Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Dear people who organize meals
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother

Post Fri, May 10 2013, 1:45 pm
I am currently pp and receiving meals. its WONDERFUL and I really thank those who have cooked for me and the person organizing it.

I have one HUGE request that I think most new moms would agree with...

Fridays are madness. Is there any better way to do shabbos drop offs? Today alone I have had starting at 9:15 am 8 different people come by to drop coming off. I have been woken form 2 naps. been made to shop nursing 3 times and even had one lady (I don't know who) OPEN MY DOOR AND WALK IN MY HOUSE (I had forgotten to lock it from opening it so many times today) when I did not answer fast enough (nursing in my bedroom).

I am suppose to get meals for shvout. I am not sure how I will manage cooking but after today I am asking that meals not be delivered. its just too much to expect a new mom to be able to drop things so many times in a day with no warning whatsoever to come to the door. These people are not even calling first!!!!

Please organize fridays better. drop off at someones house then take that to the new mom all at once.

watergirl

Post Fri, May 10 2013, 1:52 pm
True dat.

peppermint

Post Fri, May 10 2013, 2:14 pm
tell the person organizing meals to tell everyone to drop everything off between the hours of 4-7pm or whatever time works for you.
Or leave a note on the front door saying you are resting and they should please leave everything by the door (or back door). Just make sure you frequently check by the door so nothing spoils.

wereafamily

Post Fri, May 10 2013, 2:57 pm
My friend just had a baby, she has no family to help her out, who organizes meals? Are you from Boro Park?

amother

Post Fri, May 10 2013, 3:08 pm
wereafamily wrote:
My friend just had a baby, she has no family to help her out, who organizes meals? Are you from Boro Park?

In our neighborhood a friend organized it. there are a few ladies who will do if no one else is available but mostly its all friends and neighbors.

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 10 2013, 3:10 pm
wereafamily wrote:
Oseh Chesed will provide 2 weeks of suppers OR 4 days of help with the baby/dishes/laundry (4 hours each day). Please note their ladies are not cleaning woman and will not clean homes.

amother

Post Fri, May 10 2013, 3:20 pm
So, I'm actually the one who walked into your house (at least I think so, it all fits the picture). I am terribly terribly sorry, I hope I can see you in person and apologize too. I think I just assumed, it was opened, maybe like walk in and leave it-you were just sitting nursing so you couldn't get to the door. Either way I am so sorry and hope that you don't decline meals for shavous because of this madness. I think it's a good idea to leave a sign saying leave it outside. You should still get meals. You just had a baby.

Mazal tov and sorry again for the trouble.

supermommy07

Post Fri, May 10 2013, 3:56 pm
I just want to say that I think its wonderful that you have so many friends making shabbos for you. In my community two people make shabbos for the new mom. I just made a whole friday night meal for a friend,a family of 6. My husband delivered it as soon as he got home from work which was about an hour and a half before shabbos... I sure hope that she wasent annoyed with the delivery time because it took lots of effort and $$$$$ to send everything!

shiffycc

Post Fri, May 10 2013, 6:36 pm
In my community many times the meals will go to one place and then there will just be one drop off. Maybe two, if the meals are coming from different neighborhoods. Then again, we are out of town and that might not fly in ny.

lili

Post Sat, May 11 2013, 11:50 am
peppermint wrote:
tell the person organizing meals to tell everyone to drop everything off between the hours of 4-7pm or whatever time works for you.
Or leave a note on the front door saying you are resting and they should please leave everything by the door (or back door). Just make sure you frequently check by the door so nothing spoils.

I dont think it's right to tell ppl when to deliver the food.
dont forget, she is at the receiving end!
put a sign by your door and ask ppl to leave the food outside and check every so often when it's convenient for to bring the food inside.
or have your dh pick the food up.
ppl are working hard to make the food, it's not right to tell them when they have to deliver it.
that's just my opinion

Liba

Post Sat, May 11 2013, 12:35 pm
I thin the best solution is finding a neighbor who can be the "drop off spot." Once everything has been delivered OPs DH can go pick it all up at once.

amother

Post Sat, May 11 2013, 7:34 pm
if you have specific requests about how you would like food dropped off- sent to a neighbor, all at one person's house, or only at specific times that needs to be communicated to the organizer, you can't expect them to guess what works for you. I organized meals for one neighbor who was very clear that she needed supper dropped off by 430 as she likes to feed her kids as they come in the door, it was very helpful that she was so precise because I was able to communicate that to be people I asked to cook for her and if they couldn't do that they where free to say no. I feel for you and know how difficult it can be but everyone is different and most people who are cooking would like to do the chessed fully but need to be told in advance. When I had my baby my husband was on a limited diet so I told the organizer that I only wanted proteins/vegetables and salad and that if it was too expensive for someone then no problem, and if she could only find me 3 meals also no problem I just didn't want to have trays of lasagna and meatballs and spaghetti in my fridge which no one would eat. if your family dislikes something then let the organizer know so she can tell people what you don't want. communication is key, Imamother is great for venting but if you want to change something, tell someone. Mazel Tov and I hope you get some rest.

wereafamily

Post Sat, May 11 2013, 8:25 pm
ra_mom wrote:
wereafamily wrote:
Oseh Chesed will provide 2 weeks of suppers OR 4 days of help with the baby/dishes/laundry (4 hours each day). Please note their ladies are not cleaning woman and will not clean homes.

Wow, thats really amazing! Would you by any chance have their number or any idea how I can get it?

ra_mom

Post Sat, May 11 2013, 8:56 pm
wereafamily wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
wereafamily wrote:

Wow, thats really amazing! Would you by any chance have their number or any idea how I can get it?
I will try to PM you with their number.
Be aware that I think they usually end up sending less than 2 weeks of supper. So don't count on the whole 2 weeks.

ra_mom

Post Sat, May 11 2013, 8:59 pm
OP, I think a note saying something like 'thank you so much for your generous help! we are napping now so kindly leave your package in the box below and write your name so we can properly thank you' (attach a pen) is the way to go.
It needs to be easy for both the giver and the receiver.
Mazel Tov!

Ema of 5

Post Sat, May 11 2013, 9:33 pm
ra_mom wrote:
OP, I think a note saying something like 'thank you so much for your generous help! we are napping now so kindly leave your package in the box below and write your name so we can properly thank you' (attach a pen) is the way to go.
Mazel Tov!

I dont think having people drop off their food at one house so one person can deliver everything is any harder than dropping it off individually at the new mothers house. ive never organized, but all the times that I have made part of shabbos for a new mom, I always dropped it off at the organizers house, and then she took the whole meal over. I wouldnt want people dropping food off and leaving it outside. it could end up being outside for a few hours, or animals could get into, or where I live, someone might take it....

ra_mom

Post Sat, May 11 2013, 9:38 pm
eema of 3 wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
Mazel Tov!

I dont think having people drop off their food at one house so one person can deliver everything is any harder than dropping it off individually at the new mothers house. ive never organized, but all the times that I have made part of shabbos for a new mom, I always dropped it off at the organizers house, and then she took the whole meal over. I wouldnt want people dropping food off and leaving it outside. it could end up being outside for a few hours, or animals could get into, or where I live, someone might take it....
The mom can head outside between nursing sessions and naps to bring the food in.

Ema of 5

Post Sat, May 11 2013, 10:20 pm
ra_mom wrote:
eema of 3 wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
Mazel Tov!

The mom can head outside between nursing sessions and naps to bring the food in.

assuming shes not like me and forgets everything 10 seconds after it happens Smile but seriously, if you are already taking a meal to someone, why is it harder to drop it off at one house than at another? what difference does it make if you drop it at the new moms house, or at someone elses house? obviously if you live around the corner or whatever then you arent going to want to go to the other side of town, but I dont see why everything cant be dropped of at one central location and then be taken over when its all ready.

5mom

Post Sat, May 11 2013, 10:24 pm
Mazel tov on the baby!!
If you have a porch, leave a picnic cooler outside. People can drop off the food in the cooler and you can bring it inside at your convenience.

ra_mom

Post Sat, May 11 2013, 10:28 pm
eema of 3 wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
eema of 3 wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
Mazel Tov!

assuming shes not like me and forgets everything 10 seconds after it happens Smile but seriously, if you are already taking a meal to someone, why is it harder to drop it off at one house than at another? what difference does it make if you drop it at the new moms house, or at someone elses house? obviously if you live around the corner or whatever then you arent going to want to go to the other side of town, but I dont see why everything cant be dropped of at one central location and then be taken over when its all ready.
I hear you.
But the moms I know who help with meals don't have time to keep answering the doorbell and taking packages either. They're usually at work and somehow manage to find an extra 10 minutes in their day just to drop off the food they prepared at midnight the night before.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette