you cancel playdates? keep your kids home from school? I'm just curious how you deal with it (not bashing or anything)

amother

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 6:24 pm
amother wrote:
Cookies n Cream wrote:

This isn't in the natural parenting forum but I was just curious since I know there are many non-vaccinators on this board, what precautions do you take to make sure your children are not exposed to the disease? If you hear that there is an outbreak, like with the measles now, do you cancel playdates? keep your kids home from school? I'm just curious how you deal with it (not bashing or anything)

I have the same question.
I have a friend that jgot the measles.
She does not vaccinate.
From what I understand, whoever was exposed to the measles through her, needs to be quarantined for 21 days unless a blood test shows that they are immune.
She is also a teacher, and basically exposed at least 50 kids to the measle before realizing what she has....

Cookies n Cream

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 6:26 pm
amother wrote:
Cookies n Cream wrote:

Well anybody that is exposed and is not immune, is supposed to be quarantined.
Soetimes it can take a while to realize that one was exposed and by then it's too late....
That is how 2 babies under the age of 1 got the measles. They were not vaccinated, becasue they weren't of age for the vaccine...

amother

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 7:39 pm
Cookies n Cream wrote:
amother wrote:
Cookies n Cream wrote:

Soetimes it can take a while to realize that one was exposed and by then it's too late....
That is how 2 babies under the age of 1 got the measles. They were not vaccinated, becasue they weren't of age for the vaccine...

OP here- how do you know 2 babies under 1 got the measles.
I'm not even sure the child has measles, still waiting for the lab results.

Cookies n Cream

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 7:43 pm
amother wrote:
Cookies n Cream wrote:
amother wrote:
Cookies n Cream wrote:

They were confirmed cases in addition to other cases that I know personally in the past couple of weeks.
One person that I know was in the hospital for a week.

vintagebknyc

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 7:49 pm
amother wrote:

I'm not even sure the child has measles, still waiting for the lab results.[/quote]

and how were they exposed to the measles?

Cookies n Cream

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 7:54 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
amother wrote:

and how were they exposed to the measles?[/quote]

It's going around in my community.
They were not the first to get it.
I'm not sure where they were exposed to it, possibly at the doctor's office.

ETA: I know that a child that was here from Israel "brought it". One doctor said that it originated from that child.-I don't know if that is true.

vintagebknyc

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 7:56 pm
Cookies n Cream wrote:
vintagebknyc wrote:
amother wrote:

ETA: I know that a child that was here from Israel "brought it". One doctor said that it originated from that child.[/quote]

an unvaccinated child?

Cookies n Cream

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 7:58 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
Cookies n Cream wrote:
vintagebknyc wrote:
amother wrote:

ETA: I know that a child that was here from Israel "brought it". One doctor said that it originated from that child.

an unvaccinated child?[/quote]

I don't know whether or not that child was vaccinated.
I know three people that have it that were not vaccinated.

EmesOrNT

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 8:26 pm
A teaches was unvaccinated, contracted measles and exposed innocent children? Shame on her.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 8:42 pm
EmesOrNT wrote:
A teaches was unvaccinated, contracted measles and exposed innocent children? Shame on her.

Who said she herself was unvaccinated? People don't know they are carrying measles until symptoms show up. I would assume that she didn't knowingly expose innocent children.

Miri1

Post Thu, Apr 25 2013, 7:31 am
EmesOrNT wrote:

Vaccinating against measles wasn't necessarily the norm when that teacher was a child. Not fair to blame her!
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics