Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Bathroom products for son (10yrs)

acccdac

Post Sun, Apr 28 2013, 9:42 pm
My son is not ready for deodorant yet, or even axe.

however, he does smell of sweat by the end of the day.

He has always had an issue with his body chemistry and baby shampoo. It always made his hair smell like vomit. I found some that was still tear free but worked well with him. However, I feel like he needs something stronger now.

do you think it's too early to start him on something like the men's line by dove?
do you have any other suggestions?

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Apr 28 2013, 9:47 pm
If he smells like sweat, why is he not old enough? I think 10 year olds these days are ready, or almost ready. But if he's smelling sweaty, then he might be ready. What, is he going to come home at lunch for a shower?

And, I think Axe and products like it are gross - they just cover up the stink and make them smell more.

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Apr 28 2013, 11:32 pm
Anyone who smells of sweat should use deodorant Smile Once that's under control, regular dove soap and shampoo should be fine for keeping things smelling fresh. Its very clean and neutral smelling, not too masculine or feminine or childish.

spring13

Post Sun, Apr 28 2013, 11:41 pm
Axe is not some kind of rite of passage that makes a boy a man. frankly, I think it stinks, and no its not something I'd let my 10 year old anywhere near. I'd strongly discourage older boys from using it for that matter. Ugh!

Make sure he showers regularly and actually washes/scrubs himself thoroughly - maybe get him a body wash and a scrubby pouf if he's only using a bar right now. Try something like Irish Spring that has a fresh scent but isn't overpowering or too "I'm so grown up, I smell like a dude."

momx6

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 12:17 am
My 10 yr old ds uses roll on mens deodorant. I think its arrid.

acccdac

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 12:59 am
this may sound like an odd question, I obviously dont go into the bathroom when he is showering, how would I know if he is showering properly?

After the shower he smells good and looks clean. He never has issues that would stem from lack of cleanliness.

He takes a shower at least once a day. For example today he took a shower after his haircut, played some sports with his brother and then I made him take another shower.

Spring13, why do you feel a poof/body wash is cleaner than a bar of soap?

Isramom8

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 1:06 am
What is Axe, is it not regular deodorant?

I remember Irish Spring smelling very strong. Dove is milder.

I am a firm believer that 10 year olds should use deodorant if they at all need it.

smss

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 2:02 am
I have friends who used baby powder before they started on actual deodorant.

but yeah, why can't he just use deodorant??

smss

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 2:02 am
Isramom8 wrote:

I am a firm believer that 10 year olds should use deodorant if they at all need it.

it has kind of a strong smell....s/t like cologne I'd imagine

smss

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 2:04 am
btw, why is deodorant a "bathroom product"???

Barbara

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 3:43 am
acccdac wrote:
My son is not ready for deodorant yet, or even axe.

however, he does smell of sweat by the end of the day.

He has always had an issue with his body chemistry and baby shampoo. It always made his hair smell like vomit. I found some that was still tear free but worked well with him. However, I feel like he needs something stronger now.

do you think it's too early to start him on something like the men's line by dove?
do you have any other suggestions?

If he sweats, he's going to smell like sweat at the end of the day. Deodorant may help, but if he's playing sports, its not just armpits.

IMNSHO, a 10 year-old is way too old for baby shampoo. Any of the men's lines (Dove, Axe -- yeah, sorry, but boys like it, and there are numerous scents, not all of which are strong) or non-girly shampoos (Fructis, for example) will do. Either bar soap or body wash (see above re shampoo brands).

Barbara

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 3:49 am
smss wrote:
Isramom8 wrote:

it has kind of a strong smell....s/t like cologne I'd imagine

Axe is a line of body care products geared towards teens and tweens. They have shampoo (their dandruff shampoo is excellent, BTW), body wash and body spray (ie, cologne). Other similar lines are Old Spice (not just for your 90 year old grandfather anymore) and American Crew.

DrMom

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 3:52 am
I don't understand the need to buy "men's shampoo" or "men's soap." As long as it isn't super-perfumey, why can't he just use regular soap (Ivory/Dial/Lux/whatever) and shampoo, and (if he smells like sweat) deoderant?

Barbara

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 4:02 am
DrMom wrote:
I don't understand the need to buy "men's shampoo" or "men's soap." As long as it isn't super-perfumey, why can't he just use regular soap (Ivory/Dial/Lux/whatever) and shampoo, and (if he smells like sweat) deoderant?

Lots of women like products with a particular type of scent.

Well, so do lots of men, or more particularly, tween and teen boys.

I don't know what the big deal is one way or another. Its soap and shampoo.

EmesOrNT

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 9:11 am
Am I to understand that he's been using a baby shampoo until now? It's definitely time for a upgrade.

My boys use the same stuff I use. I don't see why the bathroom has to be cluttered up with so many different things. When he's older (bochur age) and has a preference, he's welcome to buy it for himself.

If you feel he needs deodorant, then he isn't too young. Simple as that.

spring13

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 9:49 am
acccdac wrote:
this may sound like an odd question, I obviously dont go into the bathroom when he is showering, how would I know if he is showering properly?

After the shower he smells good and looks clean. He never has issues that would stem from lack of cleanliness.

He takes a shower at least once a day. For example today he took a shower after his haircut, played some sports with his brother and then I made him take another shower.

Spring13, why do you feel a poof/body wash is cleaner than a bar of soap?

it was worth asking, not every 10 year old is so attentive to his personal hygiene. If that were the issue, a pouf might induce some more thorough scrubbing. But it seems like his problem, as it were, is just that he needs normal (ie: not baby) soap/shampoo and that yeah, deodorant might be in order. If you're concerned about the scent being too mature or something, get him a fragrance-free one - Mitchum makes fragrance-free deodorant.

acccdac

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 10:01 am
EmesOrNT wrote:
Am I to understand that he's been using a baby shampoo until now? It's definitely time for a upgrade.

My boys use the same stuff I use. I don't see why the bathroom has to be cluttered up with so many different things. When he's older (bochur age) and has a preference, he's welcome to buy it for himself.

If you feel he needs deodorant, then he isn't too young. Simple as that.

He's been using tear free shampoo and a bar of soap
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics