Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Measles ... :(
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 7:46 am
Raisin, the rates may be different in England, but in America, most ppl are vaccinated, especially since it's a pain in a lot of areas to send to school without vaccination.

So let's say 2% of the population is not vaccinated for MMR (I don't know the statistics, I'm making this up), and 1% are allergic to eggs -- that's half of the UNVACCINATED population. Now the unvaccinated population may be 5% and the allergic population may be .05%. I don't really know, but it's not insignificant and implausible to think there are other reasons besides autism that davka the MMR is not given. Autism is just one concern people had, but without that concern, there are people who have not/are not/will not vaccinate (for MMR/anything).

mirror

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 9:35 am
amother wrote:
Op- is there any way u can track the germs and see where ur child caught it from? did anyone else at the same babysitter catch it?

What about cleaning ladies? How do we know which cleaning ladies from foreign countries have been vaccinated?

mirror

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 9:37 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Lots of misunderstandings going around here. I advise people to read things on their own from scholarly sources and not rely on hearsay and alarming articles.

Measles rarely affects a fetus, and even miscarriage I cannot find statistics on in the available medical studies google provided me.

I did find one such study.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8414327

And here is another study. Basically, since so many pregnancies were terminated prematurely, the of the babies that were born alive, there was a high rate of congenital anomalies, higher than had the mother not contracted measles during pregnancy.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/559402

Hashem Yaazor, it is wrong for you to imply that some posters did not do their research, especially when you are clearly talking about me.

Since you claim you can't find studies, please read the ones I posted.

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 2:09 pm
OPINIONATED wrote:
MaBelleVie wrote:
OPINIONATED wrote:
chocolate chips wrote:

With all that said, my sister in law just told me that her neighbor is very anti vaccinations, her daughter and two grandchildren just got measles. Her daughter was hospitalized for it and suffered a miscarriage because of it.
I just don't get it.

She is "lucky" she miscarried. Otherwise, the baby could have been a vegetable (pardon the non-politically correct term).

Because a pregnant woman who gets measles can have a sick baby who needs 24-hour care the rest of its life.

But those who don't vaccinate will insist that they would have gotten it anyway, and that vaccines don't work, so save your time and energy and just bang your head against the wall: Banging head

Please. Besides being crude and insensitive, you are sadly misinformed. Measles is not known to cause birth defects. The main risks are, in fact, miscarriage or premature labor. Wouldn't you bother looking that up before posting something like that?

If a woman gets measles early in pregnancy, the pregnancy is terminated. If she gets it late in pregnancy, the baby can gave congenital anomalies.

Study - 2 babies with congenital anomalies

German Measles (A.K.A. Rubella) causes MAJOR birth defects, and this will soon be a problem in light of the non-vaccinated community.

German Measles - Rubella and birth defects

How does that support your statement? Two babies in the first study were born with minor congenital anomalies. That is a far cry from "a vegetable." And while some pregnancies ended in miscarriage, you can't just say, "the pregnancy is terminated." For some women, yes. Not as a general rule.

Rubella has nothing to do with a woman who contracted measles.

Your studies also happen to be over twenty years old. That is ancient history in the world of modern medicine.

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 2:14 pm
And you cited a 1977 study in response to HY?! You had better hope that your doctors are not practicing medicine from 1977. In particular, neonatal medicine today is miles ahead of where it was then. Premature infant survival rates have increased tremendously.

mirror

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 2:56 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
And you cited a 1977 study in response to HY?! You had better hope that your doctors are not practicing medicine from 1977. In particular, neonatal medicine today is miles ahead of where it was then. Premature infant survival rates have increased tremendously.

That's why vaccinations were invented, to prevent these things from happening in the first place.

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 2:59 pm
OPINIONATED wrote:
MaBelleVie wrote:

We shouldn't be practicing medicine that way, exactly. That's why vaccinations were invented, to prevent these things from happening. Once a pregnant woman gets measles, there is not much the doctor can do to save the pregnancy.

But if communities stop vaccinating their kids, and their kids are susceptible to measles even when pregnant, then we will start to see a recurrence of more women losing their fetuses.

You seem to be missing the point entirely. The point is that you can't just write whatever you want. This is not a matter of opinion, it's a matter or fact.

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 3:40 pm
Also, I may as well point out that the rate of minor congenital anomalies (in babies born to mothers with measles during pregnancy) in that study was LOWER than the rate in the general population. This is not surprising, considering the small sample size.

mirror

Post Sat, Apr 27 2013, 10:23 pm
Premature baby survival rates have increased dramatically, but many have long-term disabilities. A disability is not a congenital abnormality.

A baby born at 25 weeks now has a 50% chance of surviving.

Quote:
However, although an extremely premature baby's chances of survival have risen, the same research also found the proportion of such infants who experience severe disability as a result has not changed. That stood at 18% in 1995 and was 19% in 2006, according to the research.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/soci.....-rise

If you want to use these improved statistics as excuse not to vaccinate your children for measles, just remember that babies born before 22 weeks usually don't survive. This is current data, not from 1977. And despite the efforts of doctors, 19% of premature infants will have long-term disabilities.

But don't let that stop you. I'm sure you don't care.

MaBelleVie

Post Sat, Apr 27 2013, 10:29 pm
You're being incredibly rude. My kids are up to date on their shots.

ElTam

Post Sun, Apr 28 2013, 8:16 pm
Quote:
I would also like to add that a significant amount of people not vaccinated for MMR may be vaccinated for other things, but as this is a live virus vaccine made with egg, those allergic to egg for a long time were told NOT to vaccinate with this vaccine. I've heard recommendations have changed and some people are vaccinating in a hospital setting in case of anaphylactic reaction, but it's judgemental to say that all people who have not vaccinated for this are doing it out of ignorance or because of autism concerns.

I have a child with egg allergies. After consulting with our pediatrician and his allergist, we had him vaccinated for MMR in a controlled setting with a team that could handle if he had gone into shock. We made this choice because of the number of people in our community who don't vaccinate, as well as the number of people who come here from other communities where vaccination rates are low.

Egg allergies are one of the most common food allergies, right behind nuts and dairy, for the person who asked how common. I read a statistic that it's 600,000 people with the allergy in the U.S. B"H they recently revised the rules for flu shots for people with food allergies also, so my little one can get his flu shot, although we have to wait at the doctor's office for 30 mins after to make sure he doesn't react.

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Apr 28 2013, 8:18 pm
I did the same with my egg allergic child. BH he was fine.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 8:09 am
Opinionated, you are definitely opinionated but not really understanding the studies you posted. The studies from 20 and 35 years ago (despite being ancient) did not even prove your point. There was no high rate of abnormalities for measles proven, nor was there indication that measles later on in pregnancy was as dangerous as you claim. Before making inflammatory and alarming remarks, please think about how you post and whom you are addressing, as high stress levels in pregnancy are proven to be detrimental to the fetus.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 8:11 am
Thanks, EITam for confirming what I have heard. I think in the last 10 years or so I've heard more stories of how children were able to get vaccinated despite being allergic to egg, because for a period of time parents were not giving the vaccine due to that issue.

(I wanted to point out to those who judge non-vaxers that there can be many reasons behind not vaccinating; autism is just the one the media likes to jump on. Now, I do believe an outbreak in Wales would very likely be related to Wakefield, but I don't think all American children not vaccinated for this is because of that.)

amother

Post Thu, May 23 2013, 8:02 pm
tissues wrote:
vintagebknyc wrote:
why are people still equating autism with vaccinations when it's been proven the two have no correlation and that all the "science" was made up?

You say that it has been proven the two have no correlation.
Fact is: It has not been proven (yet) that the two have a correlation.
Notice the difference.

the difference is meaningless in terms of action. according to both fear of autism would not be a reason not to vaccinate.

amother

Post Fri, May 24 2013, 9:13 am
The current measles cases were started by an unvaccinated child who came in from England for Pesach. ironically the mumps epidemic a few years ago was traced back to the same family bringing in a contagious chjild for pesach. The difference this time is the measles cases are all among unvaccinated children while the mumps affected vaccinated children who did not develop immunity.

thinkermother

Post Fri, May 24 2013, 9:19 am
My 10 month old was exposed to a child with suspect d measles. Do I give him the vaccine although it won't b entirely effective and hell need another vaccine over age one? Wwyd?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, May 24 2013, 9:27 am
I would speak to my pediatrician.

thinkermother

Post Fri, May 24 2013, 9:31 am
I did. She said ita my option since it not entirely effective and the measles is unconfirmed

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, May 24 2013, 9:33 am
Did she explain what your child was actually at risk of if he did contract the measles?
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics