Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Shavuos Menus and Recipes!!
1  2  Next

anonymrs

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 9:39 pm
So far here is my menu, but I'm not loving it and looking for ideas. I'd love if everyone could post what they're making. Thanks!!

Tuesday Night:

Homemade challah
dips (tomato, jalapeno, and mustard)

poached salmon in mustard sauce on a bed of lettuce

Hawaiian chicken
honey rice
carrot muffins
snow peas and carrot bundles

lemon sorbet in lemon shells

Wednesday:

challah and dips

Asian steak salad (if I can dig up the recipe)

Balsamic glazed club steak
pasta with broccoli agli olio
garlic green beans
mini broccoli kugels (that's for myself Smile )

Wednesday night:

challah and dips

Chicken pouches with mushroom sauce

Garlic chicken
mashed potatoes with fried onions
sauteed peppers
Need one more thing

Thursday we are planning to eat out.

I need more dessert ideas also. But open to suggestions for changing things on the menu. THanks!!

Books

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 9:52 pm
Today I saw strawberries stuffed with cheesecake that looked amazing! A non-Jewish co-worker had brought them in so I couldnt taste it, but I think I'm going to try making it for dessert this year.
My guess is that he used a no-bake cheesecake recipe, scooped out the huge strawberries, and used a piping bag to fill in the strawberries with the cake batter.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Apr 30 2013, 8:53 pm
I haven't started much planning yet, we aren't entertaining too much in the evenings (yt starts too late for families with kids). But one thing for sure, men will be staying for tikkun the first night, which inevitably involves icecream/cheese cake break. So we definitely will NOT be serving meaty for the first night dinner.

CPenzias

Post Tue, Apr 30 2013, 8:59 pm
No fleishig on shavuos!!! NO!!!!!!

Penne a la vodka
greek salad
lasagna
salmon
broccoli cheese quiche
cheese blintzes
veggies and dip

Sorry, that's all I could come up with off the top of my head

Superwife

Post Tue, Apr 30 2013, 9:04 pm
anonymrs. what is the recipe for the chicken pouches with mushroom sauce? sounds yum!

some dessert ideas include chocolate peppermint ice cream cake, tiramisu, brownie ice cream sandwiches, strawberry shortcake trifle, razzle pie, yogurt dipped frozen strawberries (dairy), chocolate mousse cake, ambrosia, compote, custard mousse cups....

amother

Post Tue, Apr 30 2013, 9:13 pm
I have made the cheesecake filled strawberries. You take cream cheese whip with powdered sugar and vanilla and pipe into strawberries

lovely1

Post Tue, Apr 30 2013, 10:50 pm
Anonymrs, what's the recipe for snow peas and carrot bundles? I would like to make it.

carmelita

Post Tue, Apr 30 2013, 11:34 pm
Fun dessert to make with kids - make a round dome shaped cake and ice it green and decorate as har sinai. Also if you have a costco they sell different color fingerling potatoes you can spice with oil, garlic, rosemary etc as a delicious side.

JerseyShore

Post Wed, May 01 2013, 8:44 pm
my mother used to make a mock lobster salad for Shavout lunch. I was thinking about that today:

1/4 c. mayonnaise
1/4 c. lemon juice
2 tbsp. finely chopped onion
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 lb. cold cooked haddock or cod, flaked
2 c. chopped cucumber (1 med.)
2 c. chopped celery
Lettuce
In a large bowl stir together mayonnaise, lemon juice, pimento, onion, salt and pepper. Add fish, cucumber and celery; toss to coat evenly. Chill. Serve on lettuce. Makes about 4 (1 cup) servings.

anonymrs

Post Wed, May 01 2013, 10:01 pm
lovely1 wrote:
Anonymrs, what's the recipe for snow peas and carrot bundles? I would like to make it.

The recipe is in KBD Entertains, let me know if you want me to post it or if you have it.

lk1234

Post Wed, May 01 2013, 10:20 pm
anonymrs- is asian steak the recipe for asian steak salad.

How would you cook it ? on the stovetop?

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 01 2013, 10:35 pm
Lk, google 'Asian skirt steak salad kosher by design'

The full recipe with instructions will come up on aish.com's website.

anonymrs

Post Wed, May 01 2013, 10:38 pm
Superwife wrote:
anonymrs. what is the recipe for the chicken pouches with mushroom sauce? sounds yum!

some dessert ideas include chocolate peppermint ice cream cake, tiramisu, brownie ice cream sandwiches, strawberry shortcake trifle, razzle pie, yogurt dipped frozen strawberries (dairy), chocolate mousse cake, ambrosia, compote, custard mousse cups....

It's not an official recipe embarrassed It's made up but we enjoy it.

FILLING

Diced onion, very fine pieces
Diced red, yellow, and/or orange pepper, very fine pieces

Sautee onion, then add peppers and sautee.

Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder.

Make a "cheat roux" by sprinkling flour over the mixture and mixing it. Then slowly add boiling chicken broth while mixing.

I use frozen pastry dough squares and put a mound of filling in the middle. Then either bring it all together and turn it upside down so it looks like a mound. Or what I like to do better is to gather up the edges and tie a string around it so it looks something like [url=http://www.koyalwholesale.com/p13968/satin-drawstring-bag-w-woven-pearl-accents-7-x-10.html?gclid=CNnfi5yv9rYCFYHe4AodmwoAHA&&jadid=8973762363&jap={adposition}&jkId=gpt:pt_529&js=1&jsid=27745&jt=1&jr=http://www.koyalwholesale.com/p13968/satin-drawstring-bag-w-woven-pearl-accents-7-x-10.html&gclid=CNnfi5yv9rYCFYHe4AodmwoAHA]this, sort of[/url]

Mushroom Sauce

Sauteed onions
Fresh mushrooms, sliced and sauteed

Season with salt, pepper, soy sauce.

Sprinkle flour over the top, same as before and add boiling chicken soup to desired consistency.

anonymrs

Post Wed, May 01 2013, 10:42 pm
Neither of those are my recipe for Asian Steak Salad. My recipe has apricot jam in the dressing. I'm going to look for it tomorrow and let you know exactly what it is.

lovely1

Post Wed, May 01 2013, 10:50 pm
anonymrs wrote:
lovely1 wrote:

The recipe is in KBD Entertains, let me know if you want me to post it or if you have it.

I do not have the KBD Entertains. If you have the time, I would appreciate if you post it for me. TIA

lk1234

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 8:57 am
here's the link

thank you ra- mom!

aussie2

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 9:51 am
anonymrs.- You mentioned you need ideas for desserts. How about lemon tarts? It goes well w/ meat or dairy ad its great for the summer weather.
I am going to do a dairy ice cream or mousse for our dairy meal.
Another pareve yummy dessert is toll house cupcakes w/ vanilla ice cream.
Let me know if you want any recipes

aussie2

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 9:53 am
anonymrs. - can you post the recipe for hawian chicken and broccoli kugel?

saw50st8

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 11:27 am
You are all making me feel like shavuos is around the corner! I need to get menu planning - we are having company for both lunch days.

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 7:00 pm
JerseyShore wrote:
my mother used to make a mock lobster salad for Shavout lunch. I was thinking about that today:

1/4 c. mayonnaise
1/4 c. lemon juice
2 tbsp. finely chopped onion
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 lb. cold cooked haddock or cod, flaked
2 c. chopped cucumber (1 med.)
2 c. chopped celery
Lettuce
In a large bowl stir together mayonnaise, lemon juice, pimento, onion, salt and pepper. Add fish, cucumber and celery; toss to coat evenly. Chill. Serve on lettuce. Makes about 4 (1 cup) servings.

JerseyShore, is your mom from South Africa or from Curacao by any chance? The recipe you quoted is almost identical to respective communities "signature dish" served for kiddush lunch!

Anonym, another dessert you can do that's good for meaty or milky is pavlova. Basically baked meringue round topped with cream or custard and fruits (berries esp). You can probably find meringue shells at some stores.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics