Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Going to work sick

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 12:02 pm
When my kids were little & didn't feel well, unless they had fever or were throwing up, they went to school and I told them if they didn't get better, they should call me and I'd come get them.

I use the same principal for myself.

However, yesterday, after about 2 hours of work, I decided that I had to go home - and the bosses gave me all kinds of grief about leaving - reminding me about phone calls that had to be made, copies that had to be made, notarizing to be done, closings to schedule, and the cherry on the cake - could I stay until the receptionist at least got back from lunch?

I said, sure, let me just throw up first. No one laughed.

So - I did some of th work, and when others said - hey, we don't want to get sick too - I put on my coat and left.

I do not think I will judge myself so harshly anymore - it's easier just not to come in - if I feel better, maybe I should have come later.......

greenfire

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 12:05 pm
why do you need 2 posts for this

You should have just stayed home to begin with - nobody likes a thyphoid mary - I used to think it was horrible when I would see my kids friends going to school sick - you need to take care

feel better CM

DefyGravity

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 12:09 pm
Definitely don't try to be super-human and go to work even when sick. It's not fair to yourself OR the people that you're gonna contaminate.

Basya

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 12:10 pm
I hate going to work sick!

Refuah Shelaima!

mumoo

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 1:14 pm
two days ago I went to work. towards 1:00, (I leave at 1:15) I started to feel a little off. By the time I got home I was feeling lousy and was sick for the next 12 hours with a stomach thing. The next morning I was fine, and I went to work.

I menntioned something "my dd did while I was in bed" not feeling well and I got an earful of how horrid I am for coming to work and selfish and rude...

Was it wrong to come to work if I wasn't sick?

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 4:06 pm
To clarify - I have had the stomach flu for over a week. I felt well enough to do most of my normal activities, but not all of them . . . . and Thursday morning, I had had enough of doing even the "most" of them.

mumoo

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 4:25 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
To clarify - I have had the stomach flu for over a week. I felt well enough to do most of my normal activities, but not all of them . . . . and Thursday morning, I had had enough of doing even the "most" of them.

sorry cm if I hijacked the thread-and in the process, made you feel bad for going to work. Totally and completely, I support your decision. I think we are grown ups and can guage whether we should work or not. Your post just reminded me of the opposite, but same situation where I did think I could work and I got hollered at instead-like I can't judge my own health.

That's why I asked, on your thread-if I was out of line for going to work

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Feb 17 2007, 9:12 pm
No, no - I think that's fine.

cl

Post Sat, Mar 10 2007, 7:21 pm
I only work 2 days a week so unless im so sick I cnat get out of bed I really try an go in for a few hours.

Last week, I had the worst cold, sneezing, coughing an we work in an old old building with damp n dust issues which im sure aggravates the situation but I worked anyway.

Im sure my colleagues were not impressed my constant hacking cough but HEY they were the same ones who a month ago complained I wasnt pulling my weight cos I left early the week DS had chicken pox an the following week during winter vacation when daycare closed earlier than usual - so let them all catch my sickness an see if I care...

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Mar 10 2007, 10:44 pm
I recently had two weeks of the stomach virus, then about a week and a half later, got a bad cold and coughed - crazy hard - for two full weeks straight. Hard enough to make people turn around and think I was lo oleinu dying!

But there is no way I could have taken a month off of work!!!

As I've said before - unless a person is throwing up or has fever (and let's add diarrhea to that list, sorry TMI), okay, and maybe other certain catchy illnesses, they can be at work or school - however it IS a rachmonus for ppl in their path!!!!!

mumoo

Post Sun, Mar 11 2007, 12:36 pm
I am always torn between wanting to baby my children when they have rough colds, coughing, stuffed up, etc and I know they feel lousy, and making them go to school anyway so they should learn the 'work ethic.' I don't want to infect other children, for sure, but people can't really stop their lives everytime they have a cold. I am makpid the 24 hours after a fever or stomach 'issues' but for a cold? It's sometimes hard to decide.

ssbarnes

Post Sun, Mar 11 2007, 12:46 pm
I used to always go into work no matter how I felt. I figured that getting a little done was better than nothing. I also had my own offfice, so I didn't see myself as spreading the germs.

My lost position, my boss told me that if I wasn't well, I was not to come in to work. It was more important to take care of myself.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics